Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

my fiancee's parents recently were visited at their home in rural PA by a door to door meat salesman that was pushing an expensive monthly meat delivery service. was extremely bizarre, and fortunately they didn't give the salesman a chance to really make a pitch and put his hooks in. i tracked down the company afterward and wasn't surprised to see that they had extremely bad reviews -- apparently they would deliver extremely poor quality meat and when customers would try to cancel they'd just give them the runaround and keep charging them for as long as possible (presumably until CC companies got involved)

kind of a variation on a classic scam, but just seemed like the weirdest twist. expensive meat deliveries seems like a relatively difficult product to base the scam around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

man i am baffled by how many people's response was "im a sucker for this stuff, i cant not do it for $30!!!"

edit: just got to the part where people receive their boxes loooooool

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 4, 2016

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I just got a voicemail to the effect of "you broke the law, pay up ASAP or face the consequences, we're not messing around buddy!"

Pretty standard scam stuff, but the voicemali was in the jankiest computer voice you could imagine. like "Fitter Happier" from OK Computer but female. I guess maybe if you're going to fall for that scam, you're so far gone that a rusty rear end computer voice isn't going to be enough tip you off, which is actually kind of sad to think about :(