Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

Common courtesy is pretty weird. A good con man can use it that to put you on the wrong foot, so you instinctively make wrong decisions that he can exploit

but a couple bucks for a breakfast is just not worth getting into trouble over probably. Botching a dine and dash may or may not be something you can explain away depending on how smooth you are. But deliberately putting a room number other than your own down on the bill that's quite hard to weasel out of and probably not something people take to very kindly. Also, that the hotel might lose what you owe for breakfast sucks for them and you, but probably a bit more troublesome is attempting to put that charge on some random room number, since your attempt at simply stealing food now involves a third party you're also defrauding.

I noticed at my hotel in Vegas they required an ID to bill anything to the room.

Other places I've seen that allow this tend to be nicer - either rich people or people whose work is paying for the trip, so there's less incentive to cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

impulse 7 effect posted:

So what was your favorite part of defcon, this year?

defcon was cancelled sadly - the pool was nice though!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

HerStuddMuffin posted:

If you have a mailing address for your cable provider, write them a cancellation letter and send it certified. It doesn't have to be fancy, but cancellation by phone is a crapshoot with, and only with for some reason, cable companies. The few bucks you pay for the certified mail more than justifies not having to deal with those assholes over the phone, or paying for the extra months of service while they slowly decide to finally cancel your service.

I mean, usually what you do is cancel via phone, then return the equipment.

The lifehack is to return the equipment at a physical office and get a receipt. If they keep billing you don't even bother with them - call your credit card company, offer to send a scan of the receipt, and report the charges as fraudulent.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

republicant posted:

There's a class action lawsuit against the people responsible for a ton of "free cruise" robocalls, and if your phone number is listed in the call records you can be eligible to receive $300 per call up to 3 calls.

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

(Website has been swamped all day today but seems to be working now.)

I've had the same cell number for a decade and a half but somehow these scammers didn't manage to call me?! LAME

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Don't worry, they'll call you now that they know you think you get 900 $ for being called

more like a check for 2.19 after they have too many claims and the lawyers took a couple mil each AMIRITE

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/hoofnagle/status/897875605667971073

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I haven't gotten any robot phone phone calls in over a week. Here's to jinxing myself!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I've received a ton of these things ever since I abandoned my landline and began listing my primary contact number on my resume and applying for jobs with it. Seems to me we're going to need and entirely new "Do Not Call" registry, similar to the "unsubscribe" feature on span emails.

I don't get why telecoms can't make call blocking a basic feature of the service and the phone either.

Telemarketers aside, you think about things like stalkers, abusive spouses, crazy exes and other estranged parties and you'd think at this stage it'd be a built in feature rather than an app you had to install.

Semi related, since I started applying for new jobs online, I get at lest one call a week from some MLM shithead at Primerica (I think it is) who, for whatever reason, seem to think that my extensive background in offset printing, graphic design, sign making and Adobe Creative Suite would make me a loving GREAT insurance salesman.

blocking doesn't help it's a different # each time

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Set it up so that when a blocked number calls they still get the ringing tones, so the caller can't tell if they're blocked or you're just not picking up.

How does it currently work? I always assumed that's what it does - endlessly ring

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a similar system in Sweden, where each household owning a TV has to pay a yearly fee to finance public service broadcast.

They stopped using detector vans because unlike CRTs, LCDs don't leak RF noise that can be easily detected. It used to be you could get a guy come knocking and asking if you have a TV (and trying to peep into your house to see if they could see one) but nowadays they just send passive aggressive letters. I've never heard of anyone trying to turn it into a scam though.

The public service corporation tried to bend the interpretation of the law a few years ago to include computers and smartphones as well, by arguing that since you can watch public service TV on the web, any device capable of accessing the web should be licensed. Unfortunately for them the law says "...any device intended to receive broadcast..." and they failed to argue that the intended function of a computer is to receive broadcast TV.

they apparently send people out to knock on doors and it's basically the uk equivalent of harassing census workers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCZI13IWiffBVBvhQLEMUCSg

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Depressio111117 posted:

Goodbye, phone number I've had since I was fourteen.

Try not picking up.

Many of these numbers will mark you as inactive if you donít answer. They wonít stop completely but it can cut them down significantly

A new # will probably also get lots of misdials

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Got a new one the other day. Just a voicemail, from Washington (state, not DC), stating that the cops (their word, they didn't say police) were looking to speak to me over a few separate charges. As soon as I heard cops I giggled and deleted the voicemail.

One that I'm not sure if it's a scam or not, but apparently a third party seller on Amazon has/had my phone number listed as their customer support line. I've only had one interaction from a customer so far, but it was repeated phone calls until I picked up and told him he had the wrong number, which took him a little bit to believe. Anything to do about that since I have no other information for the company?

At one point a bunch of people became convinced my Google Voice number was a doctor's office. (I think I either got one that used to be, or maybe something somewhere had a misprint because people would be really insistent they had "papers" that had the number)

I would give them the correct # since they tended to be old and I felt some pity, but one old guy was really pissy and insistent that I better schedule his appointment RIGHT loving NOW or he'd make sure my supervisor fires me (and cursed a lot).

So I apologized, asked him what time he wanted an appointment, and told him to come on down at that time.

Never got any more calls after that.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just got a call earlier today from the "Windows Department in Microsoft about my computer". I egged the guy on, told him the whole thing sounded suspicious, then asked to speak to his manager, so he hung up.

He said he was in Oregon, but I looked up the number and it's a Quebec, Canada area code. That spoofing is really annoying.

You canít trust caller id

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pilsner posted:

But does it have to be $5000? My last car, a 2004 VW Polo, cost the equivalent of $4500, but I live in the country with the most expensive cars in the entire world (Denmark). I can't imagine you can't find a decent daily driver from the mid-2000's in the USA for $2000 or less. Am I wrong?

$2000 is not a lot of money in my opinion. If you can't save up $2k over the span of a few months, why borrow money to buy a new car at horrendous rates? The money will quickly be burnt in interest and fees.

Buying brand new cars is just a frivolous waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own. I always advise people to buy a 5-10 year old car, instead of new. You pay out the nose in depreciation, even if you have the cash in hand.

you live in a country with universal health care, it's a bit dumb to tell an american "oh just save the money up!", ok buddy ill schedule my broken leg for next fiscal year