Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013
I've heard of a weird variant of the Grandparent Scam where the scammer claims to be law enforcement and demands gift cards instead of money. In other words, the scammer tells the victim that the bail/fine/whatever is payable in gift cards rather than actual money.

Another common, really lovely scam is people posing as attendants at paid parking lots. The "attendant" takes your money, and then your car gets ticketed or towed because you technically didn't pay to park. Someone tried this scam on me a few years ago, and it was kind of unnerving. The dude looked shady as hell, and started screaming at me when I went to put money in the lock box, saying that I had to give it to him instead, that he would call the cops, get my car towed, etc. He kept at it too, even after I straight up refused to give him money. I found out later that my dad fell for the same scam back in the 90s when he worked in downtown Dallas.

Other scams I've encountered include:

-Scammers selling perfume or some other crap outside of businesses, trying to get people to give out their credit card info.
-Herbalife, Vector Marketing, and other MLM scams.
-People hiding meat at the grocery store, then retrieving said meat when it's past its sell-by date, and trying to get another of the same item for free because "your store had expired meat for sale."
-Crackheads stealing clothes from laundromats, specifically the laundry rooms in our apartment complex. This one is just bizarre to me, because most of the residents are broke college students and large Hispanic families. In other words, not the type of people to have high-end clothing.

Eien Ni Hen fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

Karmoderm posted:

The talk of tax loopholes and the culture around trying to find them reminded me of this great blog post - it's an account of a lawyer who gets funded to go on a cruise for conspiracy theorists and associated people and kind of talks about the type of people who speak at, as well as attend, conferences like that.

https://violentmetaphors.com/2016/0...a-cruise-day-2/

quote:

He told the audience here that a court order is the same thing as a money order. I’m not joking. He literally thinks a court order and a money order are the same thing, and that complaints are a kind of court order, and that judges cash them at the Fed and keep 30% for their own retirement.

This makes Lesko seem like a saint by comparison. (Great article btw.)