Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
The idea that "MSG is bad for you" is a bit of a con in itself.

https://www.thecut.com/2014/08/msg-isnt-harmful.html posted:

MSG’s bad rap began in the late 1960s, when the author of a letter to the editor of The New England Journal of Medicine complained of what he dubbed “Chinese restaurant syndrome” — numbness, weakness, and headaches, all of which he attributed to the MSG in Chinese food. But decades of research have found no link between MSG and weakness, numbness, or headaches in most people, though a small amount of people will experience very mild symptoms after consuming huge quantities of MSG. (They’d need to consume three grams at once; for reference, most of us consume 0.55 grams every day.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Tubgoat posted:

The used video game store, Games and Go, is a loving scam. Motherfuckers offered me $2 for Duck Tales 2 (NES, original non-repro, no box, no manual). Said they'd probably resell it for $10, maybe less. I called a reputable game store and inquired about its approximate value.
"...we can't give you a quote over the phone, but the owner will be in the store tomorrow morning to afternoon."
"Is the reason you can't give me a quote because it's a much higher figure than $2 and you don't want me getting upset later if it turns out you can't offer quite as much as originally quoted?"
"That is correct."

loving gently caress Games and Go, motherfuckers looted what remaines of my mate's video game shop after his literally good-for-nothing brother embezzled it, and the motherfuckers are still at it.

If you live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, do not EVER sell anything to Games and Go.

I used to work at a used game store and the reason we couldn't give price estimates over the phone was because people would (a) either claim "some guy" promised them a different amount that was way higher than what our systems actually said, or (b) bring in stuff that was dirty or had missing labels or, in multiple occasions, urine-stained, and get mad when we couldn't buy it at all or had to buy it at a discount.

Also, sometimes people would wait like three months after they called in for an estimate to trade in their item, and then be shocked if we were offering less because we'd gotten more copies in since their last call.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

luxury handset posted:

i joined our nextdoor mostly for lost pets and to sell off old furniture but i stopped checking it months ago because even though i live in a pretty hippy liberal place, it's still nothing but wall to wall retirees whining about noise and non-white people

Mine is 90% stay-at-home parents complaining about "the homeless problem", but in that way where you can tell they're only upset that they have to see homeless people.

None of their solutions have anything to do with actually helping people find shelter, it's all about punishing or humiliating them.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

BiggerBoat posted:

I know people don't like Cracked around here and these aren't technically scams even though I put them in that category. Basically just common and dishonest sales techniques that commission are taught to implement

https://www.cracked.com/pictofacts-1599-heres-how-stores-trick-you-into-spending-money/

Also, along similar lines are fine print, terms of agreement check boxes and sped up radio ad disclaimers that no one can read, understand or hear but are legally binding in the event you get ripped off. I see and hear these bank, car loan and healthcare ads and there's illegible type and sped up audio every time.

E: fixed my link. Thanks Proteus Jones

I'm not really sure how this one counts as a scam? "Our waiter did their job well even when their coworkers didn't, clearly the waiter is the bad one here"

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Job hunting is impossible right now. I have to answer all incoming calls in case they’re a job. It’s never a job. It’s always a scam.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Just got this text at 12:14 AM on a Thursday night and I think it hits every red flag there is.

quote:

Hi, My name is Rodney. I received your phone number from care.com, can you work from HOME as a Personal Assistant to help with my errands? I work at General Atlantic with a focus on both local and international businesses, the majority of my clients are out of state and out of the country. I require assistance because I am frequently out of State. I'm currently on a business trip to Toronto, Canada. I'll pay you ahead of time to complete my shopping, pay my bills, and have some products delivered to the orphanage. The hours are flexible and can be done at your convenient time. In addition, I will provide you with sufficient funds and detailed instructions for each work. Payment will be via Bank Certified Check from my US Bank. You will be paid 730 USD each week for 4 hours of service. Please respond with your

*Full Name:
*Full Address (with Apt/Suite#):
*City, State & Zip Code:
*Current Occupation:
*Are you clean from a felony?
*Email:

I’ll send more details via EMAIL on the first thing to do for me as soon as I receive your information. Thanks

I don’t even have a care.com account…

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

m0therfux0r posted:

Within the past week or so, two friends of mine have separately gotten weird texts that are just a single picture of a woman's (or at least female-presenting) hand holding a drink. One friend got a picture of some kind of iced coffee or frozen drink, completely free of branding. The other got a photo of a bottle of wine (you can see the label in this one). Neither had any text accompanying the image whatsoever- it was just a photo sent over SMS with nothing else.

Is this some kind of weird scam trying to goad them into replying and then getting into the scammy part? Or did two friends of mine just happen to get two very similar wrong-number texts within the same few days and there's some poor actual friend who didn't get confirmation that their friend/partner was indeed coming home with the correct drinks?

I've gotten that one a lot - I think they're just fishing for active numbers. There's also one with a blonde lady's selfie that I've gotten like three times from three different numbers. I feel bad for the lady whose photo was stolen.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Discendo Vox posted:

Do we have any good effortposts or resources on how current MLM schemes work, how they're regulated and how they're legal? I'm not caught up in any, thank goodness, but I've always been curious about how companies like Amway have stuck around despite...gestures broadly everything.

The subreddit /r/antiMLM is a good source.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

We are Linda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

greazeball posted:

We're part of a phish-hunting "contest" at work and it's dreadful. I work in a college but the contest is on the municipal level so you can see how all the different departments stack up. The secretaries and admins are beating the IT dept at reporting all the planted phishing emails we get. Meanwhile the teaching staff are under 60% so I'm also glad I have my own device and storage and I'm not sharing with these goobers.

Every time I hear about someone's work doing those phishing tests, I think about this GoDaddy story:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/24/22199406/godaddy-wins-2020-stupidity-award

quote:

GoDaddy wins our 2020 award for most evil company email

The domain registrar tricked employees into thinking they earned a bonus

As The Copper Courier originally reported, GoDaddy sent an email phishing “test” to its employees promising much-needed money: “2020 has been a record year for GoDaddy, thanks to you!” it said. “Though we cannot celebrate together during our annual Holiday Party, we want to show our appreciation and share a $650 one-time Holiday bonus!”

The employees who clicked the link then reportedly received an email two days later telling them they failed the test. Instead of receiving a holiday bonus, they’d instead be required to take a training course on social engineering.

Keep in mind, this was Christmas 2020. The first Christmas during the pandemic. Great time to toy with people's finances!