Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
If you go to a dentist and they freak out and say you have like 7 cavities they're loving lying. When I was 20 I recently graduated and was living on my own. I put off going to the dentist for about two years and then I met someone in my company parking lot handing out flyers to their dental practice (excellent idea, 20 yr old me). When I went to get checked out they told me I had 6 cavities and then I actually went and got them done. They drilled out my big molars and filled them up in the center. I was way too naive to think it was a scam. I never had any pain from those teeth before then. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That was probably the worst I've ever been scammed. Not only are you out the money but the unnecessary fillings you get weaken your teeth. I have cracks in my molars now and I have to be careful when I chew. If I bite down on something relatively hard (nuts, seeds, oats) I'll get a brief sharp pain from the filling pressing into my nerve. I was later told by a dentist I trust slightly more that my teeth will eventually crack all the way down to the root and I'll need to replace them and there's nothing I can do about it. It pisses me off how they could just gently caress up someone's mouth for the rest of their life. A bad dentist is not only a financial scam but can be really bad for your health too.

Also a few years later I moved into a really cheap apartment in a sketchy area. Some guy knocked on my door claiming he was a college student selling magazine and newspaper subscriptions to pay tuition and wanted me to sign up. I figured I would help him out so I wrote him a check for 20 dollars. (he specifically asked for a check). He then wanted to come into my apartment, so he could better watch me write out the check or some stupid poo poo.

I wasn't thinking then but it was obviously some double pronged scam to get some pity money out of me and to scope out my apartment to see if there's anything worth stealing. That one's a common scam where they case apartment complexes for new residents and then bother them. I remember that a few more guys came around in later months and knocked but thankfully I never answered. One of my neighbors started screaming at them to gtfo one time (smart neighbor).

I did a lot of loving stupid things when I was 20.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Hmm ok that is a good point. Prevention is important too. I still think I was scammed in this instance though.

I have very deep groves in my teeth and when they examined them they took the pick and got it caught in the groves and said it was sticking.

I'm not an expert but it feels fishy to me.