Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

I didnt get telemarketers calling me until I enlisted, then everyone and their mother wanted to sell me health insurance and life insurance for some reason. Not sure what the logic was, they weren't even good plans unless I was planning on some insurance fraud or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Thank you for your service, I am proud to offer you a 10 year old Camaro with nothing down and only 30% interest. Because we love America.

Don't get me started on how horrible buying a car was. I just want 4 wheels and enough space to hold app my crap because I'm driving from Monterey to Texas, I'm paying in cash and there is literally nothing you can say or do that would change my mind. Then I see all the guys fresh out of basic with Camaros and Mustangs that even charitably cant be called cars since they spend more time in the shop than on the road, and find out the owners have to pay a month's paycheck to keep up payments because "The interest rate is so low!" and I know why they were pushing upgrade options so hard.

Like half the stories in the GiP idiot thread have to do with cars for a reason.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

these guys and my guys would have some interesting loving conversations

Seriously, I keep finding out the weirdest connections between 30YW mercs and the modern world. Maybe some mercenary company PMC can bring back poofy sleeves and ruffles as part of their uniform.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I gotta wonder what the scams are gonna be like when Millennials are retirement age.

Probably stuff like "Boomer prosperity was in fact buried in the form of Gold boullion in land plots in XYZ location! Buy a plot and recover what your parents unjustly stole from you all these years!"

The OldTek is just past the skeleton of the Great City, I have a map and only need a few gallons of water to make the journey and make us both fabulously wealthy!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

I made good money with that racket (that went directly into MTG packs).

I was always on the wrong side of that racket

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I seriously suspect that within the next 5-10 years all of our SS #'s will be compromised and the government will scramble to fix it, if they're not already. That genie is out of the bottle and it's only a matter of loving time to my eyes. Only thing keeping people secure at this stage of the game is that hardly anyone has any loving money or net worth that would make someone even bother to go through the trouble of stealing it.

I'm not even kidding.

I've already had all my information compromised twice in two massive data leaks over the past couple of years (OPM leak and the Experian leak), I'm just hoping there is some new, more secure ID system before the next leak inevitably hits.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

I never saw van meat in the wild, but I did find a guy selling van fish once in Bahía Kino. Sure that town is right on the gulf of california, but the desert literally runs right up to the beaches and the guy was the only guy not selling fish at the pier. Even as a dumb teenager I thought that was pretty sketchy (you could even say it smelled a bit fishy )

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

My very tech illiterate grandfather keeps getting pressured by the phone company to buy “WhatsApp credits” so he can call me in the States. Every time he immediately texts me asking if this is a good deal, despite the fact I've told him multiple times using WhatsApp to call me via wifi is free and that's the entire reason I showed him how to use that app in the first place.

Maybe I'll just like, make him a discord and convince him to use that just so the phone company stops bugging him.

snergle posted:

Just learn mandarin and yell june 4th was the date of the tiananmen square massacre. works every time.

六四事件不是假新闻

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

He gets 15 dollars and he doesn't send anything? That seems like the obvious answer to me.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Car jackers in Melbourne are ramming the back of random people, then hijacking the 2nd car. Now they have 2, slightly damaged cars.

What's the 2nd car being used for?

Chop shops? That's basically my guess for all car related scams.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

English dialects are all mutually intelligible minus minor grammar points, it's not like Chinese where I feel like I have to relearn large parts of the language when talking to people from the countryside, let alone the other Chinese dialects in the south.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

At this point in time I'm pretty sure telemarketers know more about where I live and my job than my own family does.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

People believed the guy who promised the moon during the development of Freelancer and thought this time he could make the game he promised without Microsoft interfering. Only it turns out there's a reason why Microsoft kicked him off of Freelancer and it wasn't just because they were greedy and wanted to recoup their investment.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Yes. Point of sale systems have been compromised already.

At this point I just assume everything electronic is compromised until proven otherwise. That goes double for an American system.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Subway Ninja posted:

I'm more in need of a food-resistant phone. Mine smells like curry this week...

So where's the problem?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's the same van, possibly even the same steaks...

Chinese border police did find people trying to smuggle in millions of dollars worth of 40 year old meat a couple of years ago

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

There's a reason that in first world countries we stopped using them over a decade ago (bank cheques excepted).

Even in America I can count on one hand the amount of checks I've written. I wrote my first check at 27 and it was only because my debit card was stolen and my new one hadn't arrived yet.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

The only spam calls I've gotten are someone telling me in Chinese that I won the lottery in Beijing. I assume it's a very targeted ad for elderly immigrants but it was super weird because it came from my old area code.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Someday, this is going to happen to someone, and that person is going to buy a bunch of guns and shoot up the debt collection agency.

God, I hope I'm on that jury. You are allowed to award damages to the defendant in a criminal case, right?

I'm more shocked it hasn't, people have gone on a shooting spree for dumber reasons.

E: Im not endorsing that you do go and shoot up a collection agency here please don't report me

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

How much is it worth to you?

I don't have much cash on me but if you send me your bank info I can liquidate a few hundred thousand worth of gold bars I have stored with Nigerian royalty.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The only thing I haven't been able to replicate is Chinese takeout fried rice. I don't know what they do to it that's so different from every recipe I've tried but it's just so drat good.

My grandpa put in copious amounts of msg and it tasted amazing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Not if you're still using your weird phone number with extra digits, I'm pretty sure they stick to US area codes.

can confirm that my mom's mexican cell phone number never gets hit by robocalls but the US number she got recently is just spammed constantly. Might just be confirmation bias but there's one anecdote

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

The financial system in the US is basically banging two rocks together.

What part of the US do you live in that the banking situation is that high tech?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

The amount of poo poo they put in those is insane. I remember skimming through an iTunes terms and conditions years ago, and buried halfway through was a clause that you promised not to use the software to create weapons of mass destruction.

poo poo, wish someone had told me that before I bought that plutonium from the Libyans. Now what am I supposed to do with it?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Votes should be taken away from everybody except for me.

Ah, the One Man, One Vote theory of politics. I've heard mixed things about it outside of Ankh Morpork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Congratulations, you managed to make the decade+ I worked in the restaurant industry look loving amazing in comparison . That's seriously a horrible work environment, the only question is how the stores aren't dead yet.