Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Heaven forfend people finding out what kinda car I drive and how much I drive it! It's certainly not like there is an interwoven cabal of alphabet soup hoovering up every number, letter and symbol associated with the identity of each and every person on this planet at all times that answers to a different cabal composed of child rapists and genocide enthusiasts who use this information to blackmail people into destroying the planet to serve them at literally all costs.

Don't have families, people, families are a liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

There is no scam but Capitalism, and Amerikkka is its prophet, death be upon both.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Who's ready to be angry!? :haw:

Nichael posted:

Want to see what the American healthcare system spends its ludicrous profits on, instead of, you know, caring for poor people?

My mom's medical office got this box in the mail. It contains an LCD screen that plays a video about Christiana (just like Jeb! did in the 2016 primary), as well as fliers, and loving trading cards for the doctors at their hospital.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZQ83RCCh0

Like, yes, throw it on the pile, but wow!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

Maybe it's like the playing cards that get distributed to armies to help them recognize opposition leaders? These doctors are your enemies, recognize them and capture if possible, kill if not.

Lol, no, supposedly it's to humanise doctors to patients to get them to take medical advice more seriously.

That said, we need cards as the ones you describe to recognise more billionaires and politicians; so many eldritch horrors with kill counts in the millions wander around anonymously, disguised as humans because no one knows who the gently caress they are.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

This is the most comically transparent justification for someone in marketing deciding that this is a "fun" idea. Best case scenario the doctors having their pictures taken actually had fun doing it.

According to the originating thread, it is just plain required as part of residency, lmfao.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Good to see mobile houses are ALSO becoming impossibly expensive for people who want to live in them.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

This tiktok in response to all those scams is amazing.

https://twitter.com/richieonelove/status/1382084767001292801?s=21
x'D

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ancillary Character posted:

That's why parents need to get over their own ego and not name theirhave kids after themselves.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

If an individual uses the word "invest" when they very obviously mean "spend," they are a salesman and you should never associate with/trust them. Had a lady at my hotel yesterday talking about the different priced tour packages of the Paisley Park Prince exhibit thing and she described the pricing tiers as "how much you want to invest" and I made such a combination of emoticon faces inside, lemme tell you.

Prince's Paisley Park is a whoooole other scam, may he rest in peace. Christ, his estate executor ghouls were planning on his overdose for years. :geno:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

Near as I can tell, this entire country is an MLM scam.

Tubgoat posted:

There is no scam but Capitalism, and Amerikkka is its prophet, death be upon both.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

If a pimp sends you 'round to a hotel to pick up his car, make sure you know his last name. I can't let you into a locked garage just because someone with a vendor-trash-common first name that you guessed is staying here.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I regularly donate to Skin the Children and find it a reputable and forthright charity.

Israel appreciates your support.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Blue Moonlight posted:

At least in the US, I’ve heard there might be some spikes relating to scammers trying to test workarounds to STIR/SHAKEN before some deadlines land.
What is that?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

lavaca posted:

Facebook itself doesn't have security questions.
But it does have questionable security!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

cakesmith handyman posted:

I turned 40 the other week and all the ads and spam I'm getting switched over to older man spam immediately, it's depressing.
Lol, owned! By the time I turn 40, that poo poo will be beamed directly into my synapses by DARPA. :(

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The silver lining here is that my life is filled with an increasingly large amount of artisan, custom and semi-custom high quality work.
Speaking of high-quality work, before registering an account, as a lurker I followed your custom title at the time to a comic about your av dog living in a world of sapient animals alongside humans, and the last thing I read was either she or another dog was assassinated at a rights-themed political rally. Did this story ever get concluded or expanded?

I liked the comic and greatly want to read more and hope it does not end on that admittedly-realstic note.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Aww. Thanks y'all!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

If you're at a hotel without a reservation and the hotel clerk asks you the name on your reservation, if you mumble your answer incoherently each time, the hotel clerk HAS to give you a free room or access to a stranger's room.

It's The Law.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Just that. Motherfuckers keep rolling up without a reservation or even the ability to tell me their loving names! And it's not because of a disability, even, they can speak perfectly clearly, except when giving me the name on their "reservation." Are you here to see your buddy? Cool! I love visiting my buddy at a hotel so I bet you will too! What is their name? A series of mumbles? That can't be right, please speak into the microphone. Hmm, sorry, we don't have anyone by the name of "mumblemumblemumble" checked in with us. Might they be checked in under a different name? No, sorry, there's no one here named "mumblemumblemumblemumble" either. That's rough luck, mate. Please leave before I call the pigs. Nevermind the people who are here to see their buddy whose name they just plain don't know!

Or the dumbfuck guests who leave their still-active keys on the ground outside for homeless people to find, who somehow always choose room numbers and floors that do not exist in our hotel, who then need me to tell them what room they're in. This is one of many reasons we demand ID from a guest needing a key if we do not personally, specifically know who they are. If you're trying to get inside a room here for free, the best way to do that is either work here and have a packed schedule for which the boss will let you sleep over in an out-of-order room, OR be a relative or business relation of one of the owners.

It kinda feels like, all else being equal, hotel guests are like Elon Musk levels of stupid. Some of them are a delight but the vast majority should not be trusted with children or aninals. SPEAKING OF, I have come around on dog ownership.
Specifically, that humans should not be allowed to own dogs, and that toy-class dog breeders should be put to sleep humanely and quickly for the good of all living things.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

We literally only require one ID! And yet it's such an impossibly enormous loving burden on everyone who hasn't yet fallen victim to an impersonator.

I've been watching Burn Notice and none of the ways he uses to get past hotel staff would work at mine without the target's cooperation.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hadn't heard the story so I didn't mind the long winded article, especially as it did something I always enjoy: pointing out that people as a whole are just loving dumb.

Shout out to the person in the gifting group who said they wanted a big garden and then couldn't understand why they received seeds.
Shout out to the lady who bought "100 clematis-vine seeds from zhang-yubryy for $1.53, and 25 wisteria seeds from DIANHzu1" who didn't think she'd ordered anything from China.

These people vote (which doesn't matter) and are the only ones allowed on juries.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

How/where the gently caress do I get good shoes? I just want whatever Blackwater wears (rather, the non-nazi equivalent) and I'm willing to pay for it but I am so loving sick of "good" shoes being $TEXAS and lasting as long as a pair of sneakers from Wal-Mart because it's all rubber and leather loosely stitched and glued together to last for a year or until they get wet. :(

Do they make steel-toed canvas boots? Or fibreglass-toed canvas boots? Why the gently caress can't I get water-durable boots!?
It's 2021 and I am typing this post from a public bus on a supercomputer that fits into a large cargo pocket but for some reason, boots I can get wet, dry out without consequence and wear again are just not possible to manufacture??

I ask the scam thread because my last internet search has left me with endless Facebook ads for Indestructable brand shoes, a blatant scan if ever I seen one.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

shame on an IGA posted:

Try these, I work in wastewater treatment and these have held up 2 years so far plus the slip-resistance is god level beyond anything else I've ever tried. They're basically spiderman shoes.

https://www.srmax.com/mens-shoes/products/SRM2660

No joke, my eyes lit up when I read "wastewater." Thank you for the recommendation and also/especially your service. :love:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Y'all probably heard this one already but bear with me.

A couple mornings ago (I'm nitecrew IRL), an African-American-sounding dude calls (from like a 20-digit number starting with 01) the front desk of the hotel I work at claiming to be a representative of "Mr. Patel, the owner" (ala John Peters, You Know, The Farmer). Bad luck for him our hotel is owned by Jews, not Indians. Warning number two (the name was number one, the caller ID number zero) that this was a scam was that, upon learning my name, he proceeded to use it ~twice as much as a high-end appliance salesman would. Lol. He asked me to take down a purported tracking number for FedEx International and after I asked what my responsibility to this tracking number was, he hung up.

Last night, ~3:30 local, an Indian-accented man called claiming to be "Mr. Patel, the owner." Lol. I was out of patience so loving with him didn't occur to me and I just hung up.

NOTES: A for effort. Calling a random hotel and in thickly-accented English claiming you own the place is reasonably plausible in America, especially to an underpaid wage slave that doesn't know the hotel owners' names but is vaguely aware that craploads of wealthy Indian failsons own absolute loving tons of metropolitan infrastructure in English-speaking countries.

What is the scam here? I assume it's "get a hotel clerk to agree to receive a usuriously-priced parcel or no parcel and bilk the hotel for multiple thousand dollars in fraudulent shipping charges for a package that may exist," but I can't really figure out step 2 or 3.

Or maybe he is called Mr. Patel, The Owner because he pwns noobz. :shrug: + :roflolmao:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lmao, that would've been amazing, now I wish I'd stayed on the line.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MisterOblivious posted:

Usually they want to use your hotel as a dropoff point for stuff they bought with a stolen card. Sometimes they'll make a reservation, see that the package was received, make an excuse to cancel the reservation and pay to have you reship it. It could very well be something different, but that's the shipping scam I hear about from front desk workers.

Thanks! That would have been MAD funny because they were calling at hours when no reservations can be made or check-ins processed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I'm not sure if we send them on, but we frequently do have packages sent to guests who have stayed here, I'm not responsible for them, though. :shrug:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Pekinduck posted:

Obtaining employee W2s to fraudulently claim tax refunds is another common scheme.

THAT would be funny.

So, another call, this time from a real-ish phone number and the dude barely spoke English and had a thick Latino accent. It was almost impossible to understand him. I'd've hosed with him some had I not been profoundly busy at the time. "Mr. Patel" again. :roflolmao:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Makes sense. Most of the folks here got their heads screwed on straight, though.

I'm really hoping we get one who sounds like Borat next. :allears:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

1stGear posted:

This is especially funny when a small amount of research makes it pretty clear that the ice cream machines are a deliberate way for McDonald's Corporate and the company manufacturing the ice cream machines to scam their franchise owners.

in what part of capital does marx talk about the bourgeoise loving the petit-bourgeoise

I'm sure this is probably posted in this thread somewhere but this is new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

"Intriguing" is an apt description, please keep us posted.