Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pilsner posted:

But does it have to be $5000? My last car, a 2004 VW Polo, cost the equivalent of $4500, but I live in the country with the most expensive cars in the entire world (Denmark). I can't imagine you can't find a decent daily driver from the mid-2000's in the USA for $2000 or less. Am I wrong?

$2000 is not a lot of money in my opinion. If you can't save up $2k over the span of a few months, why borrow money to buy a new car at horrendous rates? The money will quickly be burnt in interest and fees.

Buying brand new cars is just a frivolous waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own. I always advise people to buy a 5-10 year old car, instead of new. You pay out the nose in depreciation, even if you have the cash in hand.

57% of American households have less than $1000 in savings. 39% have el zilcho.

Guess I'll link source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Amway gave us Betsy DeVos. That's about all you need to know.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

lol if you own a vac that takes consumable bags in 2018 much less paid a used car for one

We have central vac. Cost about a grand for the unit and hoses. Plumbing came with the house. :smugdog:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

The best reason to use plastic for everything is that cash is a resort hotel for communicable cold/flu/etc germs

So is a credit scanner.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The real scams washing your hands with hot/warm water.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Not gonna lie, I’m considering buying a prepaid credit card for the Russian mystery drug box.

E: It’s probably a kilogram of phenazepam and krokodil mixed together, but I can’t be sure until I inject it.

Enjoy your new grand piano.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah, used to work retail, its called "sticker swapping" or something and I think its legally considered fraud. Its why price stickers have cuts across them so you cant easily peel it off in one piece.

Common enough to have a Macklemore song written about it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Captain Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/silentpocket/status/1189698587845771265

So basically it’s just turning off your phone, but your battery also goes down.

Do they also sell festive hats?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There's a really good reason why health insurance companies want you to get flu shots. Those assholes are laser focused on not paying for poo poo and wouldn't cover flu shots if they didn't get massive ROIs.

Get poked friends.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

I’d never had a flu shot until last year I finally got one and now I love trains and have difficulty interacting in social situations

You've been getting them since at least 2015 don't lie.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

Nextdoor is the greatest place on earth to troll people. I like to offer to purchase random cats and dogs that people have found.

I love poo poo posting on nextdoor. It's a whole different world ripe for conquest.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Theranos was really effective at taking old white guys money.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

Schools are lady things and plus she’s a gazillionaire, which Holmes is not anymore.

Similarly, Elaine Chao is a gazillionaire and also married to Mitch McConnell :smithicide:

There's a reason Kentucky keeps getting sweet rear end DOT projects.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Inceltown posted:

Dr Phil is probably spitting out more sense than Orange Man. There are a whole bunch of heads of state now saying dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, number must go up so olds must die.

To be fair, my rear end in a top hat spits out more sense about affairs than orange man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I had to do this a while back too. I think the reasoning was that plates get old and beat up and sometimes specs change with regard to reflectiveness or whatever. I would actually be fine with this if they didn't already have an opportunity to inspect the state of my plates when they force me to go in for emissions testing anyway. For states that don't have emissions testing it makes a tiny amount of sense to require new plates every once in a while.

But now I have the plate for the first car I ever owned as a keepsake so that's cool. It's still sitting in the same spot on the floor of my office as it was that day 12 years ago, halfway buried beneath a wire rack. I would never have been able to keep this valued piece of my young adulthood without the state of Washington telling me I had to replace it.

The reflective coating fades over time. Cheaper to just go "ok x% of plates fade to below spec reflective doodads after 7 years so let's just replace them every 7 years."

Could setup a test to monitor it during emissions but that's effort.