Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

http://www.transgallaxys.com/~emerald/files/MerchantsOfDeception.pdf

I read this a few years ago (probably following a link from here) and found it informative.

Its everything you ever wanted to know about how MLMs actually make certain people very rich at the expense of literally everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

therobit posted:

There's a mall near me that has a Macy's and a Ross, but has lost Sears, Toys R Us, Marshalls, and Nordstrom. They have a ice rink there that was doing decent lessons business pre-covid. When I went there the Saturday after Thanksgiving, everywhere but the ice rink was completely dead. It was just sad to see. The worst part is that while the ice rink was the only place doing lots of business, it used to be twice as large and got cut down in a mall remodel a decade ago.

Part of me thinks the Ice Rink was originally a "loss leader" - even if busy it was breaking even or losing money because it's expensive to run, but as an attraction to bring people in to shop at the other stores it works out.

If the rest of the mall wasn't making money it couldn't subsidize the Ice Rink any longer, and they down-sized it to lower the running costs.