Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

stringball posted:

Cousin came over yesterday to come try to sell the CRAZY WRAP THING??? and it was pretty stupid because she believed it was some sort of miracle cure for her double chin and was in the process of doing it for her stomach

Someone on my FB feed is trying to sell this. It seems to be targeted towards women, a lot of 'inspirational' images about how women in business should stick together etc. She posts a lot of pictures of emails saying 'congratulations, It Works! has paid you £xxx', with a little stamp over the amount, which looks like she's just being given these images to post, and images just chock full of emojis, something I've noticed with other people selling it.

Most tellingly, far more of her posts are of the 'I need 3 people who want to take control of their earning and their free time! Send me a message to join my team and start your journey now!' type, heavily leaning towards recruiting than actually selling the product.

Maw fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

stringball posted:

She didn't come over to try to sell it to me but my slightly overweight stepmom who is actively trying to lose weight with exercise and diet and she asked how it worked and gave me "wellllll it has some medication and can pull the toxins and other bad stuff from your fat, and It Really Just Does Work"

They're crazy expensive for a one time loving use too

late edit : The stupid thing is that she's worked for an urgent care, a neuroscience center and now a physician all as a receptionist for years, but still bought into the bullshit, I would at least expect some small sense of snake oil garbage but I guess not!

They all say 'TEMPORARY COSMETIC RESULTS ONLY' all over too, everything about it is just terrible bullshit. I considered writing an effort post about them in this thread before, but am p lazy.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

roadhead posted:

http://www.transgallaxys.com/~emerald/files/MerchantsOfDeception.pdf

I read this a few years ago (probably following a link from here) and found it informative.

Its everything you ever wanted to know about how MLMs actually make certain people very rich at the expense of literally everyone else.

This looks really interesting, thanks!

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Speaking of ransomware, this is relevant.

https://www.cnet.com/news/computer-killing-usbs-are-popping-up-in-australian-mailboxes/

Don't put strange candy in your mouth, and don't put strange USB sticks in your computer.

What about putting strange USB sticks in my mouth though?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

The second and final part of that Reply All episode is up, and it's just as weird as you'd hope. Pro-listen for sure.

Yeah I listened to that one on the way to work this morning and it was great. Definitely a recommended podcast