Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Domus posted:

isn't it kinda scummy to run a claw machine without disclosing that it's impossible to win most of the time?
Imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If the state knows that there's no chance for people to win anymore prizes and is still selling tickets then they're lying and this is fraud.
Pretty steep burden of proof what with the information asymmetry. :shrug:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I like it when people don't check closely enough or scan their scratchers 'cause I found $75 in the trash.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Why were you taking a scratcher out of the trash?
I scooped up all the scratchers to check for second chance entries for my sister, and when I entered the code of a winning ticket, it would alert me. I brought a pile of winners I thought was worth 55 but apparently rang up as 75. :shrug:
$2,561 worth of second chance entries across ~4 drawings, at final tally.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

The chances of either one or both of these happening are about as likely as your student loans being forgiven.
Actually far less likely than having your student loans forgiven because Bernie has already won.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Eternal Card Game for Android, Windows and iOS is both free to play and not a scam. You love to see it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Stick Insect posted:

Or when you donate your remains to medical research after you die, but they get sold for profit or used to test weapons.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198405
Hahaaaaaaaaaa, that's right. x'D gently caress my dead grandma though, tbqh. Her fat rear end killed my gentle grandfather. :(

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Within an hour of my wife dying I had a voicemail trying to claim her eyes. Luckily my friend is medical and knew I was obviously struggling to deal with everything going on let alone that and told me they wouldn’t actually be used to help anyone anyway. So yeah gently caress everyone.

Jesus loving Christ. I'm so sorry, comrade.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

zmcnulty posted:

Where do I sign? I don't really care if they take my skin or whatever after I'm dead, even for profit, since I won't be alive to care. And I'll just be cremated anyway. Better I make someone's rear end nicer rather than just end up as more dissipated heat.
But if they are making a profit from it, I'd like my family to get at least a piece of that action.

Your family won't see a dime, but they'll pay all lf the funerary expenses.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Wrex Ruckus posted:

idk I think I'd rather let my corpse feed the worms rather than get injected into a boomer butt

I have to get my ID renewed soon anyways, I'll have to look into getting my organ donor status removed
Cremation, don't posion the earth further, the worms can't eat you, you're pumped full of toxins to keep your corpse around as long as possible.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

This was my reason for not being an organ donor.
It makes a certain amount of sense knowing what we do now about the industry BUT consider thst the capitalidts want you alive as long ss hunanly possible so they can extract more profit from your existence first.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Depressio111117 posted:

what the gently caress is the matter with y’all
Aside from investigations getting hosed by for-profit organ harvesting, 1 living aristocrat kills 100,000 poors.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Qu Appelle posted:

Protip - if you're not planning for an open casket funeral/memorial service, and you're planning on cremation anyways, you don't have to buy a coffin at all.
:thejoke:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Qu Appelle posted:

Yeah - but in both of my parent's arrangements, I've had funeral directors try to sell me coffins. So, some people may not genuinely know.
It's just wonderful that capitalism has turned literally every loving profession into 'salesman.'

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

HerStuddMuffin posted:

When was funeral director not another way of saying casket salesman?
Honestly? I used to think it meant that it meant they were in charge of putting on a respectful service for the family of the deceased, though this probably hasn't been the case since before chattel slavery fell out of vogue in the U.S.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The used video game store, Games and Go, is a loving scam. Motherfuckers offered me $2 for Duck Tales 2 (NES, original non-repro, no box, no manual). Said they'd probably resell it for $10, maybe less. I called a reputable game store and inquired about its approximate value.
"...we can't give you a quote over the phone, but the owner will be in the store tomorrow morning to afternoon."
"Is the reason you can't give me a quote because it's a much higher figure than $2 and you don't want me getting upset later if it turns out you can't offer quite as much as originally quoted?"
"That is correct."
loving gently caress Games and Go, motherfuckers looted what remaines of my mate's video game shop after his literally good-for-nothing brother embezzled it, and the motherfuckers are still at it.

If you live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, do not EVER sell anything to Games and Go.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Red Oktober posted:

I think it’s because they’re saying it’s worth less than $10, and the other place is saying it’s worth enough that they’re not comfortable giving a price without the owners say.
Ding ding ding!

Also, the shopkeep spent two solid minutes on a computer, typing and mousing around before giving me this figure.
And retro games is literally their business.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 17, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Inceltown posted:

You need better shoppers rights. If it's mispriced then it is on the business for being stupid. Take your bargain and sell it right back to them while laughing.

I'd sell it to someone who'd give me a better price, tbqh. "Price sticker = price" is also my understanding, as long as it wasn't you or a party member angling for a Gutenberg Discount.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bloopsy posted:

It was a sticker on the back that said "$2.99".

Right, and if you or a party member (and not the store) had placed it there, you'd've been guilty of theft.
That's why Goodwill made their stickers impossible to remove intact in a timely fashion.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

HerStuddMuffin posted:

It might be legal to raise the price at the register, but it’s a dangerous idea to propagate, for the business. Once you’ve convinced your customers that the sticker isn’t the Law and written by God himself, be ready to spend your days haggling with customers who decided that the laundry detergent you marked $6.99 should really cost $3, and so on.
I have yet to have a Goodwill attendant with pricing control turn down my requests for re-pricing. :yayclod:
I've got bad-to-poor charisma and a really low barter but I'm good at dealing in (useful) junk.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s a huge source of frustration for her.
With any modicum of power (combined with a conscience) comes unconscionable amounts of frustration.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also problems with dishonest customers replacing price stickers. If you say "the sticker price is the price, no exceptions, ever" you're guaranteed to get people figuring out what kind of stickers a place uses, getting a roll of them, and making everything in the store cost a penny. Other times stuff is just misprinted or mislabeled; think about stores that put a flier out then have a paper on the entrance saying "sorry we printed something stupid this one price is actually this other price."

What you're describing is entirely too complicated and, even executed correctly, is highly unlikely to work more than perhaps once, and even THAT'S only if an employee isn't afraid of getting fired.
If you're at a junk store, just use your Barter skill to request a lower price from the employee in charge of pricing.
But be sure to read the room. If the store is busy or the specific employee doesn't seem amenable, don't try it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

roffels posted:

I kind of expect this behavior from resale shops. I had a similar experience with Cheapo Records in Minneapolis, and I knew what I had and declined. I took the same records to Electric Fetus, and the owner was pretty cool and talked me through what they'd offer, how they determine value, and were up front with what they'd sell if for. I expect any business to have a healthy margin, but Cheapo records was at like a 98% margin, vs Electric Fetus that's closer to a 40% margin.

Level Up Games is where I sell all my retro video gaming paraphernalia, I recommend them to others.

CDs and CD-ROM games I stick in the Little Free Libraries around town.

madeintaipei posted:

Nah, make use of high survival skill and just eat out of the trash. -50% rads!
Oh, I do.

madeintaipei posted:

Yes, people will absolutely do that.
At their own peril.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Pretty loving rich considering Forever 21 has been lifting artists' content wholesale forever now and not paying a dime and not getting in any trouble for it. Yes, supposedly they're named in various lawsuits, but the actual fuckers will never face consequences.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That's wretched, but at least the employees can go find someone else to abuse them now.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Modern-day institutional (private or public sectors) lenders assume no risk whatsoever because not only are the loans guaranteed by the government, they also get to imprison debtors for failure to pay and get to extract additional free labor without absolving their debts. Everyone responsible needs to be vivisected.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Trastion posted:

the poo poo with PG&E is because after a few of the last years fires the state of California sued them because they said it was their equipment that caused the fires. So now they are saying ok screw you we will shut off power and then you cant sue us over the fires that are happening anyways.
Which they actually HAVE still been causing anyway, while spending ten times their maintenance budget on shareholders/executive bonuses and not doing even the minimal maintenance required.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah, used to work retail, its called "sticker swapping" or something and I think its legally considered fraud. Its why price stickers have cuts across them so you cant easily peel it off in one piece.

Fraud or theft, at least in the U.S., it's prosecuted as theft at the stores I've been to.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Insurance is a scam.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

Tell that to my open heart surgery bills.
Vote Sanders and this can all go away.

I was specifically thinking automotive insurance, though.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Minnesota, but also how you get nothing approaching the cost of your vehicle or the repairs to it should you actually use the insurance, especially when some fuckwad creams you at a double turn lane.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mouse Dresser posted:

I’ve been getting at least 4 calls a day, all with my area code and roughly the same number (123-270-xxxx) each time. I reject the call and they usually don’t leave a voicemail. Finally got a message out of one of them, which was about Extended Warranties for my car.

I’ve been getting 4+ calls a day for over two months. Every single day. No matter how many numbers I block, and I block each one that comes through, I keep getting them because they’re spoofing landline numbers from my area. I can’t loving take these calls anymore. I just have my ringer off by default so I wind up missing important calls and texts. Short of setting up my phone to reject all calls that aren’t in my contacts, does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do? I’m already registered on the Do Not Call list, but these scammers don’t abide by the list.
President Sanders needs to enforce the law against these shitfucks. Imagine how traceable those numbers would become if the message was a threat against Capital or white supremacism?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Landline. Spam calls to my cell seem to originate from the previous number owner's contacts or employer(s).

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Dumb Lowtax posted:

sometimes they'll send you the big huge payout first, in the form of a check that you can indeed deposit at your bank but after a while bounces
Forgive my non-cheque-using ignorance, but isn't bouncing a thing when you first go to deposit it? Will they re-withdraw the money from your account after honoring it? Will they send pigs to retrieve the money you withdrew from the check if you no longer have a balance?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yet they won't go after the writer of the cheque? I think I see the problem here.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Remember though writing bad checks is still something you can get jail time for.
If you're poor.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Probably won't actually get jail time, but you will (in addition to having your credit destroyed) get to enjoy the experience of sitting in a courtroom while your court-appointed attorney explains that "No, Your Honor, my client is not a crook, he's just extraordinarily stupid," and then calls you to testify under oath that, no I am not a crook, I'm just extraordinarily stupid.

Works for war criminals! v:v:v

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Assuming it was a bank and not a credit union, shoulda just fled. gently caress 'em.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

roffels posted:

I once tried to tell someone that it sounded like they were getting scammed by a MLM, and their response was "They warned me about people like you."

Nothing left to say at that point.

Holy poo poo. :stare: I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

azflyboy posted:

I live in Idaho, and since the Mormon population loves MLM's, I don't think I can drive more than 3 blocks without seeing at least two vehicles advertising various pyramid schemes.

I have a friend who interviewed for job with Scentsy (an actual job at their HQ), and they were baffled when the interviewer kept asking questions about their "ward" in kind of roundabout ways.

They later realized that the interviewer was trying to find out how Mormon they were (which is insanely illegal to ask), so they've told anyone else interviewing there to try and surreptitiously record the interview (Idaho is one party consent), since that's probably going to get someone a good sized settlement if Scentsy HR is still that stupid.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha