Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I hope there are some important key details you missed because it sounds super rapey as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm like 50% sure I might have been taken by someone earlier this year, but walked into it anyways. Someone in an online community I visit made an odd comment, and the resultant line of questioning led to them describing what was clearly an abusive relationship. People naturally flocked towards it with advice to help them :sever:, and I reached out to one-on-one to offer a few bucks to facilitate the process after they committed to leaving. After transferring some money the person's account was deleted in what was either or a don't-doxx-me-bro or get-out-of-dodge move.

I figured I could live with knowing I gave someone 50 bucks who didn't need it than passing up the opportunity to really help someone out. The account was a few months old and I didn't offer money right away, so at worst it was a long con bordering on performance art. Maybe I'm the idiot, but we're all goons here so :iiam:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Clearly he's just a BBB shill :colbert:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

republicant posted:

There's a class action lawsuit against the people responsible for a ton of "free cruise" robocalls, and if your phone number is listed in the call records you can be eligible to receive $300 per call up to 3 calls.

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

(Website has been swamped all day today but seems to be working now.)

Thanks for the tip - my number wasn't in the database but my wife's was. $300 bones can buy a lot of steak from the back of cars - thanks goons!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

The Marijuanaut Guild has multidimensional travel locked down and they take an extremely unchill view of scabs honing in on their action.

Dabs not scabs

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

republicant posted:

There's a class action lawsuit against the people responsible for a ton of "free cruise" robocalls, and if your phone number is listed in the call records you can be eligible to receive $300 per call up to 3 calls.

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

(Website has been swamped all day today but seems to be working now.)

Reminder that this closes next friday, don't be an idiot like me and forget about it and be scramble to find out if there's a way to be eligible for this after moving out of country.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for that, I feel much better now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I don't understand how judges who do this poo poo get away with it. Jesus loving Christ.

Same way they get away with most of the heinous poo poo they do, American exceptionalism.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I got mixed up with herbalife as a 15 year old when a high school biology teacher had a friend pitch her bullshit to a class I was in. I was in the middle of some mystery illness and there was just enough rudimentary science in the woo that I thought it could help and told my parents about it. Desperate for something to make me better, they bought a few months worth of pills for me. After maybe three months of not feeling any different, sitting through a "seminar" with a culty vibe, and visiting an applied kinesthesiologist (who did some sort of seance while knocking on my arms then said all my organs were shutting down and my blood was turning to poison :wtc:), I noped on outta that.

Being a distributor never came up, so we were only ever out a few hundred bucks. I guess sick kids are just an easy mark. After moving I stopped being sick and a few years later we figured out I had a really uncommon allergy. Oops!

On the topic of schoolyard scams, some groups of older kids in elementary would make up bullshit pog rules to jack people's poo poo. You'd start a game with the standard screed of "spic & span, no poison, no kini-keeps, no blackouts, no elephants, no tiddly-winks, no side-swipes" then on their first move they'd wave their hands and pocket all your stuff while saying "you didn't say no rainbows :smug:"

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 14, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

How is that even loving legal?

It was probably about as legal as the bullshit pog rules I tried to stealth-edit in :colbert:

It didn't click until years later that it was probably super illegal. It was a minority majority school in a sketchy area so I doubt anyone would have given a gently caress either way. We were probably just a bunch of marks since it was only ever pitched as 'supplements you won't find anywhere else', not 'be ur own boss'. It was also loosely tied into some of the stuff we were learning in biology so it was legit as far as we were concerned.

e. I like that tactic 'tell me when you clear 10k', I'm gonna start using it :v:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 14, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Could be!

I finished the episode, the anger at the goverment from the guy and his lawyer (who also ended up going to jail) is pathetic and their claims that the goverment are the REAL criminals is hilarious. They never show any self reflection on how their choices led to their situations, just anger that they weren’t allowed to get away with their crimes.

Tucker’s brother killed himself instead of standing trial and going to jail, he and an employee blame the government for his death, of course.

The government should only be in the business of oppressing minorities though, if the anger towards prosecuting the bundy assholes/black lives matter/legislation against redlining etc are anything to go by.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

That's dumb but I don't think anyone makes money off it...

I dunno man, how's the alex jones/NRA crowd supposed to easily sell guns and conspiracy books if people aren't perpetually afraid of non-white rapekill machines with their low riders full of free healthcare?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you're in Canada you can report unwanted communications under a national spam act. I don't have a paypal account but still get mailings every once in a while despite unsubscribing to each one and forward that to the national site that deals with it. I like to think they get dinged the max 50k per violation, gently caress paypal :unsmith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

An appropriate discussion for page sixty-nine

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've done some hobby DJing on and off and one of my favorite things to do is play things that are inoffensive yet incomprehensible. One time I had my hand shaken by a CEO at a work function while reggae singer Protoje sweetly crooned "What a Merry Christmas would be/If me get a ganja stalk fia Christmas tree/And New Year's Eve when them a count down/Me a count pounds of the brown brown".

Simple mind, simple pleasure :downs:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bad Titty Puker posted:

The funniest anti-scam pranks I've heard were done by "Hoax Hotel".

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask Hell > Tell me about common cons/scams: shut the gently caress up and just go to wal-mart

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Original_Z posted:

I’m not sure whey they even bother with the trump angle since it’s just clearly some idiot with issues buying currency for no reason.

Yes, why deliberately target a segment that is both terminally gullible and incapable of feeling cognitive dissonance? :thunk: gently caress scammers, but trash taking out trash this time around.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

iajanus posted:

Wait, there's a charge to pay direct from a bank account? Just some more great work by the US failing at basic first world banking practices...

I lived in the US a few years back when some branches began to roll out an "online bill pay system". It sounded like an upgrade, but was literally the bank writing and mailing a cheque against your account on your behalf. The UI also looked like something 12 year old me could have made in geocities.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BWM xpost.

golden bubble posted:

BWM: Signing a cognovit note (AKA confession of judgment) in order to get a loan.

A confession of judgment is a legal document that effectively says "I give up my right to respond or contest to any civil suits relating to this debt." With it, a creditor can get an immediate verdict for a civil suit without having to follow due process. It's an arbitration agreement where borrower loses before the arbitration begins.

Long read but worth it. This is an institutional scam that's de facto enabled by the courts that's somehow worse than structured settlement buyouts. What the above blurb doesn't capture is that it incentivizes abuse because by the time anyone figures out the lender lied, the seizure has already occurred. :911: gon' :911:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Tax preparation in the US is a combination of bullshit protectionist policies by the tax lobby and raperepublican desire to keep taxes scary and onerous so people don't see them as a good thing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

If your bank or credit union has bill pay, they will put the check in the mail for you. It's usually a free service.

Electronic bill pay still somehow involving a cheque was one of the bigger wtf moments when I worked in the US.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Buy a b&w laser printer and throw your inkjet into the trash where it belongs. It costs 25% more up front for the laser, the toner doesn't dry out, and each toner cartridge lasts in the thousands of pages, and it's still only $60-80 for a third-party refill.

Ink jet printers are exercises in bullshit. I bought a multifunction laser printer for about $100 a couple years ago and it's still running the 'sample' toner cartridge that came with it. With my household's printer needs, a full toner cartridge would last the better part of a decade.

Inkjet delenda est.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't think Kinko's exists anymore...

A scathing commentary on how ostentatious color inkjet printing is :colbert:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just got a text message telling me I'd received 15.6 bitcoins.

Yeah, not gonna follow that link.

Might've shared this story before, but years back when I did shift work in the air force we had a couple phone that were on a separate switchboard so we could still talk to people if the main one went down. They had unlisted numbers and we never had emergencies so they'd only ever get called by auto dialers. Whenever they rang, we'd rock-paper-scissors to see who got the privilege of answering it to go all Major Payne on the scammers/telermaketers. This was back before recorded messages and international call centers took off, so a lucky someone would get to spook a real english-speaking someone by making up some federal laws that they had broken by calling duty phones and other :words:.

It was disappointing the first time we got a pre-recorded message, but the national do not call thingy expansion came into effect around then and we stopped getting calls. Too bad, it was a great stress reliever.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

Trump has royally hosed these people over, despite most of them voting for him. There are people in /r/legaladvice asking what to do as they lose their farms because they trusted the Trump administration to pay out what they promised, and then reneged on.

If only there was some way to know an outcome like this was not America's best interest. They made their bed, now it's time to get hosed in it.

I do feel bad for those who didn't vote for him though.

Inceltown posted:

There was a lady in Australia a few years ago that got in trouble for putting barcodes for cheaper products on things she was buying over the real barcode. People will do lots of stupid things.

P sure my mom was arrested for this once so :agreed:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

They concealed the fact that they took the money, giving the appearance that it did not dispense.

All of the non-US ATM's I've seen in recent years dispense the cash only after you take the card. I guess this was why?

hellotoothpaste posted:

In case anyone hasn't heard of it, the children's book is Just Wait Til We're Diamond, and holy poo poo is it depressing. I found a copy online somewhere a while back and it basically excuses away parents-in-Amway behavior on the parents' behalf, why they're working so hard, etc. - Pretty bastard level way to get the kids to share the just wait mentality.

It sort of makes sense since the kid is likely reading by themselves because their parents are acting like the ones in the book. Some real meta poo poo.

A goon scanned the book onto imgur and linked it somewhere in the Bad With Money 2018 thread. I'll see if I can find it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

The "flu" "vaccine" is a scam. Vaccinations are not a scam, they are the foundation of reaching adulthood alive and uncrippled. But the flu "vaccine" is bullshit. It's never the correct one.

It worked for my family this year. Sorry the vaccine wasn't strong enough to overcome your poor level of hygiene and overall health :shrug:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My heavily discounted copy of Photoshop CS from like 2003 finally stopped working this past year after win 10 updated. I've thought about experimenting to see if it'll run in some emulated virtual environment or another for the sake of getting one over on adobe, but so far :effort:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The only times I've laughed to the point of crying were during 'springtime for hitler' in Producers and the hitler car scenes in Rat Race.

Does this mean I'm secretly a nazi?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I work with an Indian guy who told me his strategy: if he detects an Indian accent, will put on the most white-bread accent he can and go on about "you Pakistanis" to make them emotionally invested in the phone call in a bad way.

Your foray into casual racism may vary.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Doctors Hate Her!"

Finally, truth in advertising.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda hosed that the caring profession in the US are so bad that you can't tell if they're running a scam or not. In my country daycares are not allowed to demand payment while they're locked down. Luckily for me that work in daycare the government has decided to foot the bill instead.

America is a scam :rip:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

America was a Ponzi scheme that has now run its course

Everyone who has been watching the finance sector or the economics thread knows that this is true in every most literal possible sense, and we're headed for whatever the result is of an entire global empire being a Ponzi scheme

Which thread is that? Sounds like something to peruse on lockdown.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Weatherman posted:

Meet it in a local diner and, during the conversation, drop a pre-defined phrase or sentence that it was given by its previous handlers

So like :females: but for :almonds:
:goonsay:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MrNemo posted:

I think that's a comment on the PUA view of women, that saying the right set of phrases on the right order will activate their biologically built in networks and cause them to become Hornby and attracted to you.

was the my initial reading. I feel properly negged shamed for my bad posting now :(

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

We can't all be big dicked birds :smith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Be careful that they don't just send you 2000 copies of the same dick pic

Run a script to randomly change color saturation, aspect ratio, and projection of the original image and you get yourself a whole bag of dicks for the price of one.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sounds like a low budget version of the jewelry candle thing, but without the lobbyist oversight to keep them out of jail.

If it ends up working out maybe I'll dust of those plans for a russian roulette tontine ring.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've anecdotally heard that one way to dodge the bullshit is by collaborating with the salesman against the lender - Give me the car for $xx then I'll make payments for 6 months, you get your lender kickback, and we both save time.

I haven't bought a car in like 10 years and won't need to for another decade, inshallah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

You can see the lady knowing completely that she's totally full of poo poo and can tell that she just rolled the dice on there either being someone behind every door or none at all. Her facial expressions are priceless. Time stamp is at 26:00 in case I hosed up the link.

Also, god help those kids since she was a teacher.

Teacher's salaries what they are, can't blame someone for rolling the dice for a hundred thousand clams.