Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Walking out of a dollar store today, some guy pulls up in a minivan and asks me if I want to buy a flat screen TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I hope you said "Yes please!" :)

I told him only if it was 4k. He flipped me a finger and drove off.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Did they actually say flatscreen TV? Because lol at the idea of buying a CRT one, even dirt cheap, in TYOOL 2016.

He actually said flatscreen tv.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Maerlyn posted:

Several years ago I was talked into giving my checking account information over the phone...I can't remember what the company name was but I seem to remember it had something to do with a "free" cruise. The guy I spoke to asked for me to confirm my checking account number (I don't remember the rationale, probably "fees") and when I balked he put his supervisor on the phone who really pushed the whole "confirming" my account bullshit, like they already knew my account number and I just needed to verify it. I was getting annoyed and just wanted to get off the phone, so instead of just hanging up on them like I should have done I gave them my account info. I went online and looked up the company and quickly found reports of people complaining about unauthorized charges, so the next morning I went to the bank and shut the account down before any transactions occurred.

So... all it takes to get your bank account info is be annoying? Are you my 70 year old rapidly-going-senile aunt?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

photomikey posted:

It's tax free, so in the US, they're already making 30% more than someone with a job. Seriously, what would one make slogging away at minimum wage? $9/hr? Over an 8 hour day, $72 and then uncle sam takes $15 or $20, you walk with $55 or so?

Ah yes, the "constantly stating complete and utter lies" line of arguments. It's not a good argument.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pastor of muppets posted:

My friend told this story today. Not really a scam per se since no money exchanged hands, but back when we were in college, he and his new room mate responded to a Craigslist ad about a too-good-to-be-true rental and were told to come to the open house on X date and time at X address.

They showed up at the address and it was a church. This place was using the ad to lure in college students to recruit for their youth group. :psyduck:

"We're lying for God!"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really hope this is a resurgence of my all time favourite scam... http://www.tomsguide.com/us/man-sells-oven-door-hdtv,news-4443.html

It's probably the usual 'garbage electronics being sold as if its high end' one, but one can dream.

Nah, that scam definitely still happens. This was something different though, it was just one dude in a minivan, not a couple of guys in a 1 ton or cube van.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I've had sellers straight up send me Amazon gift cards for 5 star reviews. They didn't ask beforehand, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I realized it was just a scam, it just really threw me off at the time though since it was so out of the blue. I'm a bit embarrassed that I overreacted to it now.

You didn't give your bank account information to someone who was annoying you over the phone so don't worry, you're not the dumbest person in this thread.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Laopooh posted:

Yeah I got hit with the fake damage thing by PurCo, some scammer company in Utah. I wrote them a letter and they immediately dropped the case. I still wonder if the Hertz manager was in on it, or if it was just some employee who'd slip them customer info in return for a kickback. The damage charge was also not ridiculously high so I could see some people paying up to not have to deal with the hassle.

My father actually got hit with this about a year ago when he got a rental while his car was being repaired. Returned car, passed post-rental check, and then he suddenly got a bill two weeks later for nearly $800. I live in BC and we have a Crown Corporation that handles car insurance instead of private companies so he let the insurer deal with it. The case was dropped and the rental place apparently got a serious fine out of the deal. They were trying to charge him $800 for a scratch along the side of the car.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Male Man posted:

I'm pretty sure that was less "commonly available information" and more "outright tax fraud".

Nah, that was the commonly available information one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

About 10 years ago when I was going in to the third year of my degree program someone called and left a message on my cell that I had won a $2500 scholarship that I hadn't applied for, and that they needed my Social Insurance Number (same as SSN) for "tax purposes".

Went in person to the school office and it turned out that yes, I had in fact won a $2500 scholarship, they really did need my SIN for tax purposes and the person who called me was just too stupid to leave a message that didn't sound like a scam.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Not for nothing and it's not a scam, but has anyone noticed that in every watch ad the hands are set to 10 and 2? I wonder why that is? I discovered it 20 years ago when I used to do a lot of collage art and wound up making a whole piece on it titled "10 After 10".

Apparently, this hand placement is the most esthetically pleasing position and generates more sales of watches. poo poo, Shinola or otherwise.

It makes the watch face look "happy". It's not a secret.

Also, Shinola just got slapped big time by the FTC over their Made in the USA branding because just about all of their components are foreign made and simple assembly doesn't meet the legal distinction required for that term.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I read on a watch forum once it's because that's where most brands put their logo and it's a framing thing :shrug::

Also lol that Shinola got hit for their main marketing strategy. They have some decent designs, but their prices are outrageous

I photographed jewelry professionally for a number of years. It's happy face. If you look at watch photographs sometimes when a watch is presented at an angle instead of straight on the hands will be moved so they still have the same spacing and location.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

Do you know offhand why they choose 10:10 instead of 1:50? (i.e. reversing the position of the hour and minute hand)?

When you examine the face of another person your gaze invariably travels from your left to your right (the right side of their face to the left side). This is species wide and not due to culture or upbringing - people display emotions on their face from right to left. Putting the shorter hand on the left side of the face makes it initially look more like a smile since your mouth doesn't reach to the edge of your face.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Even if it's true that it's a smile, it would be interesting to know if it actually has an effect on people. It might be simply a guess that has just become quackery over time

10:10 is used specifically because it looks like a smile, for the reason I stated and the left-right gaze bias is well established. Of course you're right, it could be a complete coincidence that that specific hand position has been proven the most aesthetically pleasing but I think it's funner to think that there's a connection.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 3, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Original_Z posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say the price is only about the brand name. Especially with Quartz watches, the more you pay the more features you get. Sure, a $50 watch will be keep good time, but as you go up in price you start getting things like sapphire crystal, better water and magnetic resistance, titanium or diamond like coating, radio or GPS time sync, solar charging, automatic hand adjustment, etc. Automatic watches are a bit more tricky to quantify, but for sure they're more of a jewelry piece and nicer looking watches simply cost more money while adding complications, and there's usually a history of the manufacturer and a prestige involved as well.

Sure, a $20 Timex will keep time just as well as a Rolex, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the watch industry is a scam! The only scam watches, outside of fakes, are those produced by fashion brands like Gucci where you are literally overpaying for the brand name, most of the brands just outsource to Fossil anyway.

Bull. There are a lot of "legitimate" Swiss brands that buy parts wholesale from China, switch enough components to call the movement "Swiss Made" and jack up the price. The Claro-Semag CL-888 (used in lower end swiss autos) is a Chinese made Seagull ST-16 (retail price about $12) with the balance replaced and called a Swiss movement. Cases, crystals, hands, dials, and bands are often all Chinese. Why? The standard for sticking "Swiss Made" on a watch is pathetically low.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The counterfeit watch industry is loving weird. You can get everything from $10 flea market garbage to $1000+ copies that are nearly perfect, with swiss made mechanical movements, sapphire crystals and quality machining work on the case/bands. At that sort of price you can get all sorts of authentic Swiss three-handers from Tissot, Oris, Hamilton, or any other number of companies but there's clearly a market because the drat things keep being made.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly I'd rather not draw any more attention to myself by merely reporting someone else. If she were an imminent threat or there was obvious evidence that a crime was taking place, sure, that wasn't really the case.

This is kind of stupid.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Stupid, irrational people do stupid, irrational things.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But what does it MEAAAAAAAAAANNN??!?! :derp:

That the poster maker's TRUE NAME is actually "Holy poo poo This Dude Sniffs A Lot Of Glue!"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Araenna posted:

I got an e-mail a few days ago from a senator (that somehow ended up in my spam folder) about a class action lawsuit settlement I might be eligible for against Nigerian scammers.

:ironicat:

Pfft, only a Senator?. I got an e-mail from Michelle Obama about it. :smugbert:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

This compilation is pretty great not least because the hill almost all these assholes choose to die on is a simple license checkpoint. Also, I'm still not sure that first cop isn't actually Robert Patrick.

https://youtu.be/QCozh_vbYdM

There should be a law about using a taser on SovCits.

Namely, a law that states that police must taser them at any and all opportunities.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Primerica is better described as a financial services company that works like a real estate firm. They're legitimate and they'll hire just about anyone but to make a living you have to work your rear end off as a commissioned salesman or recruit others to do the same.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

The fact that MLM schemes are generally legal does not make them legitimate. They are at best legal scams.

The fact that people don't like MLM doesn't make them scams (though many are). Primerica's been around for like, 40 years in a really highly regulated industry. They've been in Canada for 20+ years, and our finance industry is much more highly regulated than in the US. I mean, "legal scam" and all that bullshit but they stand up to very close scrutiny from a regulatory standpoint.

(I'm a financial advisor and run in to them on a semi-regular basis).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Make sure just to take a small lick. Crypto lockers have a ferric taste while spyware comes with a tinge of sulphur

What if it tastes like hobo pee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

How do those pages that pop up and tell you that "Windows has had an ERROR! and has been halted until you phone this number" work? I just got one and alt-cntrl-del'd out of it (scanning with Malwarebytes then AVG right now), but I know people who have been hit by them and have actually called.

Like what does that page do to make your browser stop working? Also, how concerned should I be?

I have been called at least three times by my parents about those goddamned popups so yes, they work on somebody.