Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Rich people sure are different.

Got a text from a local area code number that says "Sorry, I can't talk right now. Call back later."

Is this a scammer looking for a bite or is my number being spoofed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

welp, just found out my parents got got by the ol' itunes gift card scam

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxxGNtRG-_o

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

idk I think I'd rather let my corpse feed the worms rather than get injected into a boomer butt

I have to get my ID renewed soon anyways, I'll have to look into getting my organ donor status removed

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I think I would hit it off with Donna since I, too, am a nice lad

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I've recently been getting text messages from various numbers addressed to my sister (I'm on her family plan) that $120-130 in Amazon rewards are waiting if I just click this mysterious link, or something about CBD gummies.

Did the spammers finally figure out that nobody answers calls from unknown numbers anymore so they switched to texts?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Vinny the Shark posted:

I've been getting more scam texts about Amazon gift cards awaiting my account lately as well. For every 100000 or so texts scammers send out, there's at least 1 person that's legitimately interested. Whatever you do, don't text "STOP" at the end if you want to stop receiving those texts as those messages sometimes have at the bottom- that just tells the scammers that you actually read and responded to their text.

However, robo calls aren't going away anytime soon unfortunately. Just got 3 of them this week.

oh yeah, I never reply to those. I don't even bother blocking the numbers since it's a different one every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

So I've noticed that I and others get scam texts for gift card giveaways in some weird amount like $110 or $115. Anyone know why they choose those numbers?