Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

A really good anecdote came from a guy who published his experiences with a bank that hosed up re: cheques. Basically, he got given an advertising prop that looks like a cheque on first inspection, but is clearly just gag. Like "Here's your 100k deposit YOU MIGHT BE A WINNER!" or somesuch. On a lark, he filled it out and dropped it in his deposit box. Now the bank takes over, and fucks it up by actually processing it, giving him a huge amount of available funds. He goes in, laughs, explains what happened, and is savvy to how cheques really work and clarifies that it hasn't been cleared yet. Nono assures the bank, it's cleared its yours. It obviously isn't, and he comes up with a clever way to prove the point: He asks for it all in the form of a Traveler's Cheque. WHICH THEY ISSUE.

So, bemused, he takes his traveler's cheque and walks out the door. Sure enough, eventually he gets a call saying that the issuing bank on the clearly-prop cheque doesn't exist, the clerk who processed it was in the wrong, so its getting bounced. Can he please come back with the TC and return it? Police are being involved. He confirms with law enforcement that everything he's done has been in good faith, but if he would ever attempt to spend that TC it would not be in good faith and he'd be liable for fraud. Fair enough! So he sits on it.

Thing is, with TCs, that they're written by the bank itself and are guaranteed to never bounce - that's the entire point of TCs. The money is always available and ready to be transferred to its recipient. So the local bank is now sitting with a 6-7 figure hole in its accounting, and its hurting until the drat thing gets redeemed or returned. In the end, he returns it as its the only 'right' thing to do, but he's totally pissed at how the bank manager (?) was acting towards him and was debating it. He wrote this huge long well-documented story on the web that I have no idea where it is. But its a good lesson on how cheques work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

That is something that FOSS has really been dropping the ball on in the past 5-10 years imo; its common knowledge that you don't loving change user space, yet every tom dick and harry dev thinks they're the new Steve Jobs and pushes catastrophically comical UI changes every few months. It was once one of Linux's great draws as a desktop platform; Everything is reasonable and where you'd expect it to be, very power-user oriented.

Some recent changes to Ubuntu have made me frothing at the mouth and seriously considering trying out paid OS's again. (19.10 shipped with copy/paste not working on the desktop. Intentionally. argghh)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Were you around when they introduced Unity in the first place because jesus christ
I think I fully adopted in '11, so it might have settled by then. The amazon tie-in was a huge eyebrow raiser, though. I actually strongly prefer Unity now over any gnome variants I've tried.

The Pirate Captain posted:

What possible reason could they have for something so dumb?
As it was explained to me, the file browser (Nautilus) and desktop appliance are two separate entities, with newer versions of Nautilus not yet playing nice with the desktop. 19.10 dropped the legacy Nautilus for the updated one. The work-around is to copy/paste directly to the desktop folder under Nautilus btw. This was all probably some big-picture decision to get things rolling on a short-lived release, but it still doesn't excuse shipping that crap out onto unsuspecting users updating or doing first-time installs.

Sorry that's a huge derail, but yea OS's are not in a pretty place right now aren't they? iOS is a monster that will near-brick your device for daring to not upgrade yearly, Windows is still 50% wtf-cruft from yesteryear and a security nightmare, and Linux is always a few years away from being desktop-ready somehow. I swapped to linux since I thought I was too old to be pirating Windows 2000 still, but I cannot *imagine* paying money for any of these.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

While food arriving to the table cold is a failure of a few different systems, Front of House plays its part in that. About tipping... that's a huge can of worms regarding how the States does things rear end backwards, and isn't worth derailing over.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

It's a blueberry (+stuff) muffin, you nonce.