Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

If high school computer classes today are similar to what I got, they'd be five years behind on the scams anyway.

We were loving around with 5" floppies in the late nineties for gently caress's sake. The teacher thought a "hard drive" was a 3 1/4" floppy.

Only if you're in Iowa or something. A friend of mine actually teaches a HS computer class in San Francisco, and they're doing coding for Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Sheep posted:

It seems obvious they just collect the public records on property sales every day but I can't figure out why. No bank is going to give you a mortgage without also requiring enough insurance to cover the full tax value of the property so what's the angle?

And in some cases, the public agencies actually partner with the insurance providers (while this is more likely to be legit, it's still often pretty drat unlikely you'll need it). Our water company apparently sold their list to an insurance company that sends me notices every other month to sign up for flood insurance.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Those are terrible apps, don't install them.

Apps asking for blanket permission should be a red flag. The lack of heavy lockdown options is the thing I hate most about iOS.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

This Friday, I had a likely scammer try to get my info, using a job offer email as their cover.

"My name is [Scammerina Scamlady] and I am Account Manager at [Company]. I came across your resume and wanted to reach out to you about this role with our client E-trade in [local area] they are currently looking for two Branch Services Customer Service Representative (Call Center).
If you are interested in the position below, please attach a MS Word with the questions below answered, please send to [scammer at fuckface dot com]"

The first few questions were simple enough, asking about experience, but I noticed that there were some typographical errors in the intro and the questions.

"12. What is your commute to Bolingbrook, IL look like?" (Note that the local area I live in is on the west coast)

Then came the kickers of:

"13. First Advantage requires vendors to provide Last 4 digits of candidates SS# (Please provide)
14. First Advantage requires vendors to provide Last Month and Day of Birth (Please provide)"

Keep in mind that this is the initial contact email asking for my SSN and Date of Birth... excuse me, my Last Date of Birth. Apparently they're only concerned with this body, and not any of my previous reincarnations.

My reply, just in case they weren't a scammer, was a matter of fact "I do not give this information out in email. I would be willing to provide it at the time of hire, however." to the personal info questions, and a longer response to the commute question of "Assuming you actually mean Bolingbrook, that’s a 2300-mile trip, certainly not a “commute.” You would have to be willing to pay airfare, lodging, and car rentals to and from. However, assuming instead that you mean [local area], that is a short and easy (15-60 minutes depending upon traffic) commute for me."

Yesterday morning in the early AM, I get a call from Scammerina, where she is evasive about the request for personal info, stating that it's "required to make an ID Number" over and over again. When I finally tell her that if she absolutely needs a SSN and DoB, she can enter 000-00-0000 and 1 January 1900, she got belligerent and gave up on me.

While I understand someplace needing that info for a background check, this kind of poo poo needs to be in physical writing and maybe after an initial interview, certainly not first contact.

teh winnar! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 16, 2018

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Got a text from a local area code number that says "Sorry, I can't talk right now. Call back later."

Is this a scammer looking for a bite or is my number being spoofed?

Probably the latter; iOS includes a "decline call but respond with a pre-set text message" option. I wouldn't be surprised if other phone OS's can do that too.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Guys, I recently got a job at a call center that seemed like a dream come true. As a felon, there aren't very many jobs in offices that I'm able to get so of course I jumped on the chance to randomly call people on the phone and lower the interest rates on their credit cards.

Sounds like one of three things, two of which actually are legitimate.

"Balance Transfers" are deals that major banks do with their credit cards. The gist of it is that Citibank pays off your Amex and you pay Citibank at a lower (to you) rate. This is genuinely used by people to get their credit card balances under control, as there is a lower rate (When I did these in 2000, purchase rates were 15-20% APR and the balance transfer rates tended to be 2-7%). As long as you cancel those cards you paid off (don't accrue more debt), don't put anything else on the BC card either (payments tend to go towards your lowest rate balances first, meaning if you have $10,000 balance transfer and $5,000 purchases, that 5k will accrue interest at the higher rate the whole time until the 10k is paid of), and don't miss a payment (most BC deals have contracts stating that a single missed payment brings the entire balance to either the purchase rate or the Default rate, which is something insane like Prime plus 20%), you'll do fine. The banks count on either you loving up with the above, or at least reaping the win-win of getting some interest at the lower rate.

"Debt Consolidation" are those things you hear about on the radio, which involves the third party making a deal with your creditors to pay off a portion of what you owe in order for them to call it even, then you pay the debt consolidation place. Much like balance transfers except you get charged an up-front fee. There are ways to do this for free or at a much lower rate than what the consolidators charge, but you're trading time and effort for money there.

Finally, there are scams pretending to be the former, and folks just trying to skim as many details as they can to do some nice identity theft shenanigans.

teh winnar! fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 7, 2018

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

About 60% of adults in the UK have at least one credit card. US is about 75%.

Personally I use a credit card for absolutely everything, because I pay it off every month and get rewards for using it, plus I can cancel charges if I need to (only happened once).

I think people are daft using debit cards when you get free stuff for using a credit card.

That's because you use a credit card for convenience. Unfortunately, a lot of people use a credit card for credit (to pay for things they can't afford), leading to spiraling debt. Different, but related, many banks use some predatory techniques with their cards (remember me talking about balance transfers earlier? If you buy something on the card you've used for BTs, your payments go for the BT first, leading to your purchases accruing at the higher rate until all the transfer is paid off) which lead to a credit card not being such a good deal. Finally, not all people can qualify for rewards cards or, if they do, may come with many more strings attached than they do for you (like annual fees or exorbitant rates if they go beyond the initial 20 days). For these reasons, or others I am admittedly not thinking of at the moment, folks that don't want to run those risks or who have been burned in the past use debit cards instead. It isn't daftness, but merely a different situation.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

baquerd posted:

I thought this practice in particular was made illegal a couple years back?

Back when I was working the phone lines for CARD COMPANY HERE, payments went towards the lowest, and that has changed since then. Now, we're both right to an extent. The CARD Act of 2009 makes it so that payments past the minimum have to go to the higher rate balance now, but the base payment can still be done at the creditor's discretion.

Translation: If you're paying more than the minimum, you'll be fine. However, if you're in a situation where you are using the card for credit, you won't be paying off all that higher rate balance with your monthly payments unless you're paying your new balance and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Don Gato posted:

poo poo, wish someone had told me that before I bought that plutonium from the Libyans. Now what am I supposed to do with it?

Either a flux capacitor or a dimensional flux agitator. Frankly, I'd prefer the latter because you can actually leave this hellscape behind. Do the former if you think you can somehow prevent the rise of neo-fascism here, but understand the risks involved.