Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So he was lucky enough to get in on the scam early, which let him be a scammer rather than get scammed. Good for him, he's a terrible person.

Yep. That's exactly what he said. Thanks for clarifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

How does it work though? I assume everyone around you know its a scam so how would it be embarrassing? Its just such a weird thing because I don't see it working at all. If you try to publicly shame me by asking loudly for money i'll just keep walking because I assume everyone else that can hear you knows its a scam. If you try to threaten me vaguely i'll just walk away because after I leave you will probably never see me again so that doesn't scare me. Who does this work on?

They absolutely present themselves in a threatening way. They can be bigger dudes and they'll use their physical stance to intimidate folks.

It's great that it doesn't work on you but a lot of people will respond to intimidation in any way they feel will end it the fastest.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Lone Badger posted:

Magistrate is a perfectly normal and common word.

Probably hasn't been used by me or spoken to me in the last 10 years at least. Your mileage may vary.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I imagine the logic is like you said, a way to keep people from walking away and making a mess of things, except that the pump will stop itself when the tank is full, so I don't know how people still manage to spill gas, TBH.

Probably doesn't warrant lawmakers getting involved, but sometimes the pump doesn't shut off automatically. Happened to me a few months ago. Granted, it was the only time it has happened to me in my 15+ years of driving.

Thankfully I was standing right at the handle and I shut it off pretty fast. It still spilled plenty of gas everywhere though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

thrakkorzog posted:

Is he still working there? I mean I could understand if someone from HR or accounting did that. But if you're working in Tech Support it seems like don't open suspicious attachments should be tech support 101. And are you hiring?

Hang him from his toenails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Phantasium posted:

I remember Microsoft used to do something like that, only I never got charged for anything. I just remember playing (or maybe cheating) a bunch of cheap browser games for points and eventually having enough for some usb headphones and never bothering with it again. I feel like that got shut down shortly after I got that prize.

I think it had something to do with inflating ad view counts that would be on each game?

It was when they were launching Bing. They were all word games and every single answer you entered would search Bing for that word in a small window next to the game.

Someone wrote a script that solved the puzzles super quickly and you could accumulate shitloads of points. I got 4 Xbox 360 controllers, Windows XP(I think) Pro, and Flight Sim X. Was pretty sweet.