Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it's a testament to how bad open source software is that these megacorps are able to intentionally poo poo the bed with the lights on. there's just no other workable options. GIMP still blows, linux is assinine, FreeBSD is but it shouldn't be, there's nothing usable.

I use Blender for work (lol), and while I'm super comfortable with our custom version of 2.79, the 2.8 update both broke a bunch of addons I use, and has a pretty awful new UI for quick navigation. It sucks too, for all the bugs they fixed/features they added, they focused mostly on making it "new user friendly" (ie grabbing random poo poo from max and maya), leading to nonstop bitching from me and everyone else I work with.

What's funny is the two studios I work for both started on Maya, but massive frustration with Autodesk caused the switch. Now, one of them has relegated Blender to modeling, with Houdini/Arnold for layout/rendering, and the other just has Blender devs to fix poo poo occasionally.

I probably shouldn't complain too much since Blender has made me a bunch of money, but now that money is going towards SideFX/Autodesk so I can keep things smooth with the Houdini studio. Pretty much the whole situation Blender was supposed to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU