Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Fun scam I've heard of recently.

Person rents a place using AirBnB for a couple of days, posts rental a listing for occupancy in a month or so and does a viewing/open house.

People multiple go, love the place - gives a deposit to the "landlord" (generally last month's rent) who cashes the checks and runs (takes from multiple future "tenants").

4 weeks later when they come to move in, loads of people are there and there's a pissed off building owner dealing with screaming people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Craptacular posted:

This is similar to the only type of unwanted call that I ever get. Maybe once a week I'll get a call from a spoofed number. Answer it and there'll be some tones on the other end; never a human or even a recording of one. When I hang up, I'll get 2-5 more calls from the same number in the next half hour or so, with the same tones on the other end. Same result if I let it go to voicemail. The next time it happens it'll be a different number, but the same result.

this is an automated outbound dialing software that normally connects you to a free agent when you answer. the beeps are it attempting to detect if it called a fax machine by mistake.

in your case there's no agent to talk to you, so it hangs up and puts you in the "call back quickly since you are answering" queue.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Captain Monkey posted:

Maybe the spa has an old system that does all cc transactions at once, scheduled at 2am. That used to be a thing that most companies did and some smaller companies still do it.

Common if they have a system that deals with tips. The initial transaction goes through (actually just does a hold for the amount), and the full transaction goes through (gets posted) at the end of the night and updates payroll/etc with a single batch amount after it figures out the tip formula for the staffers. (Usually when tips are shared/pooled among everyone working that day)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

In Canada it turns out you can't cancel a check once it's written. The only way to stop payment is to destroy the physical check.

So the scam is that you write a cheque, person claims they didn't receive it/lost it, get you to write one again (and presumably you get a stop payment on the first one).

Then they cash both checks at like Money Mart or other check cashing place.

Major banks will honour the cancelled check notification, but MM won't.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/you-wrote-it-you-pay-it-1.783378

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Iirc, Discover's merchant fees are lower than visa/mc (and Amex is the highest), so it's usually a case of no good reason not to take it as a merchant.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Just checking, published interchange fees are in line with Visa/MC, but if doing bundled fees type pricing, discover edged out a bit, so maybe there's some backend discounting happening. :shrug:

Traditionally (decades ago) Amex always charged the most because they had the high net worth clients. Discover had business card/travelers (standard joe type travelers who didn't have a big expense account), so they could get away with higher fees because hotels/restaurants accepted it. On the personal card front Visa had North America, and Mastercard was Europe/elsewhere. Obviously that's changed and not true any more and everyone has a bit of everything.

Business cards aren't like the past (they generally are personally liable now days as it's too easy to bankrupt a company after maxing out the cards), and with Visa/MC aligned with the corporate banks and they aimed for a piece of that pie, so Discover got hosed and must be rebuilding finally.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Iirc, some of the videos are now algorithmicly generated for the clicks, so just start getting darker and darker.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

bamhand posted:

I've gotten 10+ calls to my work number in the past week. I picked up once and it was just silence but the calls keep coming. Googling the number says it's a robocall thing. It's the first time I've had a robo call try to call repeatedly from the same number.

It's due to the new antispam (shaken/stir) stuff. They're making "legit" calls out so that the it looks like the source number makes calls and doesn't get clamped down quickly/automatically. . Normally they call company numbers to get an ivr to answer and not care if there is silence.

Eventually they'll change it up and do the real spamming calls in a much higher volume.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Insurance companies have discovered the treasure trove that information on their clients gives them and are now collecting as much as possible because who knows what in the future it'll show.

It used to be that they had to look at a group of people and do statistical analysis to guess how many who would have no/some/lot of issues and set rates averaging that out across that group.

That's no longer the case and they are increasingly drilling down the dataset to singleton levels and dropping the "expensive" people. (additionally the "expensive" payouts are also getting higher these days too).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Just the reminder that if you want to save on brokerage fees with the courier companies, sign up for an account with them (its free) and apply the fees to it. The majority of the brokerage charge is dealing with the "unknown user/recipient" COD temporary account generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Most impressive was the new scam of sending a package tracking email for something that you didn't buy. But apple picks up the tracking info and starts following the phantom package/courier for updates in its own app.

So over a few days it looks like you've got a package that you watch get misdelivered and ping pong between sites all the while there's a link to the scam site to resolve the delivery issue.