Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it a fake 20?

It's a common scam that anybody that runs a cash till in any way shape or form gets warned about. The common tactics are things like catching you off guard, misdirection, throwing you off balance, etc. It's called a "quick change artist/scam." What was already said was a common one; swap out a bill and scream about being short changed. Another one is to get you talking so you aren't thinking about it then just be all "bruh you short changed me, give me the moneys." It's easier to do on people on the street as a cash register keeps track of everything. It's balls easy to just close the drawer, count up whatever is in it, and if it's right/a few cents off tell the person to go gently caress themselves.

People that counterfeit money are probably just going to spend it. Quick change scam artists have a different skill set. One of the most common signs of a scam is somebody trying to rush you or throw you off center somehow so you aren't thinking logically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah whoever had my cell number before me managed to get himself on a million things, as well as telling none of his friends he has a new number. I swear it must've been recycled within days. Thank god for the block button on the iPhone, if they don't leave a message and it's out of state it gets blocked immediately. If it's in state... it probably gets blocked too.

I had a similar problem a bajillion years ago before everybody had a cell phone with a land line. I moved into a new apartment and had to get a new number because it was in a different town. Not a big deal; just tell some people you have a new number and get on with your life.

Turns out it was the number of the kind of people who would take out credit cards, max them out, then refuse to pay them back and make sure they were utterly impossible to get a hold of. I got constant calls from credit card companies, collection companies, and people they knew who they owed money to.

They quit calling when I started threatening to sue them for harassment. I can do exactly "gently caress all" about debts owed by people I've literally never met. Collection companies are the worst. It didn't matter how many times I said "those people don't live here and I don't know them. This isn't their number anymore. Stop calling me."

That was also when telemarketing was still huge. I eventually just turned my drat ringer off and told people to talk to my answer machine if they needed to talk to me. I'd call them back. Not long after I got my first cell phone and it finally loving stopped.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:lol: This is great, but it needs another step, maybe "oh no, take off your pants and wave them about to flag down a passing car."

That's the afterparty, actually.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

We had a Bell salesperson come to our house promising us that if we reconnected our cable and home phone our monthly bill would be lower than it is now with just home internet

No contract, but he could guarantee that he could get me that same deal if they ever sent me a notice telling me they were changing it

I said no that we were happy with our situation and he was visibly upset and kept reiterating that I would be saving money. I regret not telling him that I didn't trust his poo poo company and his guarantees were worthless and we both knew it

When I had Comcast every single time I called them to complain about something that needed fixed (which was frequently because loving Comcast...it's like they actively try to be the worst company in existence) they'd repeatedly try to upsell me on my service. They kept saying "but it will save you money! Your bill will go down!" And I'm like no...no it won't. It might go down temporarily but it'll be just that; temporary. I didn't have a reason to have a landline and I don't watch television so I had no reason to ever have either service. The end result would be that my bill would go up while services I would never, ever use would get tacked on. It would do me no good but they would not...shut...UP...about it. Unfortunately my choices at the time were Comcast or "lol gently caress you hope you enjoy the stone age."

When I moved and had a choice I called up Comcast to cancel and told them every single reason why. I didn't yell at the phone guy because it wasn't his fault but I was like "hey send this poo poo up the chain because you work for a terrible company everybody hates." I don't think Comcast gave a poo poo because they have so many areas where they're the only game in town but really...all telcos are awful but Comcast is a special variety of awful.

Of course now I have Verizon who made promises on the phone that weren't delivered because "lol gently caress you it wasn't in writing" but at least my internet loving works now and I actually get the speed I pay for.

...what I'm saying is "gently caress Comcast."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pilsner posted:

Why are you so angry about cable/sat TV and hope that the market crashes, when it's a completely voluntary service? Just don't subscribe to it if you don't like it. Calling it a "major scam" is flat out incorrect.

It's something people have been complaining about for decades; you have to pay monthly to get 300 channels when you only want like 2 of them. If you want special things (sports, HBO, premium movie channels, etc.) you probably end up buying a package. Chances are you just plain can't subscribe to only one channel even though that's all you want. Chances are you also only want to watch a few specific things on that channel. This is why people have been switching to DVDs or NetFlix; why bother with a cable subscription when it's cheaper to just buy that poo poo on DVD or on the interblag when it comes out instead?

Sports is probably the nastiest for that but that was touched on; if you only want to watch one team in one sport you end up paying for a bunch of poo poo you will never, ever watch on top of 300 other channels you will never, ever watch. It's a major scam because it's ultimately a huge monopoly. There are agreements that only one channel will be allowed to show some flavor of sporty thing so you just have to eat poo poo if that's what the cable company decides to make you do. Good loving luck getting only the channel that has what you want to watch; they're going to force you to pay for basic cable to get it in the first place then probably package it with a bunch of other crap you don't need just to watch your favorite team throw a ball around. It's bullshit.

Then again so is sports these days; the prices of tickets are bug gently caress crazy and the people that own the leagues and teams are doing whatever they can to squeeze every last dime out of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My personal favorite robocalls are at it again; they keep calling me to tell me that there is "no problem with my credit card." They'll claim they're from the credit card company but never, ever say which one. Then it's "however, we can..." and a suggestion that I press one and/or call them back.

I don't even have a credit card. I've never had one. Of course there isn't a problem with my credit card; it doesn't even exist!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Don Gato posted:

I didnt get telemarketers calling me until I enlisted, then everyone and their mother wanted to sell me health insurance and life insurance for some reason. Not sure what the logic was, they weren't even good plans unless I was planning on some insurance fraud or something.

Enlisted people tend to be young and stupid. The military likes to target the gently caress out of high school students to get them to enlist right after graduating. We're all morons at that age and a hell of a lot of people that join up don't do more than a single stint. A lot of them also go in for one stint just for the college money so I imagine they figure there's a lot of marks that just don't know any better and they're guaranteed to have a steady paycheck because they're, you know, enlisted.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guest2553 posted:

I guess sick kids are just an easy mark.

Sickness in general is an easy mark, especially some of the bizarre poo poo the body does or that medical science can't explain. The human body is massively complex and sometimes poo poo just goes...wrong. Plus the scammier snake oil salesmen talk about things like "not having enough energy" or "suffering from fatigue." You know, simple poo poo we all deal with periodically like upset stomachs, headaches, malaise, that nonsense. Then they blow it up in to "have you ever felt tired and nauseous? YOU ARE LITERALLY DYING OF <insert nasty sounding thing here> AND ONLY <our product> CAN HELP YOU!!!" Then they fill the bullshit with woo, pseudoscience, and "this study one time said that <thing our product may or may not actually contain> might possibly have some sort of slight chance of reducing your possibility of dying of <terrible thing> so if you buy our overpriced supplement full of <chemical somehow related to thing> you'll become invincible!!!"

Plus it doesn't help that some problems just plain aren't curable. Mainstream medicine just isn't perfect and is unlikely to ever be so you get this alt med nonsense that claims it can cure literally everything. It's sad to see people get roped into it because sometimes all they wanted was some sort of hope. Gramps is dying of cancer and the doctor said we can't do anything about it but the chiropractor said if we get his spine twisted around it'll help. Plus this naturopath said that if he chews on this herb 13 hours a day it'll cure it!!! Then when it doesn't they say "well you weren't doing it right." Well...no...you weren't doing medicine right you loving scam artist.

I mean we all deal with illness at some point in our lives. It's a fact of existence but because people don't like being sick you can sell "this will prevent you from getting sick because *bullshit bullshit bullshit*" to the right people. Think about, say, Steve Jobs deciding to treat his cancer by eating a poo poo load of oranges.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Depressio111117 posted:

One office I used to work at had a woman show up at 10 AM every day and sell us breakfast burritos out of her Dodge Neon. They were good as hell.

Still wouldn’t buy van meat though.

Somebody like that is going for repeat business and is far less likely to be a scammer. The meat van is planning on never, ever seeing you again.

Neon Burrito Lady counts on that daily income and probably doesn't want to gently caress it up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, that's actually because regulations make the alternative impossible. Nobody likes buying cars this way.

The place I got my current car from (note: I bought it used rather than new) actually does no haggle pricing. The price on the website is the price you pay. No negotiating, no shenanigans, no dickhead salesman trying to rip you off. There wasn't even a four square!

I did some research and...the price I paid was actually fair. The whole process was so painless I was legitimately confused. There was a minor issue with the car that cropped up in the middle of it all that they promised to fix. I kicked myself for not getting that in writing but they had their mechanic fix it for free the next day despite that. I expected to get dicked over on that one but they were like "sorry 'bout that, brah. Got it covered."

Typing that out sounds like fantasy especially compared to some of the other places I've had to deal with but it's actually true.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most spam calls I get don't try for a name.

Yeah most actual spamming is vague as hell. It's always "your student loans!" or "your car warantee!" If somebody was legitimately calling for those things they'd actually know, wouldn't robocall me, and wouldn't be calling from the area code I'm originally from with a number that doesn't exist.

It got to the point that they were calling me three or four times a day. It stopped when I finally just bit the bullet, said "yes I'll talk to your human," then just screamed "STOP CALLING ME STOP CALLING ME STOP CALLING ME STOP CALLING ME" into the phone until they hung up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

The student loans messages I get usually use the name of the guy who had my phone number before me, so they either got his details from somewhere or he willingly gave that up at some point. Been getting them for a year and they’re always due to expire the next day. What luck.

That sort of thing can be the worst. Before cell phones the land line number I had I guess had belonged to people who had a tendency to not pay their debts. I guess they were the type that would get credit cards, max them out, never pay them back, then change all their details. Like they'd move, get a new phone number, and whatever. I got so many calls I eventually just turned my ringer off. I got real sick of saying "they don't live here stop calling." It's like hey guys I've literally never met those people stop bothering me about their debts.

I didn't find out details about them until I bitched about it at work and one of the guys I worked with apparently happened to know them. I guess they'd both been in jail at least twice so I'm like yeah, great people those ones.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

100% this. I don't understand how it happened because that wasn't even a #1 single at any point but there was a window in 2004 where that bland rear end song was more inescapable than Uptown Funk or Hotline Bling or Thriller

I'm going to guess that a record company had the rights to all/almost all the money from radio play. Payola isn't legal now but that doesn't stop record companies from paying somebody to promote music to the stations; really they just added a step. This is part of the reason that radio has been increasingly the same few dozen songs over and over and over and over; the people that wrote them are getting gently caress all from it but the executives get it.

The music industry is really a huge scam top to bottom. The songs that get the most play are either inescapably popular or pay the record company before the musician. It's never about what song is best; it's about what makes the most money for the company owners.

Incidentally the "I heard this 500 times a day for years" is why I absolutely loathe all Christmas music. It started in like early October and didn't quit until early January. The same ten songs that were all a minute long. Over. And. loving. Over. All day. The worst thing was when random pop stars tried to make newer, cooler versions of them and it's like...it's loving Jingle Bells. You can't do much creative with Jingle Bells. Extending it to six minutes just makes it exponentially more annoying.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm old enough to remember when "payola" was an actual scandal. Now it's the entire business model. Lot's of things follow this pattern. Maybe it's always been like this and I'm just naive.

The only thing that really changed is a step got added. It's still illegal to directly pay radio stations for spins. It is perfectly legal to pay somebody to go tell the radio stations about this cool new artist you just signed to the label and for radio stations to very coincidentally only play stuff that gets promoted that way.

This is also why the record industry loathes internet radio and resisted purely digital distribution for as long as they did. Napster really threw a massive spanner in the works back in the '90s. Instead of having to pay $25 for a CD with two good songs you could just go download the songs. The labels of course wanted to still force poo poo down your throats if you wanted the two good songs but being able to buy songs piecemeal has severely damaged that. The industry is not happy and is trying to ruin it but good luck at this point. Plus like was said the internet makes it practically free to make and distribute your own music so the need for record labels is effectively dead. Indie musicians are increasingly just doing it this way. Yeah they won't become rock stars because the industry is going to prevent it unless you sell your soul but so what? You can keep total creative control of your work and not have to give 95% of the money the album makes to company executives.

The industry has been whining that album sales are down but of course they are; people are buying individual songs or just using streaming services more and more because gently caress the record industry model of "we'll make you pay for an album that is 80% garbage filler you will hate then starve your favorite musicians to death because gently caress you I need another yacht."

Internet radio is also another thing blowing up the traditional record industry. With terrestrial radio only so many stations can really exist in a given area. The internet has annihilated that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SpannerX posted:

You're just figuring this out now? Hell, my old man told me about that sort of poo poo going back to the loving forevers, but he was a lawyer so was always suspicious about pretty much everything.

It isn't a new idea but it's gotten massively worse in recent years. Having a poo poo load of desperate and/or aspiring artists and a nation that worships sociopaths and you're going to get lots and lots of this sort of thing.

It's scummy as gently caress and definitely a scam but good luck stopping it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

tk posted:

Ticket brokers with extra tickets work out deals with scalpers to try to offload them last minute. They may not have a whole lot invested in that stack of tickets themselves.

Or the stack is just for show.

It's also possible that the stack isn't even legit tickets. Or any of the tickets at all, really. I always got told to never, ever buy a ticket from a scalper because there's a real possibility that it won't even be a real ticket. Then you take it to the counter and they're like "sorry you gots to pay full price this ticket isn't legit/from a previous game." If you go back to confront the scalper he won't be there anymore.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

:wtf:

Who rounds 1024 up to 1025? Either leave it exact or round it down to one thousand (which is also the exact value if you measure in real kilobytes).

It's a baker's kilobyte.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HerStuddMuffin posted:

What’s this one about? Taking the fall for trying to avoid tariffs, or something more sinister like drug trafficking?

Yes. The short of it is that they want to obscure the actual origins of the package. The reasons can vary but that's the short of it.

It's also potentially for money laundering by shipping something of value to somebody else so they can sell it. There could also be stuff hidden in it that you don't know about. You might get like a few boxes that say they're full of tea or coffee or something that are...well, not tea or coffee.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

Jesus Christ, not everything is a scam.

Nah, everything is a scam of at least some level.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

been getting a lot of voice mail spam the last few days.

"press two to be put on our do not call list. Be healthy and be blessed."

sounds like some fundie thing.

I've been getting that too. Some Google fu seems to indicate that it's some weird insurance thing, probably scammy. It reminded me of those "not Obamacare, extra Christian" health plans that were unreasonably expensive bare minimum coverage that refused to pay for abortion or birth control or something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

This loving poo poo is like an arms race.

That's literally what a lot of the spamming is as well as internet bullshit. As soon as you figure out a way to entirely block the spammers they find ways to get around it. So you cap that and they find another way. Get too aggressive with the filter and you end up filtering legitimate things so the gently caress do you do?

Given how easy it is to just shotgun bullshit all over the world thanks to the internet right now it's gotten cacophonous.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The other side of it is that they tend to crop up in places with a lovely housing market as there are people who just want loving rid of it. A common issue is some old person dies but none of the family lives anywhere nearby anymore. Nobody actually wants the house and dealing with selling it properly is a pain. However whoever ends up owning it on paper has to pay the property taxes. Just shuffling off on whoever gets rid if the problem. Those "we will buy literally any house" people absolutely will low ball you but they'll but it RIGHT loving NOW. No months and months of showings or risk of being stuck with a house in a half abandoned neighborhood you can't sell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I think the "I BUY HOUSES NOW" thing is mostly for people who don't want the hassle of selling. Not sure I'd call it a scam totally so much as a quick solution. Like, I had a friend who was moving and needed quick cash for a car he didn't need so I referred him to CarMax, who will buy it on the spot. He was OK with it.

They're one of those weird grey area things in that they'll happily prey on the desperate or those that lack knowledge if they can. However just plain banning the practice isn't a good idea because sometimes you just really do need or want to be rid of something and don't give a poo poo if you get a bit ripped of as making the problem go away is the most important thing. Sometimes it's scammy, sometimes it isn't.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Robocalls are difficult to deal with because there's a spoofing arms race right now. I think a lot of them are also international so the FCC can't do much more than just :shrug: and wish they could do something about it.

Lately I've been getting random robocalls that don't even say what they're selling. The voicemail basically just starts mid sentence and then says "Press 2 to be placed on our do not call list!" then spouts some other bullshit. I don't even know what the calls are about. It's just the same recording of a lady telling my voice mail to press 2.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You know, I swear I put my phone on the do not call registry. Did it again to make sure but is it normal to get spammed anyway? I swear I get robocalled five or six times a day sometimes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Telemarketing was the worst job I ever had. I'd rather go back to overnighting at a convenience store and cleaning up after drunks again than do that. All they really did was buy cigarettes and puke in the sink. As long as the floors were mopped and the till was even come morning the boss was happy.

At the telemarketing place we got told that the best calls to get were old people with mild dementia because they'd sign up for basically anything. I guarantee that robocall spammers are thinking the same thing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Probably.

I've gotten bullshit calls from my OWN number before and also from my ex wife's number. Fun thing to try is call Verizon and see how few shits they give. I love how the world's largest communication companies positively suck at actually communicating

They know they don't have to care. Simple as that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Definitely feel that more accepted cons like Gillette should be talked about here more.

It isn't Gillette's fault it's the fault of capitalism and marketing, really. You can't really make something that's a significantly better product than the competitors because, well...it's just blades that you use to cut hair off of your face. Sorry but the ship of innovation has sailed on that one. So instead they rely on marketing and bullshit. "We have FOUR blades while they only have THREE!!!!" "THIS IS A MANLY RAZOR FOR MEN IT WILL MAKE YOUR DICK BIGGER I SWEAR!!!"

When really you can get the job done just as easily with a $10 straight razor you bought 40 years ago as you can with the $900 MAN BLADE FOR MEN!!!! that has 78 blades and lasts a week.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I only ever see men defending old school razors. Do any women use them? As cenotaph pointed out, that pivoting head makes a world of difference when you're half asleep in the shower at 3:45 a.m. standing like a flamingo in a slippery tub, trying to work around your knees and ankle bones.

gently caress if I'm spending more for some product because it's pink and marketed to women, though. I just use whatever my man buys. I'm a fan of the Mach 3 and its knockoffs, myself.

Despite the pooh poohing about the marketing that surrounds it the Mach 3 is in fact a drat fine razor.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Levitate posted:

razors are a scam buy a buck knife and use that to shave with every day

Be a man and shave with an ax.

No, not one of those sissy axes you buy at the hardware store a real loving battle ax. :black101:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Friend of mine just got a text msg saying his Amazon is sending out a package, and he hasn't ordered anything in months. The phone number they list is only 6 digits. What up with this?

I have no idea how they work but you can get short, quick codes like that for only text messaging. It's either that it spoofed as that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

A streamer I watch does “destructions” of usually Windows OS and often by downloading every sketchy “anti-virus” and “PC cleaner” software out there. I’ve always wondered what exactly do those free programs really do, especially these days.

If memory serves it isn't much beyond "nothing actually." They'll show you a progress bar then say your computer has quintuple computer ebolaids and if you don't send them money it will explode or something oh and your identity has been stolen already but don't worry for $500 we'll fix it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Windows Defender (and Security Essentials before it) were by far my favorite AVs. Non-intrusive, doesn't kill your performance, and completely free. My opinion has always been that since AV software has to get down into the guts of the OS to do it's job, who better to write it than the people who wrote your OS?

Yeah the windows one is really the best right now. Honorable mention to malwarebytes, though.

I think it was part of the anti trust stuff that Microsoft isn't allowed to advertise their security stuff but the big anti virus software of the past basically went insane, performed like rear end, was too aggressive, a bit porous, or all of the above. The Microsoft stuff used to be garbage but now is really the best.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Konstantin posted:

I think that retail stores have a role to play. Cashiers can typically tell if someone is getting scammed, and giving them the authority to refuse the sale would help.

The issue there is that not everybody buying $500 of gift cards is automatically getting scammed. They might just be, say, going to family gathering with a bunch of people they don't know all that well but want to get gifts and hey, gift cards! They can just use these on whatever they want. Yeah that much in cards looks suspicious and I think it's reasonable for a cashier to be encouraged to ask what's up for that reason but denying the sale automatically every time is too far.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It is well known that the internet is a series of ducts, so you may want to call them back. :ohdear:

Oh, they finally replaced the tubes? Good for them. Things were getting old.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Namarrgon posted:

People simply panic. They consume media where the government sends out black-suit-with-sunglasses-goons after you in unmarked black vans. They imagine that and all rationality goes out of the window.

But yeah a guilty conscience probably doesn't help.

The main thing scammers rely on is lizard brain responses. It's why they try to fast talk you into starting the process before you have a chance to logically think it through. If they can get the adrenaline going and the lizard brain making decisions they can make you do stupid poo poo. Nobody is entirely immune to it which is why educating people on scams is so important. Even if you go into lizard brain mode you can see the pattern and go "wait this smells bad."

This is why scammers try to confuse and catch you off guard then often will keep you on the phone or thinking about how you have to have this poo poo in that guy's hands in 15 minutes. The goal is to keep you operating at a low lizard brain level so the holes won't show to the higher functions that can tell your lizard that it's a stupid lizard.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

occamsnailfile posted:

The ones you really need to be suspicious of are the ones offering a 'free inspection', since if there isn't damage to your roof they'll be happy to cause some, claim it's from the hurricane or hail or whatever, and try to get a check.

More likely they'll just outright lie to you. "Well sure everything looks good but under the surface, things you can't see...so bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit you need a whole new roof and oh we just got these special new shingles that will bullshit bullshit bullshit but are double the price. We're having a special this week though but today's the last day so bullshit bullshit bullshit..."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If they just lie, that wouldn't work too well in most cases because the insurance company is going to require their own inspector check it out before even considering cutting a check.

Bastard, greedy insurance company just trying to weasel out of things. Don't they see that this roof needs replaced like, yesterday? You should probably cancel that. They're jerks. But hey, we'll fully guarantee this roof for twenty years for an extra 10%. That's a steal, you know?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Off topic:
Where did this come from? We have a couple guys at work that started doing it, I've never encountered it before like a year ago. Grammatically it should be 'needs replacing' or 'needs to be replaced'.

It's very specifically part of the west PA accents of which Pittsburghese is a member of. We have some very interesting linguistic quirks in these parts. That's one of those thing that I don't even realize I do until somebody points it out. As for its origins who knows? The unique linguistic stuff in the area came from a mix of a variety of people who settled here. We got the usual Germans but also Poles, Irish, Croatians, and Ukrainians. Things are Slavic as gently caress in these parts. Really, I think the accents are great.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Oh cool, thanks. I've never been able to phrase it right in google to get relevant results

e: oh good another reason to hate Pittsburgh

I live in Pittsburgh. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Well, get your neighbors to stop mangling the English language.

It's spreading, I work in NoVA with people that do it

Hell no, these linguistic shenanigans are a time-honored part of our culture.

Nah if you excuse me Imma gone dahn t'the crick t' have a bon fahr. Gonna roast me up a Pizzburgh rare steak lemme tell ya.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 19, 2018