Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yahoo! is actually not all that evil. They are, however, staggeringly and bafflingly incompetent.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Australians are genetically predisposed to being racist alcoholic criminals so it's better to be safe than just assume the half-breed's civilized Japanese side makes him trustworthy.

Am Australian, can confirm true.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That sucks because in any front facing business you need to be friends with your coworkers.

The other panhandlers are his competition though not his coworkers so them not liking him could just be professional jealousy.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

That's one hell of a ride. How the gently caress isn't he in prison.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

I don't know what those are; a google for ACCC produces several things that are credit-related but not consumer protection.

Anyway, in the US some states have 'consumer protection agencies' of varying degrees of toothlessness, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau which is aimed at banks, payday lenders, and other financial institutions and is very much on the chopping block. Various federal agencies do some consumer protection on things in their purview like the FDA comes down on scammy food labels but there isn't a single agency. Usually class-action lawsuits end up being the solution but they're a pain, and the courts recently made them harder to certify. The penalties gained through those also generally don't equal all the profits scam products generate. Basically one reason Yelp got so popular was that it gave people a public venue to complain about poo poo even if nothing happened.

ACCC is (I'm assuming in this case) the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. We have relatively strong consumer rights here and they look after a bunch of that. In addition to that we have industry specific ombudsmen - such as telecommunications - where any hassle you have can be directed. Given that they do have a bit of teeth it is usually taken fairly seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013