Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Off topic:
Where did this come from? We have a couple guys at work that started doing it, I've never encountered it before like a year ago. Grammatically it should be 'needs replacing' or 'needs to be replaced'.

I’ve heard people do this all around the country (that is, it doesn’t seem to be regional) for the past 15 years or so. I really don’t like it, but it’s a pretty common construction. The people I’ve heard use it tend to be from more rural backgrounds, but I’ve no idea if that’s just coincidence or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

My wife does it and she’s from northern California (actual northern, not bay area). The bit about folks from southern Oregon using it probably explains that though 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

They do. Apple got caught red-handed at it and publicly admitted to it a few months ago.

The thing Apple got caught at had nothing to do with software updates. It was shady a f, but not at all what Bigger Boat described.

They were throttling the poo poo out of devices when their battery got old and crappy (totally fine) and then having employees use diagnostic tools that couldn’t detect the battery, so they’d just recommend buying a new phone instead of replacing the battery (holy poo poo not at all fine)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

It’s also worth noting that not al breaches/exposures are discovered in the first place

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Spammers often spoof the number to look local enough that it could be important. Like was said if you have kids...yeah.

That’s why you use the phone number you got in 2003 when you lived on the other side of the country.

What, your cell phone has the area you actually live in? RIP

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Trastion posted:

Podcasts. Just what Grandma and Grandpa are listening to these days.

AARP age is 50. This age group has had smartphones for years.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If your router needs to be rebooted regularly, you have a lovely router

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If you ask JWs not to come back, they’ll generally not come back. If you try to screw with, debate, or otherwise engage with them, they’ll keep coming back until they either convert you or you ask them not to come back.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Money laundering is by far the most likely answer.

Not like you’re thinking. It’s not “turn dirty money clean” laundering, it’s “turn compromised accounts, checkbooks, etc into something worth actual money.” It’s not their money, so they don’t care if they turn a “profit”

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Get one of the 85 apps that will block calls originating from your first 6 that aren't in your contacts. Robokiller and hiya can do this; I think at&t call protect does as well. I think every US carrier has an app for that

If you aren't using a smartphone, then I think you're out of luck unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

What you described is not what I described