Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I doubt this is common, but it was pretty dumb.

I was in a corner store, and a man offers to pay for whatever I was buying (probably a soda) - I say "No thanks."

He leaves, i finish my transaction, and outside, he says "Hey, could you give me a few dollars?" His routine doesn't even make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Here's one for Britgoons: I see around on the street (and have seen on trains) some ex-meth addicts collecting for charities to help addicts. They have the tabards (those day-glo tunics - is that what they are called?) and ID cards. I feel conflicted. If they are genuine I don't mind giving a 1 or 2. If they aren't then I wouldn't give. The thing is if you engage in conversation and check the ID you have pretty much committed to donating. Also, how am I supposed to check the ID? Write the name and number and check it by i-net later? The men themselves seem straight while collecting but are clearly ex-addicts (often they tell you this). The charities are all for recovery and rehabilitation of addicts - pretty worthy - but I don't want my money actually going towards drugs.

Suggestions/responses?

Do you get this in the US?

Don't donate on the street and find/donate to the charity directly.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

PBS posted:

I always just keep walking, I don't want to hear the story and if I do listen I'm just wasting their time because I won't give them any money.

Those of you giving out money, do you live in small cities?

This. I took a panhandler once to get food after her long-drawn story. She has tried to tell me the same story at least 7 more times in the past 3 years. She usually starts with "Do you know of any women shelters around here?" followed by "I've been on the street the past two days and haven't had anything to eat" - so confusing when the same canned story is used in the same area frequented by local people. They're bound to have repeat encounters

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I got a very angry voicemail today from a number that I've gotten scam calls from. The real owner was very upset that I kept calling her.
I sent her a nice text explaining that we both got screwed.

I picked up a call one, I say "Hello", person on the other side says

"Who is this?!"

Taken aback, I say "Look, you're calling me. How about you identify yourself" followed by the man telling me I kept calling him. We were both confused. Alas.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I still can't help but wonder who ever is buying cheap steaks of questionable origin from a predator van. It must work on somebody as it keeps coming up but really.

I had this conversation with someone, he said because he was poor, and sometimes he just wanted a steak.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tubgoat posted:

If you live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, do not EVER sell anything to Games and Go.

I kind of expect this behavior from resale shops. I had a similar experience with Cheapo Records in Minneapolis, and I knew what I had and declined. I took the same records to Electric Fetus, and the owner was pretty cool and talked me through what they'd offer, how they determine value, and were up front with what they'd sell if for. I expect any business to have a healthy margin, but Cheapo records was at like a 98% margin, vs Electric Fetus that's closer to a 40% margin.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

MightyJoe36 posted:

I can't count the number of times I've heard this from somebody who is about to get involved with an MLM scam.

I once tried to tell someone that it sounded like they were getting scammed by a MLM, and their response was "They warned me about people like you."

Nothing left to say at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

hyperhazard posted:

I had someone tell me completely seriously that apartments weren't fair because Those People don't pay school taxes, and yet their kids get to go to the same schools as homeowners' kids. Because I guess the county just throws up its hands and goes "Oh, an apartment complex? Guess they're exempt from all taxes ever."

I had someone rant at me that renters shouldn't be able to vote because "they don't pay taxes." Of course he inherited his property from his parents.