Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.
:krad:

Yams Fan

Better late than whatever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

We have stacks of USB drives that we use with embedded systems. I can't even imagine what would happen if some nefarious person just left a bad one sitting in the stack someplace.

At least the lab is restricted access, I guess.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

Dream Attack posted:

I had an odd marketing scam recently. I was calling my insurance company but before I got on their line, I heard a spiel that told me to take a quick phone survey to possibly win a cruise.

There wasn't an option not to, so I thought whatever and did the survey. The few questions were really dumb, like "do you like getting the best value on a trip?". After I did the survey, surprise I won a cruise!

It connected me to some guy who said "congratulations" in the most boring possible way, so I figured he does this hundreds of times a week. I just hung up, called again and actually got my insurance company.

I'd never had bothered if they had called me, but it was the first time i'd had that happen when I called a reputable company. That or I just tossed away a free cruise, haha.

You dialed a digit off and you have Cigna. I did the same thing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

chemosh6969 posted:

A couple of us went to meet a co-worker's fiance at the place she worked. So we walk out from the base and start going downtown. Then we start going in the direction where all the bars are. Yep, that's where she worked. Best part was when she was on stage, he got up, went to the stage, got down on one knee and pulled out a ring.
OK, I gotta know what this guy did for a living and what happened after.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

My mom locked my 9 month old daughter in my new car, then flagged down a cop that TRIED his slim Jim, but just hosed up the paint and the lock.

When I got there he ghosted.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

OLd CRTs were incredibly emissive, I had one that would interfere with a nearby radio (battery-operated, so not a wiring issue). Given that analog horizontal and vertical syncs times are well-known I suspect they would be easy to identify.

Actually, your could probably look for x-rays too, CRT glass wasn't even leaded until 1980 or so!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

AlphaKretin posted:

My private gmail is firstname + 3 initials and I still somehow get mail addressed to some Californian professor. I just ignore it. :shrug:
Aha, I get a California snake expert/professor.

Also, he suffers from the same "dead gramma season" that my wife did when she taught freshman.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

I remember reading that most oldschool numbers rackets had better odds than state lotteries. Can’t find it with google though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

CommonShore posted:

Yeah that's hosed.
I keep thinking that there is room for a 'delivery' app that simply pays the delivery person whatever the app charges and pays the restaurant retail. Cutting the unicorn middleman out would save a fortune.
Same with 'car sharing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

Yams Fan

Just let she’s sending stuff to the wrong guy and she’s getting blocked. Then do it.

I run into this poo poo a lot, although not this bad, as my first.last name at gmail isn’t uncommon and my wife shares hers with a famous news presenter.

It was a very sad day when my wife stopped letting me troll people that emailed her thinking she was said news presenter.