Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Depressio111117 posted:

Wellp, joke's on me. Just got a call from two numbers in my home town (which I haven't called in years, but I still have that area code) saying they got calls from my number. Swell.

Do I need to change my number?

I think they usually spoof one number for a short time, then switch to another.

Don’t change it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Last night I parked at a parking garage.

Normally it’s a self‐serve affair where I take a ticket at the entrance and pay at a machine just before leaving.

This time, there was an attendant taking cash at the entrance. Not in a booth, just sitting there by the self‐serve machine.

It occurred to me that this could be a version of the “out of order bank deposit” scam.

In the end it wasn’t, but a well‐run scam would have been indistinguishable from weekend operating procedure at this garage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

starkebn posted:

It will only work if the scammers can somehow control the boom gates though.

The attendant sat right there and pushed the button on the self‐serve machine. It would have opened and dispensed a ticket whether or not she wore a ten‐dollar uniform.

At that point, there was no way to know if it was a scam. I half expected to return to an unmanned exit and only be able to raise the barrier by paying again, to the right people.

But there was a guy at the exit who raised the barrier for my ticket and no further payment, so if it was a scam, they weren’t scamming me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

It’s digital cable. They log that poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

BiggerBoat posted:

I gathered up the boxes and remotes and poo poo out of the two bedrooms I wasn't using about 2 or 3 days after the cancel order and when I went to do the living room, I left it on to see if they'd honored my request to shut it off and was surprised when it worked. I've had instances in the past where TV service came through even though i wasn't ordering so decided to hang on to the remaining box and remote until the TV went out.

What does holding on to the box get you?

If they say “oh actually we were piping cable to your address for the last six months and we’re billing you for it” you say “I returned all your equipment. Here is a copy of the receipts. So what if your techs failed to cut off the feed? I clearly wasn’t using it because I no longer had any cable boxes.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Common scam: be a telecom company and write your contracts to take advantage of rubes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

BiggerBoat posted:

No one's spoken about Amway and MLM in a while but, skimming the thread, I've noticed some people actually say that they "know a friend who made $xx,xxx. He showed me a check". to which I say, no. No he or she did not.

You may have seen a check for say $10,000 but what they're not telling you is that it's not net profit and that they bought $9,000 worth of bullshit that month/year/whatever. I have a real hard on for MLM's and those that get wrapped in it, similar to mega churches and faith healers. They grind my gears and piss me off.

BTW, I know I said I'd let it drop but I also promised a follow up to my posts about Comcast.

Surprised to see so many defenders of this poo poo company on here and people mis reading what i was saying but they credited and back dated my cancellation, acknowledged that there was no time table on returning the equipment and confirmed what I had posted; that I was ONLY supposed to be charged for unreturned boxes and NOT the TV and phone I cancelled.

So there's that.

Whoa, Comcast’s PR firm is now posting comments on dead comedy fora.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Cyrano4747 posted:

Every time I rented in Germany I got a long lecture from the landlord or whoever I was subletting from to the effect of "they will try to barge their way in because you're foreign and they assume you don't know the law, tell them to gently caress off."

Germany had a real rash of that not long ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Professor Shark posted:

This is a great link, drat. I never thought to factor in when I went to buy a car and how it plays a part in how taken advantage of you were. I'm blown away that dealers actually take a lose on cars.

So wait, when do I want to buy a car?

Look for the worst salesman near the end of the month?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Tunicate posted:

Walk in at the end of the month, find the guy who looks most stressed out, give him an insane lowball offer and a throwaway email address, and walk away.

Hmm, could work.

Maybe use a burner phone instead so you can pointedly ignore a call and hear him sweat on voicemail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

I’m the hard line breaks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Slag it on site, buy new hardware, and restore from backup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

iajanus posted:

Bonus fun when some Muppet with my name booked a holiday and used my address for the accommodation so I just clicked the "cancel" button in the confirmation email and hosed it off. Wonder what happened when they got to Bali on that trip.

That’s technically illegal, as stupid as it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

FlashGot FF extension → download audio

YouTube often separates the audio and video files anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Pilsner posted:

But does it have to be $5000? My last car, a 2004 VW Polo, cost the equivalent of $4500, but I live in the country with the most expensive cars in the entire world (Denmark).

Denmark has nothing on Singapore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

mostlygray posted:

The loan had no interest as long as it was paid by the following Wednesday.

One weird trick loan sharks HATE: putting on Groucho Marx glasses to kite loans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Empty Gox

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

10˘ per capita or $250 million total?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

No way it was the Secret Service, .

Their MO is to trace counterfeit money to its source and then they show up in person. They take even small quantities seriously.

They don’t toy with perps through their printers.

Someone who knows your friend’s BF was loving with him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Should I help defraud the U.S. federal government. What’s the worst that could happen?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7rzw8v/i_went_in_for_a_job_interview_and_it_escalated/

quote:

Some background info. I have little business knowledge, and I am a OEF Disabled Army Veteran. I live in the U.S., specifically Illinois.
I answered an ad on Craigslist.com, looking for 'a disabled vet to do light office work.' I got in contact with the employer, who is a business owner. He instructed me to drive an hour away to take a look at their operation. They have a factory where they fabricate small metal parts and build shipping crates. The guy at the factory, the nephew of the owner was an engineer by trade, and was running the operations at the factory. He seemed like a decent fellow. He seemed to be vetting me for the position.
I was deemed worthy, and the guy gave me the address to the employers house, which was near my home. I drive to the house, and knock on the door. The house was very nice, and would be considered a mansion by anyone's standards. I guess he was proving to me that he was successful. The man greets me, and then serves me water and some Indian treats. We start talking about the business. He then explains to me what they really wanted me to do. He wants me to take over 51% of a corporation that would, basically, be a "middle man" for him to sell his shipping crates to the US Government and Military. He explained that there is a government program called the Service Disabled Veterans Small Business Owners Program (SDVSBOP) which grants disabled veterans government contracts. The government has a quota to meet with so many contracts given to disabled veterans which are not being met. So, I would be improving my financial situation, and he would get contracts for his business. It seems like a win-win scenario. He and his other employee seemed to genuinely care about taking care of a veteran, but I am very, very skeptical. A craigslist ad that turns into me owning a majority of a company just seems like a scam. Does anyone else have any information they can offer about this situation? How should I proceed? Has anyone ever heard about something like this happening? How did it turn out? If I am going to get screwed by this, then how will that happen? I am sorry if I do not have more specifics on the matter. I will try to answer any questions you have for me.
It was a very enticing offer, but I am trying to do my due diligence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Predatory towing is common, but it usually doesn’t get this illegal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

quote:

$5 per 1 Kilobytes. (which is approximately 1025 symbols of basic text).

Who rounds 1024 up to 1025? Either leave it exact or round it down to one thousand (which is also the exact value if you measure in real kilobytes).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

HerStuddMuffin posted:

What’s this one about? Taking the fall for trying to avoid tariffs, or something more sinister like drug trafficking?

It’s called a “re‐shipping scam”.

The purpose can vary but usually it’s laundering goods purchased with stolen identities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Some of the best scams are when the mark knows there’s a scam afoot and thinks he can navigate it, but in doing so he plays right into the conman’s hands.

They call it “the Kansas City Shuffle”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Initio posted:

Is there some reason we can’t just add literally every US phone number to the Do Not Call list?

The website says you just need to call from the phone you want to register. So spoof the number and -bam- you could get the country enrolled in probably less than a week.

This sounds like a good way to go to prison for a long time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

KozmoNaut posted:

Sure, I'd break out the brush and old-fashioned soap once in a while, but it absolutely isn't mandatory.

Soap is the more important factor, though.

Cartridge + water + soap > safety razor + canned foam

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I remember a movie theater I worked at was really strict about the age limits for R-rated movies. People were shocked they couldn't just buy tickets for the two kids outside who I'd already told to take a hike.

And it was a small theater so if the kids successfully got a hold of the tickets they had to walk past me to go see the movie. I guess the thought process was that if they were holding the ticket I was powerless to stop them. "Oh no you got me go on in."

Yeah but alcohol/tobacco age restrictions have legal teeth.

No court in the land cares if you let a kid into an R film. Your boss might, but there are plenty of cinemas where no one gives a poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

mostlygray posted:

My very social media savvy friend experienced a similar thing. He should have known better. The scammer got lucky and found out that his cousin was a missionary in central Africa (I forget which country, it was years ago) and did the "send money via Western Union or he'll be murdered" deal. He was freaking out about it.

Fortunately, he had me look at it and I found the origin of the scam and the IP. I told him to email his cousin before panicking. All was well, of course. Sometimes we get blind sided and we freak out. It happens to the best of us. Heck, I bought a coupon book over the phone once when I was broke in college. I still regret that one.

This is why you demand they send a severed toe for verification.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Same, agreed. Mine will even let me play it if I need to without navigating an automated system.

This was the iPhone’s killer app from before it had an app store.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

I wipe my phone with alcohol occasionally to get oils off of it.

I do this even though it is not a waterproof model because alcohol is not water and it’s not like I’m dunking the phone.

Subway Ninja posted:

I'm more in need of a food-resistant phone. Mine smells like curry this week...

You’re supposed to use uncooked rice.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 5, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

I think it’s supposed to be "M0", which is a measure of how much cash and cash-adjacent assets there are in an economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're far more likely to get coffee from an FBI barista.

FBI baristas are forbidden from asking for customers’ names.