Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Lhet posted:

I think they're paying for the stuff that gets rung up. They wouldn't go so far as to straight up steal, but are more than fine from benefiting from a cashier's mistake, and start making setups that make the error more likely so they can say "Oh hmm, looks like the cashier forgot to ring this up. Welp, their mistake, lucky me!".

It's usually more that they're hoping anyone watching the doors will see their cart full of unbagged things and think "oh that's all right, those things aren't supposed to be bagged! Surely this person has purchased all those items." It's usually something you'll see more often at a big box store like Walmart, because the door greeters are more likely to be easily distracted and have zero way of knowing if you really did just leave a register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Lhet posted:

This seems like a lot of work for not much profit; like less than minimum wage probably.

There are a surprising number of people who are more than happy to put in a poo poo ton of work to scam someone or get away with something who are then also unwilling to work jobs (or they do work jobs, but don't consider the scam stuff "work"). It's a really weird risk/reward thing where the risks levels are mitigated as a concern because they're getting away with something.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Panda Bear posted:

once i realized that people like this and the kroger lady mentioned above were just drug addicts whose addiction made it so that they literally did not give a gently caress about anything besides getting their drugs for the day and not withdrawing I started looking at them as a societal problem again, more like the more obviously homeless panhandlers and i'll still give one of them a few bucks sometimes even though iknow they're lying to my fuckin face.

I had one lady approach me in a supermarket and give me an absolutely fantastic tale about needing money for her nephews that she was raising because one of them was born with AIDS and she was trying to go to school and couldn't afford this machine it was almost $300 she just needed help for the machine. I would have given her money for the performance alone. The downside is that the supermarket employees saw it happen and came over to interrogate me to find out if she was panhandling so they could kick her out, I felt kinda bad about that.

Does it seem like the phone sale/scam attempts are getting more numerous? It's almost like they went to email for a while, realised that doesn't work all that well, and are now going back to phoning people.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

"THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING!"

No, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you, robocalling assholes! I was getting one or two a day at one point.

Who actually falls for that poo poo anyway?

I imagine it's roughly the same percentage of people who believe in fairies.

Seriously though, while I'm sure those scams have a high success rate with seniors, there's a surprisingly high number of people who seem relatively intelligent but just have this soft spot where they want to believe. Look at the people who get hit by Amway. I worked tech support for a company called ACN that did the same sort of thing except with services (like heating/water/phone/mobile) and so many of their customers just wanted to believe that they were paying way less for comparable service and noooo they weren't scamming their friends and family by convincing them to sign up too, they were helping!

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just went into a big box store and asked is it cool if I just took a 65" OLED TV after we bonded over football, and the rear end in a top hat had the gall to say he valued his pay check, benefits, and not being in jail. What a loving scam.

He said the Target was closing, I assumed he meant permanently. Not much left to care about then.

I've gotten a couple of free things over the years because of the sort of thing he's alluding to, but it's been like, a 24 pack of water the cashier forgot to scan, or the cat scratching post that customer service just gave to me because it wouldn't scan and it was very busy. A TV is uh, pushing it a little.