Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
http://www.king5.com/mb/money/consumer/ebay-scam-costs-teen-her-college-savings/405358464

Paying for a car in iTunes gift cards. Makes all the sense in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

I got kind of a funny robocall the other day (I work with a lot of freelancers so it's not unusual for me to get calls from numbers I don't recognize). Area code from my home state, which is not in the South, but when I answered, someone with the thickest Southern accent I've ever heard says, "Hello, is Gerald there?"

I tell this person he must have the wrong number and he says, "Oh, well maybe you can help me -" and then he launches into a spiel about a police charity or something.

I figured out it was a robot relatively quickly, I just thought it was amusing they decided to give him a Foghorn Leghorn-style accent.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Wellp, joke's on me. Just got a call from two numbers in my home town (which I haven't called in years, but I still have that area code) saying they got calls from my number. Swell.

Do I need to change my number?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Got a call several times from a number in Texas, they left a message after the fourth call or so.

Robot voice tells me I'm being sued by the IRS, and to call a certain number back.

I call the number, get a a woman with a very thick accent who asks for my name and the first line of my address (?). I didn't even want to give her that much, so my venture didn't last long. I shoulda been braver (or better on my feet), just to see how far the rabbit hole went.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

There's no way I've donated more to Planned Parenthood than they've spent trying to get me to donate more. I've called on three separate occasions trying to get them to stop sending me mail several times a god drat week.

If I weren't certain that this government is gonna try to put Roe v. Wade on the chopping block the second Kennedy retires, I'd be a lot more pissed off.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

TheKennedys posted:

This is awesome :v:

My wireless is called Cat Detector Van and I swear to god I've had people say "Are the cops here? Why are the cops here? There's something called Cat Detector Van." ...really?

The loony detector van, you mean.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

I asked this a while back but it's really starting to become an issue - my phone number keeps being used to call other people. I've gotten no less than five calls in the past two months from people pissed off that I'm trying to scam them. Unless I've been trying to scam people in my sleep, I'm pretty sure this isn't me.

I was told by this thread to wait it out a few months but it doesn't seem like it's getting any better (it seems like it's getting worse). Is changing my phone number the only option at this point?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Goodbye, phone number I've had since I was fourteen. :sadwave:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Midjack posted:

From another thread:

:allears: Man, yaoguai drivers has gotta be my favorite scam idea ever.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

One office I used to work at had a woman show up at 10 AM every day and sell us breakfast burritos out of her Dodge Neon. They were good as hell.

Still wouldn’t buy van meat though.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Our Prices Are Credible!"

:golfclap:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Michael Corleone posted:

I was at the grocery store yesterday putting my groceries in my car when a guy came up to me. He asked me what size my shoes were, I told him and he asked me if I wanted to sell them for like $20 because he knew somebody that could use them. I said no obviously. They were dress shoes not Jordan's or anything like that. Is this a scam or just a crazy guy? Even if I wanted to sell them, how does he expect me to get home with no shoes?

This happened to me in a CVS one time. I declined because I didn’t want to walk around barefoot, but didn’t really think about it much at the time. I didn’t figure out why he really wanted them until mid-afternoon the next day. :downs:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

To jack off in or on.

This is the reason.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Oh good, I was wondering what song from middle school I was going to get stuck in my head this week

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

https://xkcd.com/988/

"An 'American Tradition' is anything that happened to a Baby Boomer twice" is maybe one of the truest things ever written.

God help me but I might be on the Baby Boomers' side here - modern Christmas music is just fuckin' god-awful.

"Christmas Wrapping" is okay

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

I got a call from Woonsocket, Rhode Island today and the dude on the other end just asked me what my Instagram username was. My boyfriend was yelling at me to just hang up so I didn’t get to go down the rabbit hole of whatever the hell that was going to be about, so hopefully another goon ALSO got a call from Woonsocket, Rhode Island?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

I didn’t get any “press 2 to be put on our do not call list” calls until I read this thread, then I got one this morning! I blame you people. :argh:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Didn't catch his name and his number was private. He told me to look in the mirror and gently caress myself when I kept him on the line for a few minutes then told him I lived in an apartment without central air :(

My favorite thing is scammers getting mad that you won’t let them scam you. I remember one of the guys in those Lenny videos starts saying “gently caress you” after about twenty seconds.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Local one today - Colorado Springs had a horrific hail storm last week, with baseball-sized hail. I haven't lived in Colorado in about six years, but I still have a Colorado Springs number. I got a voicemail saying that houses in my neighborhood were severely damaged, with probable roof damage we couldn't even see! This company would be happy to come out and take a look and give me an estimate. The temptation to call them back and string them along by asking where, specifically, they think I live is strong.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

lizardman posted:

I'm not sure this is necessarily a scam? I mean maybe at this point we can just presume any business that resorts to spam-dialing robocalls is shady in some way, but otherwise it's just a case of presuming someone who has a Colorado Springs phone number lives in Colorado Springs.

I guess “scam” might be strong but it certainly has a whiff of illegitimacy, seeing as they specified “my neighborhood.” I’m sure plenty of houses DO have hail damage but it seems like the kinda thing where you’d seek out someone to fix it, rather than the other way around.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Namarrgon posted:

Just a little bit younger than a day.

I think he means it’s an old scam.

edit: dammit

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

I had somebody RACE up to me in a Target parking lot once to tell me that there was a chip in my windshield his guys would be happy to fix. They had one of those little tents set up so I’m sure he was at least 1% legitimate but I almost whipped out my pepper spray because he made such a beeline for me.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

elvisfan.com

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If I go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ that always uses up my opportunity to view my credit for this year, right?

Since I'm in the middle of identity theft and I should check my credit several times this year to follow up on the fraud, I don't know what I should use to not get locked out after the first time.

For example, Transunion had a special checkbox for victims of identity theft, as a special circumstance for viewing the report. I believe that let me view my Transunion credit report without using up my "one per year".

How do I find a similar option on Experian? Equifax? They do not make this easy at all and really want to sell me one instead.

CreditKarma calculates your score a different way than the big three do, so if you're looking for just your FICO score it won't be helpful, but if you're just checking to make sure someone didn't buy a boat under your name, it'll give you that info for free.

Apparently I get free credit reporting from Experian already and for the life of me cannot remember why. :confuoot:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

One of the red flags I used to list about an ex of mine was that he refused to be an organ donor because he was convinced that EMTs would let him die (or would outright kill him) for his organs. Never mind that he was a pack a day smoker and a severe alcoholic.

Anyway donate your organs if you are able to do so, what the gently caress is the matter with y’all

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Last Visible Dog posted:

I found this from the last time that book got brought up in this thread.

For convenience: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=642&perpage=40#post464595967

God this is loving depressing. I hope this was never given to a single child in earnest. That said -

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

One thing that’s good about it is I haven’t lived in the area code that I have for my phone for 12 years, and all the scammers spoof your area code, so I see 319 I know it’s safe to ignore but if I see 775 (where I live now) it’s usually legit.

This really is a great, completely unexpected perk of my old-rear end phone number. Even if it isn’t spam, I sure as hell don’t want to talk to anyone from my hometown!

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

Seattle is converting large portions of one into housing and a hotel.

And a practice arena for our new NHL team.