Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not so sure about this one. They loving LOOOOVE to load you up on introductory offers that end after a specific period of time and then jack the rates up massively. They also seem to call a lot during the day with those idiotic trial promotions and I have to assume they're targeting the elderly with those. My wife's two elderly grandmothers (95 and 91) both essentially got conned into signing up for a whole bevvy of poo poo they didn't need because they thought they were saving money. During the summers I work from home and every single loving call I get about upgrading my $40 internet only to $120+ (for 12 months, after which it goes up) cable, internet, phone, and cell service happens between noon and 2pm. I can not imagine young working professionals are the target group for those calls.

The way that they advertise their rates is deceptive at best.

They also don't really advertise their data caps or those costs. And of course they don't actually have a way to track your data usage in any useful way. They tell you how much they think you've used and you basically just need to trust the number. Never mind the order of magnitude discrepancy between router readings and their claim. They really need to start being regulated like a utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you're white, cops are also locksmiths. My mom locked her keys in her car and waved down a passing cop. He pulled out his slim jim and wedges and opened her car for her.

I did this one time (early 2000s) in white suburbia. The cop gave me a lot of grief and was all like wouldn't you rather call a towing company or anything other than me. But cop was already there so I was like nah you might as well. He had me sign a waiver form and he popped the lock in two seconds. I was half expecting him to just search my vehicle after but he just left. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Comcast cable box update.

I returned the remaining equipment I had but, stunningly, they had no record of me even attempting to cancel my TV and phone services and gave me a direct number to call to do it AGAIN, so the month delay for the last box I kept had nothing to do with anything. My bill WAS lower, because of the poo poo I had returned right away, but, as I suspected, they basically just left the service on because they could and I had no way to prove I had called so they billed me for it.

The dude at Xfinity store straight up told me that the delay in the equipment return had no bearing on anything and gave me the REAL number to call for cancellation so gently caress all you people that tried to hang this horseshit on me.

Except that when you call and try to argue thst you did cancel they'll tell you to pound sand because you were using the cable as they can tell on their network since you had your poo poo plugged in. Exactly like people said. No one said it was contingent on it except that if they screwed you and didn't actually cancel that you would have no evidence of it.

I wish you well and hope Comcast doesn't try to charge you for another month but you're entering the situation everyone warned you about and you're bragging that you were right all along because now you have the REAL cancellation number.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a loving arms race.

Why not extend the Do Not Call list to cell phones then? It was one of the few good things GWB actually accomplished.

Because it is already illegal to do cold calling to cell phones so they're technically opted in to a do not call list in a way.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Far as I know Avon is legit and Mary Kay isn't. Basically, if you're encouraged to recruit people to work under you, it's bullshit.

Its this for sure. Most places have some sort of referral component but if your main revenue stream comes from recruiting people then it is a scam. Always look at the product and it's pricing structure and ask yourself how it compare yo products you already know. Almost always it is clearly overpriced and offers no additional features or benefits to the competition. It is a cover to try to make their pyramid scheme legal since selling a product or service beyond recruitment is required to differentiate it from a pyramid scheme. But if the product is poo poo you'll never make money from it.

My favorite was a MLM in the early 00s that went defunct which just resold sprint service under its own name. Exactly the same as a Sprint contract (amusingly they made this a selling point to give it legitimacy) but with a healthy markup. Who on Earth would buy the same exact thing for more? And from some random stranger? It is insanity. But the pitch was all about how easy it would be to get your friends involved and all of those downline opportunities!

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 28, 2017

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Last car I bought I paid with a cashiers check because I had an insurance payout. The dealer forced me to sit through the finance guys talk and they almost tore up contract (probably a bluff) when I was refusing. And of course when I denied all their crap like financing and extended warranty the dude negged me hard. He also talked a lot of poo poo about how I must have poo poo credit to not finance etc etc. Whole buncha poo poo but then again that's where all their margin is so whatever.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Vinny the Shark posted:

Speaking of shady Craigslist ads, this brings to mind an experience I had with a job offer from the old school classifieds in the local newspaper-

Back in early 2006 I think, I answered an ad I saw in the paper. The ad stated it was looking for "light maintenance/landscaping work" for a nearby apartment complex. I called the listed number and the guy who answered told me the work was exactly what it sounded like- shoveling snow, sprinkling salt on walkways and staircases, cleaning/vacuuming newly vacated apartment units, cutting grass in summer time, etc. It was a short distance away and I was unemployed at the time, so it sounded perfect. Then the guy told me the big catch- due to the way the payroll was set up, he wouldn't be able to pay me for 3 months, possibly longer. I asked him why, and he said "it's something with my bank, they're being jerks." Sounds real legit. I told him that wasn't acceptable and hung up.

I've always wondered about this. Is it even legal to do that? Even if it is legal, what was to stop him from cooking the books and shortchanging me, or from not paying me at all? It just seemed like there are so many ways a deadbeat apartment manager could take advantage of an employee he doesn't officially have on the payroll.

Depends on state. In MN employers have to pay within 30 days of hours worked

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think I mentioned in this thread but similar with citi. Used it 4 places, then a few months later charges for Xbox appeared so canceled it. Replacement card arrives, we activate it and seal it away without ever using it. Xbox and Hulu charges appear a month later. Account closed.

If you set up a credit card for automatic payments sometimes the new # and expiration will port over automatically. For your convenience of course.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn't there a sweet spot it's good to be at for credit building, which you can be at on the date your card provider reports to the credit agencies (and they'll tell you this if you request it), which you can then pay off before the bill comes in.

A utilization greater than 0% but less than 10% is considered the sweet spot for building credit. Usage of a credit card will also help ensure it stays open and length of accounts is also a big factor (though closed accounts remain for 10 years after they're closed so it isn't an immediate hit). However, there's zero reason to "carry a balance" to have utilization reported (for the vast majority of cards at least). How most companies report it is thusly: Your payment date passes and after this your credit card company creates a new statement. When they do so, they report what the new statement balance is on your card. If you are actively using your card and within your grace period then you can pay your previous statement balance in full (thus avoiding finance charges) but any newly acquired transactions that are in the new grace period will be rolled up into your new statement balance that will be due ~30 days after. That statement balance is what is reported; but as long as you pay it in full by the payment date then you don't have to accrue any interest.

The only time you will need to pay your entire outstanding balance in full would be if you do not have a grace period (say you didn't pay in full last month) so you want to pay down the balance as fast as possible to avoid interest. If you're within the grace you can use your credit card to extract essentially net-30/45 terms.

It also should be noted that there is no historical utilization metric; once the credit bureaus get new info from your creditors, they update your utilizations and it immediately affects your score.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

baquerd posted:

Taking advantage of people who are, perhaps, predisposed to racism based on political alignment but who are obviously willing to see past that? What do you see as the positive outcome here? Because I see this as likely to create more racists.

lmfao

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

gaj70 posted:

That doesn't make any sense. The word "become" implies a change in state

And the dictionaries agree:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

1a : to come into existence

b : to come to be become sick They both became teachers.

2 : to undergo change or development The pain was becoming more intense.

It's really impressive that not only did you miss the point (I guess the missing scarequotes confused you when contextual clues were smacking you in the face) but that you also decided to bust out some dictionary definitions to really drive home how much you don't get it.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pretty sweet of the FBI to get in touch with me during the shutdown.

Subject: Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) J.Edgar Hoover Building Washington, D.C 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20535-0001

drat dawg the director of the FBI is emailing you directly about this, get on it quick

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's real easy for a dentist to claim you have [issue] and how the gently caress would you know? Not exactly simple to stick a mirror in your mouth and identify cavities. My old family dentist tried to pull this poo poo on me and claimed I had four (!!!) cavities that were really bad and needed to be filled ASAP despite the fact that I was in zero pain. Thankfully both my parents and I were moving out of the area for various reasons, so I had an excuse to not schedule the filling and go get a second opinion from a dentist near my new place. Sure enough he found nothing and pointed out that I'd probably be in considerable pain while chewing if it had been the case.

Thankfully the dentist is something you can mostly avoid as long as you're not a goon about dental hygiene, outside of uncontrollable poo poo like wisdom teeth. You can't really avoid mechanics unless you learn to wrench yourself or are incredibly lucky.

You absolutely should get cleanings every 6 months regardless of how well you think you clean your teeth. My dental insurance pays for itself with cleanings alone but even if you pay out of pocket it is worth the cost. Find one of the places with the high pressure water jet system too and you can avoid all of the uncomfortable parts of it.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah, I lived in one place where we could pick between Comcast and Verizon for cable/internet, but otherwise everywhere I've lived has a single cable/internet provider, a single power company, a single natural gas company (if it's an option at all). But it's totes not a monopoly!

No one argues they aren't a monopoly...they're referred to as natural monopolies. The reason they're called that is for any sort of utility it doesn't make sense to run duplicate lines so the only competition would be from distributors all sharing the costs of the delivery systems and using the same ones. So for natural gas you would have a set of natural gas pipelines and multiple suppliers feeding into it. For utility generation economies of scale really play a huge role so that is inefficient. Ideally a natural monopoly should be heavily regulated with pricing approved by the regulatory body.

In your case the reason comcast and verizon existed as separate internet providers is because they each maintain separate distribution systems. For comcast it is the cable tv infrastructure of coax and such and for verizon they use phone distribution of copper paired wires and fiber.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The IRS has copies of all your W2s, 1099s, etc before you ever file (assuming your employer is doing what they should). I did my taxes this year without even opening my W2 because HR Block was able to import from the IRS.

Did you use them last year? I used H&R and last year I had to enter in the information for it to initiate the pull, but this year it automatically pulled and asked me to confirm.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Cradle to the Grape posted:

There are a ton of scams like that where they prey on people's ignorance and charge a fee for something that's free if you deal with official channels directly.

When I went back to school and did my FAFSA application online, there were a couple of legit looking websites that would have you fill it out, but then ask for $50 or so for them to send it along for you.

This one is great cuz the FA in FAFSA stands for "free application"

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

There's a really good reason why health insurance companies want you to get flu shots. Those assholes are laser focused on not paying for poo poo and wouldn't cover flu shots if they didn't get massive ROIs.

Get poked friends.

That good reason is that the ACA has vaccines, including the flu vaccine, as preventive care which means they have to cover it without charging a copay or coinsurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, next time I buy a car I'm seriously considering getting a certified check for what I think is a fair price and just slapping it down on the table. I hate dealer gently caress-gently caress games enough--and find them stressful enough--that I'm willing to forgo the opportunity for a fantastic deal to not get messed with.

But if you express this sentiment some places (like reddit) you get macho dudebros coming out of the woodwork to tell you how much they saved ~*playing the game~* which, uh, kinda highlights why said gently caress-gently caress games are still around.

I've done the cashier's check a few times and it doesn't save any dealer headaches. They make their money off financing so they don't care about cash customers and they will still force you through their sales pitches for said financing. Honestly it took less time to purchase a car with financing than with cash because of how many times I needed to tell them no to their finance guy.