Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

I had something like this once from some police organization (FOP? I can't remember) who wanted me to donate money.

Me: No thanks.
Him: Well, all of your neighbors have given us generous donations.
Me: Really? Like who?
Him: I'm sorry, the list of our donors is confidential.
Me: *click*

I get these all the time, and they always start off the same way:

Him: Hi, is Carolyn there?
Me: Sorry, you have the wrong number.
Him: Well, maybe you can help me, I'm with Some Bullshit Police Organization and...

It's always the same name, and I always remember what it is about 0.1 seconds after I autopilot my way through the "Sorry, wrong number" bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The big thing I taught my mother is to never click a link in an email or agree to anything on a phone call she didn’t initiate. Get a call from the bank about something? Hang up, go to the bank website, get the assistance phone number from the site, call that number and ask about it. Get an email about an invoice or something? Ignore the link, go to the website, check your messages/orders/etc there.

Always be the one who initiates the information exchange so that you know who is on the other side of it.