Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Guys, I recently got a job at a call center that seemed like a dream come true. As a felon, there aren't very many jobs in offices that I'm able to get so of course I jumped on the chance to randomly call people on the phone and lower the interest rates on their credit cards.

At first, everything seemed pretty okay and me and my cousin had a decent time bullshitting for 6 hours a day while perusing the internet. But that was several weeks ago. The job itself is shrouded in mystery and no one will tell me exactly what it is we do, other than "qualify customers to have their interest rates lowered." This is a thing my boss acknowledges can be done for free at the bank by the customers themselves.

So I turn to you intelligent people to tell me how legitimate it is to have a third party lower the interest rates on your credit cards. I don't wanna scam old people and if this is basically a scam I need to get the gently caress out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Piell posted:

Pretty much every call center is a scam

Well in that case I'm lucky enough to be poo poo at selling people things they don't want so have not actually scammed anyone except myself.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 26, 2018

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Red Oktober posted:

If I had to guess, you’re generating leads for credit card companies. You qualify the customers which are eligible for a lower rate, and feed that to companies who will then try to get them to switch.

I don't want to sound naive or like an idiot, and I did a little research that got me thinking along the lines of what you're saying, but they told us specifically that we're not doing that. What I don't understand is what do they gain from keeping us in the dark as to the true nature of what we're doing?

The few complaints I read online at the BBB said something along the lines of what you're saying we're probably doing.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That wasn't to say that you're not right. I think that you're probably a lot closer to the truth of what I'm doing than I am. I just don't understand the need for subterfuge with your own employees.

I never had to navigate morality at McDonald's. I instinctively knew I was working for bad people at a bad company while I followed orders and flipped hamburgers all day.