Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Jeza posted:

Some clowns pay to go and work on farms in dirt poor countries to be culturally enriched.

I have some friends that considered paying an obscene amount of money to pretend to be a peasant in Mongolia. They eventually reconsidered, but not for a rational reason like paying someone else to do their farm work is a bad idea.

A different group of friends were in on the scammer side. They would order cases of the McFarlane sports figures to get the rare and valuable ones (one per box of six) then they'd do a no-receipt return the regular ones for store credit at some big box store.

For anyone that isn't aware, there was a British show called The Real Hustle that ran a bunch of scams on (maybe) regular people. Some were rather elaborate scams they pulled, well beyond what the average crackhead on the street corner could manage. Entertaining watch, here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=479uU2WpjtQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I like going to places in the US where guys are hocking their CD because I pay them in assortments of Canadian change. Once I run out I just say no, though I've had a few people accuse me of being racist because I won't buy their CD.

If you actually like that music, I figured you could scam them back by getting some fake business cards printed up as if you worked at a radio station and exchanging those.