Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mattel (makers of Hot Wheels and Barbie!) fell for the "OVERDUE INVOICE - PLEASE REMIT PAYMENT" scam, to the tune of $3million dollars, which only tells me my beer-money operation for printer cartridges in college was woefully unambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Off the subject, but I love caper/con men/double cross movies (House of Games, Matchstick Men, Oceans Eleven, Hard Eight, The Sting, etc.). Can anyone recommend some good con man/scam movies?
All of Leverage the TV show.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Did they actually say flatscreen TV? Because lol at the idea of buying a CRT one, even dirt cheap, in TYOOL 2016.

There's actually a thriving CRT market among arcade enthusiasts due to the limitations on the hardware in like, Mortal Kombat II

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I figure this is as decent a place as any for this question.

So I just got a call from PMC processing telling me that my sister is in big trouble for some official complaint that was filed against her. It seemed fishy as hell since they called me when I'm not all that close to my sister and it was a florida number, so I looked them up after. I'm pretty much positive it's a scam from what people are saying, but it's still eating at me.

I'm considering calling the number the lady gave me just to confirm they're trying to scam her, but what should I ask them?

Have you called, y'know, your sister, to tell her possibly scary people are looking for her/have her details?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

aren't the government and military computers notoriously antiquated and out dated? It's this weird digital arms race that I think is only going to escalate.
The antiquation is actually a benefit. Nobody writes programs in the languages these truly creaky systems run on, and they generally aren't even fit to work on the internet, just send yes/no signals over old-school copper wire, so inserting code is almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I meant the "scoring a date with your Uber driver" angle.

loving your Uber driver is apparently a thing