Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Sexuality academics are going to have a field day with future data from these latchkey youtube kids whose sexual preferences defy what we believe to be kinky. A generation of foot slime fetishists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
This counts as more of a corporate level scam.

Target at least often lists their online products at a much lower price versus the in store versions. Not only can you just have them send it to the store without paying shipping, but also they will straight up do a price match right at the register. I didn't know that until today, but I don't know how many other people even think to do it, or how many other stores do this as well.

It feels like taking advantage of people who still buy in the physical stores, particularly the elderly who are already on a budget. I know the reasons are probably many for this practice, like driving up website traffic for advertisers and trying to maximize profits from hoping people don't know or are too lazy to take advantage of price matching at that moment. But I know now I will be checking those online prices at Target now next time I buy. Feels shady as hell.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12075527/NSW-Police-warn-bizarre-rise-virtual-kidnappings-targeting-Chinese-students-Australia.html

"Authorities have issued a warning over a sophisticated 'virtual kidnapping' extortion racket targeting Chinese international students.

Four cases were reported in April, with scammers forcing victims into taking photos of themselves as if they've been 'kidnapped, tied up and gagged' before sending them to their families for ransom money.

Victims aged 17-23 are contacted by scammers posing as Chinese authorities, police, or staff from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate before they are told they need to pay large sums of money between $175,000 and $200,000 to avoid being deported or being placed under arrest.

'When they've extorted all the money they can from these victims, it then escalates where they trick and coerce the victim into faking their own kidnapping and taking photographs of themselves in vulnerable positions,' Detective Superintendent Joe Doueihi said.

'Unfortunately, on all the cases we've seen, the victims legitimately believe they are speaking to Chinese officials and that the threats will occur if they don't comply.'

Initial contact can be made via calls or on encrypted messaging apps like Telegraph, WhatsApp and WeChat. Police believe the perpetrators are 'predominantly offshore'.

In one case, police say a 17-year-old boy was told by someone posing as a postal service worker that he had contraband goods in a package under his name that had been sent to Chinese police for investigation.

The teenager was told to pay $20,000 to prove his innocence and instructed to stage a kidnapping to extort money from his family to pay a fake debt.

Police became involved after his family in China reported receiving photos of the teenager appearing injured and kidnapped and were able to locate him safely and before money was transferred.

Superintendent Doueihi said the emotional toll on the victims was severe, with some 'psychologically traumatised' victims requiring hospitalisation.

'It's such an elaborate scam that they can talk to these victims for hours and hours and sometimes days on end,' he said.

'They absolutely convince them and psychologically trick them into believing they will be arrested and their families will be harmed if they don't comply with their requests.

'They are psychologically traumatised.'"