Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005
THIS CUSTOM TITLE WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE LURKING

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hi hello I would like to ask/know what the thread opinion is on STAR CITIZEN

Thanks and namaste

I think it started as an earnest attempt to make a game, and probably still is on some level, but Chris Roberts isn't very good at schedule and budget, and when they realized they could make nine-figures by selling people pictures of spaceships the business plan evolved.

As always the smart move with crowd-funded games is to just buy it when it see a general release, if and when that happens and if the game turns out to be any good. They'll probably slap a "1.0" on whatever they've got once the fanbase has eroded enough and the money dries up but I wouldn't count on it being any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'd take an email from an official FBI barrister seriously.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

In my inbox this morning:

Ruijs, H.W. (Helen) <Helen.Ruijs@student.ru.nl>

1:41 AM (10 hours ago)

to info@mwanczyk.com

Congratulations

Mrs. Mavis L. Wanczyk has donated Three Million Five Hundred US dollars to you in order for you to help the less privilege within your community. For more details reply to back.

Sincerely,

Announcer: Ruijs, H.W. (Helen)

Dang, just how underprivileged are you. Before you got the 350 mil, I mean.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just got a text saying "You recieved 21 btc [bit.ly url] (coinbase)". So 21 bitcoin is, lets see... $160,000, hot drat!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sydin posted:

Reminds me of how back in the day Fry's Electronics paid their floor staff on commission, but swore up and down they actually didn't. It was obvious as day though because you couldn't walk two feet without an employee swooping in to ask you fifty time if you needed help with anything, and even if you insisted that no you did not they'd stalk you at a distance until they saw you pick something up off the shelf, at which point they'd run up to you and ask if you're buying it, and if so to please come to the closest sales desk with them so they can put a label on it. The label served no purpose to the customer: you could take anything up to the register without one and buy it just fine, it just put that associate's name on it so they got commission. It made shopping at Fry's absolutely insufferable.

I told this story in an old GBS thread but ~15 years ago or so I went to Fry's to buy a specific video card, went up to first sales associate I could find in the parts section and asked if they had it. He said he'd check and went back into the warehouse, but another employee was in earshot and - know there were some on the shelf - ran over to grab me one, then started putting his label on it. First guy comes back with another card from the back, sees what the other guy has done, and gets into a huge screaming fight with him about stealing his customer. After a couple minutes of this I just picked the box up off the desk and started walking towards the register, at which point first guy hastily prints out his own label and chases me to the other side of the store to beg me to let him take the other guy's label off and put his on.

So yeah sales commission is in fact a scam.

I remember hearing from multiple Fry's employees that their cashiers were also payed on commission, which is so ridiculous I'm still not sure I believe it despite hearing it from multiple first hand sources.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Someone stranger just sent me $20 on my venmo account that I've used one time to send my sister money for her honeymoon. Message attached was "Pink I back the blue". Anyone know what the deal is? I'm not breast cancer/pig adjacent so I'm not sure why someone would send me money for either of those causes. Didn't see any "decline payment" option on venmo either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

I don't want to say all work programs are bad though. I remember my hometown had a tiny farm attached to one of our prisons and some of the inmates actually rioted when it was closed down. Guess they liked it well enough there.

The problem with that is that "better than sitting around in prison" is a pretty low bar to clear so prisoners liking it isn't really any indication that it wasn't horrible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sounds like it's just another variant of the "Punch the Monkey and Win 20 Bucks!" sites that have existed since the 90s. You would punch the monkey in the interactive banner ad and be taken to moneytree.com or something, which was a tree graphic with thousands of clickable squares. Every one I ever clicked was just an ad but allegedly some would pay out $20. Or more likely the square you picked had nothing to do with the payout and it worked more like a slot machine. Pretty compelling when you're a 9 year old with a ton of free time and no money.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Poldarn posted:

Our IT department releases fake phishing emails on a regular basis to train people to hit the big "Report Phishing" button on Outlook. I saved my favourite one.

Some poor astronaut is trapped in space until they can get $3 Mil to bring him back

Actually it sounds like he's trapped until they can give you the three million.