Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Razors like the Mach 3 etc are mainly just easier to use. The flexible blades and pivoting head for the most part mean you can just do it fast and sloppy with no real problems. Safety razors take a bit more time and can be harder to work around tricky areas but I've always found them to be more comfortable to shave with and produce a better shave with less irritation. Dragging 4 blades across your skin is a dumb idea that only works because the blades all suck to begin with and you need 4 of them to get anywhere.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I only ever see men defending old school razors. Do any women use them? As cenotaph pointed out, that pivoting head makes a world of difference when you're half asleep in the shower at 3:45 a.m. standing like a flamingo in a slippery tub, trying to work around your knees and ankle bones.

gently caress if I'm spending more for some product because it's pink and marketed to women, though. I just use whatever my man buys. I'm a fan of the Mach 3 and its knockoffs, myself.

I have a safety razor I use in the shower for my legs and it's generally fine. Same issues apply...harder to do a quick job with one, you have to kind of know how to use them (don't apply pressure while trying to shave along your shin bone!), but they do a nice shave and are ultimately much cheaper. That said, I shave my legs for dumb reasons and don't have to do it every single morning with the expectation that women have put upon them that my legs must be silky smooth at every possible second. My wife has tried using it as well and mainly has the problem that she has a lifetime of experience shaving a certain way with the regular cartridge razors so changing to something that works a bit differently has led to some cuts.

Like many things, if shaving becomes your hobby then you're going to end up spending stupid money on it. If you just need it to do a job, a basic razor, brush, some soap and a pack of razors will last you a long long time and you don't have to dive down the rabbit hole of buying all the fiddly poo poo and watching youtube videos of guys with shaving systems designed to maximize the shaving experience by dividing your face into quadrants and working through it in a specific fashion

silence_kit posted:

Modern safety razors are relatively expensive (still they aren't a huge expense if you re-use the cartridges many times), but they are much better than the old fashioned safety razors. The newer safety razor products are much easier and faster to use, and give a closer shave with less irritation.

There is a reason why the old-fashioned safety razor communities on the internet have a tonne of how-to's and introductory videos and guides--you have to do all of these things and buy all of these accessories to get around the shortcomings of the old fashioned razor. The old fashioned safety razor people on the internet kind of remind me of Linux users in many ways.

In my experience they absolutely do not give a closer shave with less irritation but that's just anecdotal.

There are no accessories to get around the shortcomings of a DE safety razor. Brushes and soap are just replacements for shaving foam/gel/etc that people use. Modern foams and gels have stuff in them to try to get the hairs to stand up so the razors can more easily cut them. Before that, the brush did part of that job (along with providing something to lather up the soap and apply it). You don't have to use a brush and soap, you can use foam or gel just fine with a safety razor and it'll work as well as it does with a Mach 3.

The old fashioned safety razor people on the internet are insane because it's become a hobby to them and people with hobbies do insane poo poo with their hobbies.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BiggerBoat posted:

Well....OK...thanks for all the feedback.

Confirmed then. Commercial razors are a scam.

razors are a scam buy a buck knife and use that to shave with every day

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

every disposable I've tried sucks rear end

dunno, different poo poo works for different people I guess