Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Well, I'll be damned if the same old "Women Empowering Women" crapola from 2001 isn't still doing the rounds, but gussied up and now parasitic on the legitimate idea of 'gift circles' (basically bartering groups for skills and time, often entirely or mostly consisting of women):

http://priceonomics.com/when-your-womens-empowerment-group-is-actually-a/

Long, late edit: Having followed some of the links from this article, I would be surprised if all these "Womens' Empowerment" groups don't in reality represent the bifurcations of one original group, repeatedly re-branded to appeal to different sectors of the market, and most of all, to disguise the fact that this scheme has been around for ages.

Unlike the gigantic hierarchies that build up in MLM, there are only four tiers to these pyramids, with membership following an 8:4:2:1 pattern. Raw recruits put in $5k, and when 8 recruits have been found, the person at the top gets a $40k payout and leaves. When this happens, the remainder of the group is cut in two like a flatworm, and each half must regenerate by finding eight bottom-tier recruits. The 'senior sisters' (people who have powered through the cycle several times, on the strength of their recruiting abilities) must know exactly what they're doing.

It doesn't need a criminal mastermind to work out that once you get into the payout position, it might help if your half of the flatworm has a shiny new name, ideally one that targets a special-interest group that hasn't been hit yet.

I'm pretty sure that, at least in CT, they're gone after and jailed the women at the top of these under Ponzi scheme-esque laws. Since there's no actual prodcut being sold, which is what separates MLM from Madoff, etc. this is actually illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Eric the Mauve posted:

I still have trouble comprehending what's in it for the carriers and phone manufacturers to so ardently resist serious anti-spam measures.

Not giving a poo poo costs exactly $zero, because there's no option a consumer has to switch to a carrier that gives a poo poo. Giving a poo poo costs $morethanzero.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Has anyone else seen a new thing on WhatsApp that must be some sort of scam? I've been getting a message from some number, usually UK-based, that I don't know, where the WhatsApp photo is a stereotypically attractive Asian woman. The first message is something like "Long time no see, [random name]" or "Following up on yesterday, [random name]." The first one I didn't realize it was a scam, so I told them they had the wrong number. They then said "Sorry to bother you" and started talking about themselves and asking who I was. What's their angle? Is this just some spin on a honey trap?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Professor Shark posted:

I read a book a few years ago by a man who worked as an intermediate between North American/ European businesses and Chinese factories and his job was basically to know about how sketchy business people are and do his best to keep quality up for as long as possible. I wish I could remember the name of it, but it was a fantastic read for those interested in cons/ scams

Poorly Made in China, or are there more of them?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EricBauman posted:

It's so they can deport (and bar entry for five years) you for the crime of lying to the govt even if you haven't committed any crimes that would otherwise be actionable by or in the US

The way Congress drafted the immigration laws there's a couple of general categories and then some real specific line items.

It's all "the Attorney General* shall deem an applicant for entry into the United States inadmissible if:

3) such applicant presents a threat to the national security"

*these laws were mostly written before GWB invented DHS and moved CBP there.

Then seven unrelated sections later, there's:

"(F) for purposes of subsection (3), above, an applicant shall be deemed to present a threat to national security if such applicant:

(i) is or has been a member of a communist party;

(ii) has committed terrorism or provided material support to a terrorist organization;

(iii) has been convicted of any crime involving controlled substances . . . "

And then when drafting the forms, CBP just goes down the line, asks a question for (i), then for (ii), then for (iii), doing exactly what Congress asked.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Got a very old fashioned scam message on LinkedIn, inviting me to apply to "Who's Who." Didn't realize that was still a thing hah.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Does it cover them in any meaningful way? Medical providers put similar clauses in their emails, but misdirected confidential information is still a HIPAA breach and sanctionable even if you have a cute little note in the signature. It must be the same for lawyers, no?

Very likely, but nobody removes the email disclaimer because they’re afraid they could get docked for not having it. “No, it wouldn’t have been enough, but you didn’t even try,” is definitely a thing bar discipline folks have said in many contexts.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Inceltown posted:

Sounds like a great use of filters to delete "PAUL PAUL" emails automatically then

Just never take a job producing the Finebaum show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Snowy posted:

I used to pay bills with a check and write “BLOOD MONEY” or something like that in the memo. It gave me a little chuckle or two

“Please buy the extra grisly cluster bombs with this one”