Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
My bank is hyper vigilant about turning off my card for suspicious charges. Which would be great if I didn't work as a touring roadie on a theater show. I'm in a new city twice a week, which I know should raise alarm bells. Even when I speak with them and say what my job is, they turn it back on, and it happens again two loving weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Similar to the “we buy houses” thing, I’ve always been curious about the signs that say “We buy diabetic testing supplies!”

What’s the game there? Why do they want diabetic testing supplies?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

That’s somehow both less and more hosed up than I thought.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

For folks that are interested in the whole Theranos debacle, there’s a great documentary available on HBO about it, called “The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley.”

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Yesterday I got a phone call (sent to voice mail) with a robotic computer generated voice. Said they were “US Social Security” and that they “had to disable [my] social security number because a fraud was detected.” If I just pressed one, I could “disable the fraud and speak to agents to fix the number.”

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure my account was compromised too; I logged in after not using it for a few weeks to find a ton (a TON) of songs on my recently played that I'd never listened to, and then the next time I logged in songs were being added as I was not listening.

I was tempted to let it be, if you have to steal someone else's Spotify account you must be really poor. But it was loving up my history and recommendations so I logged out of all devices, removed synced devices (there were more smartphones listed than I've ever had), reset my password, and it's been fine since then.

Same thing happened to me. It was logged in to a computer and an Android phone in Columbia, while I live in New York.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Speaking of scams... I have the option of paying my rent electronically or by check. Electronic comes with a $35 fee.

Similar thing with the natural gas in my city. It costs $4.99 to pay by card online, so I mail them a check. :shrug: I’d rather spend $.75 on a stamp each month instead of the “convenience fee” they charge.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I’ve been getting at least 4 calls a day, all with my area code and roughly the same number (123-270-xxxx) each time. I reject the call and they usually don’t leave a voicemail. Finally got a message out of one of them, which was about Extended Warranties for my car.

I’ve been getting 4+ calls a day for over two months. Every single day. No matter how many numbers I block, and I block each one that comes through, I keep getting them because they’re spoofing landline numbers from my area. I can’t loving take these calls anymore. I just have my ringer off by default so I wind up missing important calls and texts. Short of setting up my phone to reject all calls that aren’t in my contacts, does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do? I’m already registered on the Do Not Call list, but these scammers don’t abide by the list.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

wizzardstaff posted:

If you are using an iPhone, the latest software version has this built in as a native feature. Sends all calls straight to voicemail if they aren't in your contacts or recent call lists.

Thank you, I didn’t know about that feature.

I enabled it, so hopefully that’ll help.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

hyperhazard posted:

Lularoe? You send then money, they send you whatever they feel like. Then you're stuck trying to figure out how to sell 5 medium and 20 XXS santa-themed leggings in June. They also require you to buy an insane amount of product when you join, we're talking multiple thousands of dollars for their smallest starter pack.

They're currently busy being sued into bankrupcy.

I see them pop up on Facebook marketplace from so many different people in my city. I was also gifted a pair a while back and they aren’t even that nice of leggings. I got better quality ones at Target. And those were half the price my friend was charging for Lularoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

toplitzin posted:

My co-worker is her cousin, and he will staunchly defend her in the face of reality.

I used to work for the production company that manages her tours. She moves so much merchandise.