Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Confirming IT likes to flatten and reinstall anything involved with a cryptolocker. They got one of our people a couple weeks ago with an email from "COMPANYNAME Xerox" titled something along the lines of 'your scanned file'. Nevermind that not only has no copier in the company ever been configured to allow scan to email, or that there's not only no Xerox brand machine at that office, but not one Xerox branded machine in the company, and that the user in question hadn't scanned anything in days. :eng101: Thankfully, it announced itself with minutes of him opening it, and we pulled his computer off the network before it got to anything - wouldn't have mattered too much, just would have been a bit of work to roll back everything. Didn't even use the same HDD for the re-image, wrote 'LOCKY' on it and threw it in the bin of HDDs heading for the drill press.

Had a fun MLM run in - went out to a bar, caught Uber home. Driver was cute, we exchanged numbers, and she texted me the next day wondering if I wanted to hang out with her and a couple friends. Show up, full fledged MLM pitch for some poo poo called Dreamtrips/Worldventure - you pay a $200 sign up fee and $50 a month to get discounted vacations, and then there's the whole AND YOU CAN MAKE MONEY TOO thing. Super high pressure sales techniques, my personal favorite was at the end they did a bit on how ever person below you counted, so you would lose potential money just by being the second person in the room to sign up. I think they took all three of the other marks for a cool $400 each in a total of three minutes, yelling 'WE HAVE OUR FIRST AGENT RIGHT HERE". Apparently they do actually sell the vacation packages, but they glossed over a few things that made it a really lovely deal - every dollar you spent was converted to points which you could apply to vacations, but there was a limit to how many points you could apply to each given vacation, and I suspect that many did not let you use them at all. Also they weren't available for use for a year, and expired a year after that, so by the time you could actually use them you were $850 in. Also, since they did huge 'wholesale' vacations, you'd be stuck in a different city/country literally surrounded by MLM devotees.

It was really depressing how these 18 year old kids ate that poo poo up so quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
At the one I was at the other day, they just brought out a laptop and tried to get you to put your payment info in right there.