Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilmucche posted:

I don't think I've seen a credit card in the UK or France either. Admittly I don't really look at people's cards, but debit seems more common for locals here.

Probably depends on what generation you are. I'm 42 and can't think of anyone in my circle of friends who doesn't have a CC.
Older people are more "Not going into debt for anything, if I can't afford it I'll save up until I can".
I have 7 CCs, normally pay them off in full each month but will sometimes hold a balance for a couple of months (nothing huge) and just suck up paying the interest, each card in rotation - it keeps my credit score high because banks don't want to lend to people they won't make money from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

drive me nuts to school posted:

This is strictly false. You never need to carry a balance.

The other concern is the amount of available credit you have - between my cards I have close to 250k in available credit, which I rarely use except as I described above.
Should I shut down a few of the cards, and just keep a couple of the bigger limit ones for emergencies? One Visa and one MasterCard, maybe?

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nice piece of fish posted:

Thanks for reminding me, I got myself a waterproof phone esp. to wipe it down for germs because ugh. What's best to use, just alcohol wipes?

OCD rears it's ugly head again. Where do you work, as a tank scraper at a sewage treatment plant or something? You actually bought a specific model of phone so you could wipe it down to get rid of germs?

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doubtful Guest posted:

In the UK we have whole companies who manage Ground Rent on properties - usually very little (£100 a year) but insist on being paid by cheque and have no other way of contacting them/paying so they can make money on late fees.

Hence having a cheque book just for paying them every quarter.

My ground rent is 25 a year and every year the company who want the cash is different, but they always want a cheque. I haven't paid ground rent since I bought this house 16 years ago, and have never been chased for it.
I found my last cheque book a couple of weeks ago - the cheques in it are from 1997!