Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Old people get targeted by scammers and salesmen something fierce because of Alzheimer's. It's sad and scummy as hell; because said old person might not realize they're having dementia issues yet they can be conned more easily and sign away everything they own without realizing it. When I was a telemarketer we were specifically told old people were the best calls to get for pretty much that reason.

Even old folk without diagnosable dementia often "slow down" a bit mentally. They don't have the same critical faculties as they used to, and they don't realize it. They also get a bit lonely and bored at home, so they are more likely to hear out salesmen than say, a young mum with 3 toddlers hanging off her and screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Jared592 posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but the prevalence of scammers/proselytizers in my area (semi-urban) has made ignorance my default response to a door knock. Almost 10/10 times I'll then hear the next door down getting knocked, and so forth down the block. It's sad in a way, though my perspective on how things were in "olden times" is probably rose-tinted- I'm sure there were door-to-door scammers in Leave it to Beaver times.

I got some people at the front door claiming to be from the tax office. I was like, the tax office doesn't send out guys to doorstep at random, so I told them I wasn't going to let them in. They seemed really aggressive at trying to push past me to get in. Now I have black marks on my credit report because they really were tax men.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Do the UK scammers also pretend to be about 5 layers of a menu maze? Because I wouldn't believe it if I got through to an actual person at my bank straightaway.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Proteus Jones posted:

That's been my SOP for a couple of years now and seems to be working so far. I just mute the ringer. If it's legit/important they leave a voice mail.

Heed my woe. A while back two people turned up at my front door, claiming to be state tax people. Well, I closed the door on them. Obvious scam, right? Wouldn't real tax people phone or send letters first? No, they were the real deal, and we got a lien put on our house in response. They'd been trying to get in touch with my husband for a long time but his philosophy is the same as yours - if it's important, they'll leave a voice mail. Apparently this does not count for our state tax people. They do not leave voice mail.

drat all those spammers that make it impossible to answer your phone.

I answer my phone for any number except obvious scams (i.e. numbers nearly the same as mine) because I have a kid and often get phoned by random daycare teachers to say that my little darling has spewed upon the storytime rug. Many curses rain upon the heads of all those who are daily trying to consolidate my student loans or fix my car warranty (of which I have neither.) And death is too good for those who babble something in Mandarin which I understand from news reports to be a scam.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/10/609117134/chinese-robocalls-bombarding-the-u-s-are-part-of-an-international-phone-scam

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Uh... and they never sent you a letter? That doesn't sound quite right to me.

They said they sent a letter. I never got a letter. Who knows. It doesn't sound right to me either, I still don't understand what happened several years later.