Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

What's even weirder are the states that don't allow you as a driver to pump your own gas. That's right, you have to wait for an attendant to pump it for you, and then feel obligated to give them an extra dollar or something as a tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

drat I guess I just feel excessive tip guilt then, I'm keeping my $1 next time I drive through OR/NJ.

e: I'm not a fan of the tipping system in the USA in general but at the same time it's hard not to throw a few bucks at someone who is making minimum wage (or less) if it won't break the bank. It's the uncertainty factor that makes it feel awkward and weird to me. Just roll the gratuity into the meal or gas price, everyone wins except the miserly consumer.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 18, 2016

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

American's are the only people that speak good enough english for the job.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

You were right to stand up to him and I in turn would have stood up and slow-clapped for it had I been in evidence.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Nah I wouldn't just give a random guy with a gas can a few squirts of gasoline, even if I was already at the gas station. I'd feel bad about it in the moment and think, "what kind of a piece of poo poo won't give a brother a dollar in gas" but there are several things wrong with that situation. Hopefully he just needs cash, and gas is a way to get there. Huffing gasoline from a plastic bag isn't something to encourage.

Then again he could just have a fuel-hungry vehicle and was hustling people a gallon at a time!

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Having lived in rentals on busy streets I've experienced a nice variety of door-knocking scams. Ranked in order of sadness:

- 12 to 16 year old children trying to sell magazine subscriptions in order to "go to summer camp" or win a scholarship or some other far-fetched thing. This one bothers me the most since I've read about exploitative outfits that put at-risk teens in a van and drive them around the country forcing them to sell magazines or chocolate or whatever lovely product as if it were a fundraiser, but in reality it boils down to forced labor that quite possibly borders on criminal activity.

- Random guy with a box of stuffed animals, wants me to donate to a specific kid who needs leukemia treatment at the local hospital. $10 cash would make a big difference and I get to pick this assorted carnival prize! For some reason this story worked on me and I gave the guy a $10 bill but I didn't want to touch any of the stuffed animals so I told him I didn't want to pick one. My neighbor got the same spiel but just laughed and said, "lemme give you directions to this rich neighborhood real close to here." I felt like a sucker instantly but he seemed kind of special-needs himself and his psychological maneuvering won me over in the moment. I had also had a couple beers and was in a suggestive mood so I still entertain hope this donation was real (no it wasn't he bought drugs/alcohol instead).

- Jehova's witnesses on Saturday knocking with annoying frequency. No thanks I am already familiar with TEH WATCHTOWER

- White-shirt mormon boys, trying to make that crucial step from bottom-feeding "brother" to pimp-rear end "Elder" via the virtue of missionary work. At least these guys are fairly honest and unassuming, but they keep coming back like a plague of locusts. I've heard that you can ask them to help you out with yardwork or whatever and they'll happily oblige (as Jesus would have) but I always just give them the hard pass. Maybe a smile and a wave if I see them biking around when I'm outside.

- Weird guy with a baseball hat and a clipboard in 2010, asked me several pointed questions about who lives at my address and what race I identify as. An odd angle for a scam but seemed content to leave after receiving a few basic answers.

- 2012 election season campaign door-knocker. He told me about how great our democratic senator was, how they needed my support, etc. etc. He was a marine and talked about how he didn't get the chance to have a nice education and go to school like I did. He even handed me his real marine military ID with his photo on it. He wanted cash in his hand, I said I preferred to donate electronically but I was happy to enter his referral number or whatever. Dude had spent 5 minutes or so agreeing with me about politics at this point and got mad I wasn't going to give him cash. I pointed to the other side of the street where people actually owned their houses and might be more willing to part with their money. He didn't leave me with a donation code or identifying number. This one could be similar to the teens in a van, except it's "veterans" asking for cash?

- I have recently moved in to an apartment. It is a work night and I'm asleep with the lights out. Knock knock knock on front door, "what the gently caress? I think in my head." Don appropriate attire and answer the front door. It is a man with a yellow vest and ID badge on a lanyard, with a police officer standing a few feet behind him. "Do you know the whereabouts of a Mr. Smith?" he asks. I sleepily stammer, "Mr... Smith? No... there is no-one at this residence by that name. I moved to this address a few weeks ago." The cop and yellow vest man exchange sideways glances and leave after thanking me for my time. Thieves casing the joint for later I imagine.

- Guys delivered me a mattress I had ordered via a major department store. While they were unloading it I searched "do you tip white-glove mattress delivery people" and the internet came to the rescue. I came across this famous quote on yahoo which will stay with me forever: "poo poo they're already at your place. Break 'em off a piece!" So I gave the main guy a $20 and told him, "this is for both of you to split" but I'm pretty sure he just kept it all. Maybe there is honor among mattress deliverymen, I dunno. Nevertheless to this day I remember to tip all types of service people well and break off small pieces as necessary.

e: spaced out the bullet points

Asimov fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 24, 2018

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Does it work? Do you see enthusiastic people saunter up toward your door and then abruptly frown as they glimpse the sticker, slowly turning around and sighing heavily as they plod back out toward the street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

Is selling epipens a gray black market too?

Asking for a friend.

No idea, but I heard that each parent has to provide their own EpiPens to their child's school. It must vary by district/state but imagine 100 parents purchasing 1+ EpiPens for their child to take to school, and then 95% of them expiring after 18 months going unused. I suppose it would be unconscionable to have some sort of communal store of EpiPens. Skylar needs to have several of them on-deck at all times even if a poorer kid is going into anaphylactic shock right this moment.

"If your child has been diagnosed with an allergy/health condition that requires the use of an EpiPen, it is still your responsibility to provide your child’s EpiPen to the school nurse on or before the first day of class along with medical orders."