Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sleppy posted:

http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ is a great command line tool that can download from a bunch of sites in lots of formats, and you don't have to worry about any shady third party.

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ someone made a GUI for it as well if you don't want to bother with commands.
I did not expect to find a GUI for youtube-dl in the cons/scams thread but hey, you made my day, I hate command line bullshit because I'm a small child. Thanks a million :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even better: the OX stands for Online Xchange.

The kicker? It wasn’t for MTG cards, but MTG Online cards.
Right, it was literally a MTGO eXchange... and then he had to backronym that into Mt. Gox because MTGOX inspires no trust in people who don't know about how bad MTGO is and negative trust in people who do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thanatosian posted:

I keep seeing advertisements for diabetic dinners, hearing aids (usually "heavily discounted trials"), and stem cell treatments in the newspaper; they all look hella shady, what's the deal?
The thing with hearing aids is that they're targeting old people and the sticker price on them is expensive as gently caress. So they only expect to sell at "heavily discounted" prices period (and still make a mint) and their preferred audience is often not that discerning.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

everyone has Bad Rats, it's passe now

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hyperhazard posted:

One of the first jobs I "interviewed" for out of college was Aflac. I say "interviewed" because when I arrived, I found 20 other equally confused people sitting in front of a projector screen.

Turns out it was a super skeevy way to rope people into becoming independent contractors for Aflac (basically door-to-door salesmen trying to convince people to sign up for insurance). The whole thing felt like an Amway presentation, complete with the guy boasting about how much money he made and how they only took the best of the best and were looking for people who would put in enough work to achieve their dreams.

It sucked because I'd applied to an actual listing that had nothing to do with sales, and I figured a big-name company would be legit. I'd prepped for hours and dressed up and even asked a friend to drive me there so I wouldn't risk taking a bus and being late.

loving Aflac.
This exact thing happened to me too, I applied to an actual quantitative job to use my degree in mathematics and drove an hour and a half each way because it was in the city I wanted to move to. On the one hand I'm very slightly glad it's not just me but goddamn :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

goatsestretchgoals posted:

They got sucked in by a campus cattle call.
I wish. It was an Indeed posting. So it was two back-and-forth messages and a five minute phone call before an interview and the saddest part is that wasn't anything out of the ordinary because gently caress job searching.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Volmarias posted:

:negative:

They're one of the businesses that are actually (seemingly) good about gluten free stuff too
hey, their spelt pretzels are a delicious snack, you are cool to buy from them for the quality of their goods, just don't get got by charity etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, to be fair, if I ordered 200 morning glory seeds from a business called The Cottage Garden that claimed to be based in Mississippi in March and then got a package of 500 seeds that were obviously not morning glory seeds from a Kazakhstan business with a totally different name in July, and the package was labeled “Stud Earrings,” I might not associate those two events, either.
ordered morning glory, got stud, what's the problem here :wink: