Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Midjack posted:

I donít think youíll have to work very hard to convince the thread that multilevel marketing rackets are a ripoff.

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a tremendous hard on for MLM's
[...]
I wanted to keep this short but it's impossible. I hate megachurches, televangelists and MLM's more than just about anything and they're all kind of one and the same really.
We all have our passions, and wanting to hatefuck MLMs out of existence is a pretty benign/benevolent one. I just accept that BiggerBoat needs to vent whenever the topic comes up.

Also, I want to echo the comment about The Dream podcast: thanks! It's really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone who uses this as part of a so-called reasoned argument is welcome to look up the photos of her injuries. Enjoy that experience.

:stonk: I've read the most basic description, and have a kneejerk response to describe it to people when they bring up that case as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, but I've never looked up photos. And I am not going to. Yeesh.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

You should learn about The Producers' scheme by watching The Producers.

I either learned of it that way or by someone trying to explain Uwe Boll's career.

But my point is that The Producers is great and people should watch it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Next you're going to tell me Blazing Saddles has some ethnic slurs used in it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's made pretty explicit that Springtime for Hitler is 100% "hey what do you suppose the worst possible thing we can come up with is?"

One thing I enjoy is that, within the fiction of The Producers, the reason that Springtime for Hitler was such a success was that audiences were laughing hysterically at it for how it was (unintentionally) mocking the Nazis. It wasn't like there was some other reason why people liked it. The protagonists tried to make the worst thing, and then sabotaged it in a way that made the production a nonstop belittling of that worst thing, and people fuckin' loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Free Market Mambo posted:

Reminder, Mel Brooks literally fought the Nazis at the Battle of the Bulge. He would gently caress with them by playing Al Jolson over loudspeakers.

Brooks tells a story, I think about the Broadway musical production, where some guy got really offended at making a comedy involving Nazis, saying he was a WW2, this is a disgrace, etc.

Brooks: "You were in World War 2?"
Guy: "Yeah!"
Brooks: "I was in World War 2! AND I DIDN'T SEE YOU THERE!"

I think I remember hearing the story from Matthew Broderick once, and he pointed out that nobody knew what to do because there were these two 80 year old men fighting over a concessions counter.