Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Imaduck posted:

One thing I learned while working in retail was that if you're polite, keep complaining, and always ask for a manager (or the manager's manager, and so on), it's pretty easy to get anything you want. If you keep escalating things, eventually you'll get high enough where it's not worth the manager's time to deal with your poo poo, so they'll just believe what you're saying and give you whatever want for free or heavily discounted or lots of free gift cards. If you start yelling and swearing, we can kick you out, but if you just keep asking for managers, typically folks will just roll over, and you can lie to their face and they won't really fact check anything your saying.

I had one customer tell me to my face that he was going to get a manager to give him a free computer even though he knew he shouldn't get one. I even told my manager about this, but once the store manager spent 15 minutes with the guy, he just caved because he didn't want to deal with it.

I just finished up 8 years in retail management (finally escaped, yay!) and I can confirm this to be true. I was one of 4 managers in a store and basically if a customer makes a big enough stink, or if we feel they will make a complaint or if they threaten to, we would pretty much just give them what they want. A complaint against a store was viewed as a Very big deal and counts against the store numbers and even if we were 100% in the right and the customer was being irrational, upper management would still come down on us later because we should have done more to avoid the complaint. Basically they were more concerned about the store's numbers and how it reflects upper management than they were about us fighting the good fight. It usually wasn't worth it to fight.

And in my store customers could still yell and swear. I once checked with my boss to be certain and if we felt that they posed a safety risk to the people in the store is the ONLY time we could tell a customer to leave the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
This isn't really a scam as much as it is letting people take advantage of you I guess, but when I was in high school I had signed up to get a couple magazine subscriptions. For one of them (Men's Fitness, I think) I would get calls every couple of months telling me that for being such a good customer I had won 2 free issues of some other magazine. When I would say "ok" they would really quickly mumble out the fine print which was "now that you have agreed to your 2 free issues, we are going to charge you for the remaining 10 issues for the rest of the year.
The calls always had someone that talked really fast and were hard to hear, so i would end up agreeing with them before I even knew what was going on. It took me a time or two before I finally just kept repeating "I'm not interested, cancel everything, I'm not interested, I'm not interested".
Basically don't trust any company that calls you up to tell you you've won anything (except for a contest you entered, or something).