Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pretend there’s a link here to that xkcd that points out that the first three digits of your phone number signify where you lived ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Masonity posted:

Another thing they do is they tend to snap off the plaintiff's hand at the first offer they make and settle out of court. They would rather take a guaranteed lower sum straight away than risk fighting. So beyond their fees, which are often not a percentage but entirely paid by the plaintiff, they often get you way less than a lawyer who's getting paid anyway so has your best interest at heart would.

A lawyer who's getting paid anyway has the exact same incentive to settle ASAP and move on to the next case. As a plaintiff your case is the most important thing in your world, but as a lawyer your current case is just one of a hundred you have lined up, and you'll make more money long run by settling it ASAP and moving to the next.

But the WE DON'T GET PAID UNTIL YOU DO!!! guys on TV, yeah, their entire business model is to sucker rubes who have easily settled cases into forking over nearly their entire settlement.

Actually it may be unfair to the plaintiffs in these cases to dismiss them as suckers; sometimes those scam lawyers are the only lawyers you can get if you can't afford to pay upfront fees, even if your case is a clear winner.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Once your post is removed once your account is marked as spam/scam and all future postings (at least to that particular page) are auto-nuked.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bamhand posted:

Are they just counting on people to be too lazy to destroy them with credit card disputes?

Yep.

Sydin posted:

I asked the head manager at a place I used to frequent often before COVID what Doordash takes from them, and he told me that it's apparently something you bargain with them. Doordash originally came at them demanding a 25% cut but they were able to negotiate it down to 18%. Note that this is a well liked and frequented business that has three locations in town and is in the process of opening a fourth up north. So my guess is that if you're a small mom and pop then gently caress you either you eat 25% or they walk, if you're reasonably successful you can hover around ~20%, and I'd imagine national chains are even lower then that.

So, Expedia for restaurants.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The only mail that ever goes to residential mailboxes anymore is spam, like 90%+ of it. I suppose old people are still set in their habits of doing stuff by snail mail, but I'm almost 40 and I open my mailbox once a week: while taking trash out, I stop to grab the 45* pieces of spam stuffed into my mailbox and put them right into a trash bag. Even official stuff like vehicle registration notices doesn't travel by snail mail anymore. It's just spam all the way down. I would estimate that in calendar year 2020 I have received about 10 pieces of mail that I actually opened/looked at, and 6 or 7 of them were birthday cards from old relatives.

*This is a presidential election year in the U.S., in other years it's more like 20 spams a week.

Point is, you'll never get the option to not receive junk mail, because at this point junk mail is the reason the USPS exists in the first place.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

namlosh posted:

The US mail is tremendously important and I’m concerned that people seem to be saying that it should just go away. The spam sucks, but geez talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I’m curious, you can do your car registration online and I do, but how do you get your renewal sticker? I guess if your state doesn’t bother then cool, but I’d have to go to an office to get one. Screw that

With all of the lack of safeguards on email, phones, etc. the only way I can be sure something is truly legit is if it’s mailed to me and I can independently verify it.

Plus postcards rule

None of this is stuff that FedEx/UPS can't handle, at rates that preclude mass spambombings by shysters. The USPS's primary purpose in 2020 is a vehicle for shysters (and political organizations, but I repeat myself) to cheaply mass spambomb.

I have nothing against the USPS. I'd still find it Cool and Good if the absolute minimum charge to mail something was, say, $2, with no way for mass mailings to get around it. High enough to make mass spambombings unprofitable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And the USPS has to be a vehicle for spam carpetbombings in order for remote voting to happen because..?

I didn't spell it out because I thought it would be obvious, but the actual federal government could and should be able to use the USPS for whatever purposes are useful to it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

lmao at an unironic “privatize the post office” poster in 2020. Enjoy paying 10 bucks to mail a postcard.

I'd rather the opposite direction--make it strictly for government use.

We've lost the thread here though, all I'm trying to assert is that there is no reason the USPS has to be a cheap vehicle for spammers. Other countries actually let people opt out of getting their mailboxes stuffed full of spam but the U.S. hasn't because The federal government can and should tell mass spammers to piss off and FedEx their glossies if it means so goddamn much to them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The US Declaration of Independence posted:

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from their repositories of Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

There should be a portrait of King George III in every car dealership--he pioneered car sales tactics.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Why in the hell did you actually buy a car from them after you caught them trying to scam you twice??

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In the golden age of Amway the products were actually their secondary profit stream. The brainwashingmotivational tapes and seminars were the primary profit stream. Merchants of Deception went into staggering detail on how buying tons and tons of tapes and paying to attend every pep rally (and also buy 30 more tapes while you're there) was ruthlessly forced on every member by their "upstream" and reinforced with "you're a loser if you don't do this" ostracism.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the Cutco et. al. business model is to scam people indirectly via their vulnerable relatives.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I thought the common tactic was to spoof the first six digits of the target’s number to make the call look super local, and 1/10000 times it will end up spoofing the target’s entire number.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

This is a bait-and-switch, and at least in the U.S., is explicitly illegal. She should report the dealers to a state agency that handles consumer protection.

lol

customer protection in the U.S., man that's a good one

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

This is a common enough problem that I know artists who keep one computer for Adobe software and one for everything else, and never connect the Adobe one to the internet so that it doesn't auto update. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, but I don't know enough about the different programs to suggest any.

No that's basically what you have to do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My iPhone 6 finally died the death (well, the touch sensors did) a few weeks ago and I decided to jump to a Pixel. I figured I would have to start everything from scratch since I was making the Apple to Android jump. Nope--it came with an adapter, I plugged the old phone into it, it downloaded the Android versions of every app it could find, copied across all my contacts/settings/notes/etc. Really slick.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

'course, the same is true if you do update, or at best beginning about 12 hours after you update.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The knives actually are pretty good (or were when I saw them 25 years ago), but you can get as good or better for less money at a store. Or, y'know, this being 2021, Amazon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Healing crystals are bullshit, but even without scamming sick people, if you can sell individual crystals you can buy them in bulk and make way more than 20%.

She's also in for a rude surprise when she discovers she owes nearly half her income from the endeavor in taxes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you ordered and paid for a new RV last fall, you probably paid well into six figures for it, and you probably still haven't received it. People who bought one used in 2018 are selling it now for twice what they paid. It's insanity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There was a reddit thread a few years ago that I can't find now (deleted maybe?) that claimed to detail how like 80% of the thousands of little MLMs out there are owned by an entity which is owned by an entity which after you trace it through a dozen spaghetti loops turn out to really be owned by, you guessed it, the Amway people.

I don't think it had any smoking-gun evidence in support of the claim, but I sure as poo poo could believe it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would love to see the thick stack of waivers and disclaimers you have to sign every single sheet of to purchase one of those deathtraps.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Newman's Own is also a scam, sorry (but at least some of the products are actually pretty good)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

The CEO who took over after Newman died was the usual charity grifter shitbag who doubled his pay in three years and did a bunch of usual charity CEO stuff to enrich himself and his friends rather than help charities. Otherwise they're not any more of a scam than corporate donations typically are in that they deduct your donations from their corporate tax burden, so you could capture more of that benefit personally and give more to charity by cutting out the middleman and donating directly to those same organizations.

Only tangentially relevant but in my experience most "nonprofits" are little more than vehicles to convert tax breaks into executive bonuses, fueled largely by paying rank-and-file employees well below market rate and then relentlessly pressuring them to volunteer their off-duty time (i.e., work longer hours for no extra pay) and donate to the organization (i.e., voluntarily take a pay cut) because aren't you passionate about The Cause??

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They've always come in waves for as long as I've owned a cell phone. It'll be mostly dormant for a couple weeks and then I'll get bombarded with 25 of them across 3-4 days, then back to mostly silence. As regular as the tides.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I worked at an answering service company that legitimately used these gateways. We also got cut off from one of the big 4's gateways because one of my coworkers was bad at loops.

E: Still appears legit, at least for Verizon: https://community.verizon.com/t5/My-Verizon/SMS-Gateway-issues/td-p/881540

In The Year Of Our Lord 2021 does anyone besides scammers ever use this functionality? Answering services are really still a thing?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The pro phreakers from 50 years ago are all either dead or elderly at this point, but if you can ever locate one, oh the stories you could hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

namlosh posted:

Plus tons of manufacturing/shipping/everything in China is subsidized by the government…

Since I’m in the thread for it, I’d describe it as the long con where you get the world to depend on you by undercutting local competition until they’re forced to close down, then you’re the only game in town and have tons of leverage.

Sounds like a conspiracy, since I have no proof that’s the plan. Just a hunch

I mean it's Walmart's and Amazon's business model to a tee, so I don't see what's hard to believe about a highly centralized national government applying it.