Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's almost like how the housing market crashed, just with cows rather than bad quality loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Woo, metropcs has incorporated the caller ID for scams from T-Mobile as of today. Made me laugh when a number called with 'Scam Likely' on my screen. I get so many of these it's unreal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reply All is great, listened to the first 15 minutes or so and it's already been crazy. Reading out the Anonymous mantra was hilarious. Indians outside of India are generally super cool and chill people but man, India is such a hosed up hellscape you can't help but feel sorry and pissed at the same time.

lol at the guy making $1,400 a day off innocent people looking down at Americans for being rich, and also for not getting out of India.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

E: misread.

Rest of the episode was great, looking forward to th= next one for sure.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 30, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

peanut posted:

one of many good reasons to keep a post-it with Martin Shkreli's personal info nearby

Inmate #16431, New York Prison System, etc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was super happy when I plugged my splitter into the random coax wire in my new place and got my TV and internet connection without issue at all. Insanely smooth.

Not so smooth? Canceling the appointment from Comcast for their engineer to come and do it, as their system insisted I needed to book one but then showed no trace of it afterwards.

Comcast services are good until something goes wrong, then uggggggh. At least we have a local store near us who usually resolve stuff without issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a pretty good way of collecting a list of phone numbers of people who answer unsolicited phone calls.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stuff selling crap like that and trying to get other people to peddle it too, my company will teach you how to sell people their very own MLM scheme! All you have to do is follow this Egyptian shaped model and

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MANime in the sheets posted:

If the caps were totally removed and $50 a month gave you unlimited data without throttling (or 200GB or 500GB or whatever Comcast is doing now) that would be a different discussion - ping becomes the only real difference at that point.

Comcast is 1TB these days, it used to be 300gb. I believe that a $50 surcharge for unlimited is also unlimited, but I'm generally happy with 'allowed to obliterate the caps 2 months in a year' we get.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here's a link that explains it. It's Comcast so I'm sure they can change their mind at any time though. It also covers the $50 unlimited addon.

quote:

We’ll provide you with two courtesy months, so you will not be billed the first two times you exceed a terabyte while you are getting used to the new data usage plan. This means that you will only be subject to overage charges if you use more than a terabyte for a third time in a 12-month period. If you use more than a terabyte two times or less in a 12-month period, your courtesy month balance will reset to two at the end of these 12 months.

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the UK it's common to get hit by a wave of 'chuggers' in the high streets, (charity muggers). They're a vile type who do their best to guilt you into paying a monthly subscription to a charity - some really well known, some unheard of. They also make it sound like they're in the streets volunteering but the ones in my old area were on about £8 ($12) an hour. They're told that they generally need 2 years worth of money from a person to break even. Scams all the way down.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's good, they definitely need regulation. A guy from a gas company tried some bullshit on me in the street, going as far to jab me in the chest with his pen when I walked past him ignoring him. Not a violent person, but really had to count to ten to stop me turning around and smashing the poo poo out of him for that one. What a oval office.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Captain Monkey posted:

Who in the world thinks 147 pounds a a year is 'expensive' for television? That's like a netflix sub.

If only the BBC had anything worth watching, then it would be a bargain.

It's draconian bollocks, and sadly the guy I asked about how legit the detector vans were who used to work for them had an Irish accent so thick I simply couldn't understand his response. But their tactics are super assholey at the very least, so if you can get around paying for it for any amount of time go right ahead.

If the detector vans were real, they certainly can't detect poo poo these days with everyone having a dozen screens in the house and none of them necessarily being TVs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fil5000 posted:

In addition to what's already been said about phreaking, from a legal standpoint it wouldn't matter. The TV license is for you to watch ANY broadcast television whatsoever, so it wouldn't matter if you were watching ITV or Channel 5 (Channel 4 is both ad supported AND publicly funded, weirdly), you'd still need the license.

I know back years ago, if you could prove you were in an area where you physically couldn't receive the BBC signals, you could get out of it.

It's all BS though, it's not a tv license it's a 'we will charge every household and dorm room £150 unless you jump through hoops' tax. If they ever turn up at your door with or without the police, tell them to gently caress off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

iajanus posted:

Not really a scam but I do enjoy having myname @Gmail.com and getting every legal document and official correspondence for every other person with my name who believes somehow that even though they've never used the address it is totally their email address so better put it on official forms.

I get this so much I considered making a thread. It’s also why I don’t bother actually using gmail because most mail I get is for roughly 5-10 other people who think it’s theirs.

The two I want to gently caress with the most are the Aussies who have a kid in some school and I now have their grade report, and whichever rear end in a top hat belongs to the NRA.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You need to read the Indian sex weirdos thread in gbs for similar, as one of the posters keeps getting batshit emails addressed to ‘Contracts’ like it’s someone’s actual name, trying to persuade them to hire Indian workers in Australia.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aren’t a lot of the download tools loaded with adware/malware these days?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I’m guessing the long game for them is they essentially get impressionable people to fork up straight cash, then use them as lead generation as it’s likely the people closest to them will at least consider the products in order to help their career. Once the leads dry up, you’re no longer of use to them and it’s over?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m sure I read the other week that republicans had passed a bill allowing exactly that to happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even better: the OX stands for Online Xchange.

The kicker? It wasn’t for MTG cards, but MTG Online cards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A year into having my number, I still get crazy amounts of calls/texts for the dude who used to have it, including from his workplace. So could be legit old number recycled from someone on bail. Who now might be coming for ya to get his number back!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Let me tell you about the time I was still a teen, downloading a bunch of poo poo like you do, and at 2am a police riot van turns up outside my house with its lights flashing.

Turns out a friend from a fairly concerned and affluent enough family hadn’t gone home after some surgery, and his parents got the wrong kid he mentioned he was hanging out with that day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can almost guarantee that a drug dealer is going to be better at spotting a fake than most cashiers.

Also it's probably best not to try copy a plan detailed on both Beavis and Butthead, and by the junkies in the first season of The Wire.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've noticed whenever a big concert is announced, immediately there are tickets up on StubHub for silly money in specific blocks/rows. Anyone know the specifics of what I'm sure is a scam? They're before any pre-sale so the only way I can see them being legit is if they're employees of the venue or similar who know they have allocations in certain places. Buying from Ticketmaster is such an rear end, it's not as if they can even rush in at the beginning of a pre-sale and buy these specific seats, as you get offered tickets rather than choose them. Doesn't StubHub require you to even upload the tickets/proof before listing even these days?

It's quite fun snagging seats straight away and looking at the ludicrous prices people set for the same block, mind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah interesting. I noticed for the concert I was looking at that it was always Row 15 in about 10 different blocks.

I know my friend has seats in the Principality Stadium in Cardiff which gives him the rights to buy tickets for that seat for each event there. Whoever does it over here is fast tho, I usually find out about new events happening because of reselling tickets that aren’t in circulation yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I spent the weekend in New Orleans so had all the usual scams attempted. I should’ve made up bingo cards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ponzicar posted:

You got them on your feet.

In NO it’s “You got them on Bourbon St”. One dude tried that on me, but telling me you like my sneakers ain’t gonna work when I know I’m wearing ugly rear end Sketchers.

Saw the NYC style guys trying to hawk rap CDs on old ladies. Lots were wearing Philly gear, as it was Super Bowl Sunday and they were obviously trying to appeal to the crowd.

The guy I gave a few bucks to gave me a fake drinking violation, and had good hustle. Had a shirt with a logo for some youth ministry thing but that might’ve just been BS to win religious peeps over.

And yeah we were there for some parades and stuff, and one of the cups I got with the queens/princess photos on the side has become a favorite drinking vessel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The student loans messages I get usually use the name of the guy who had my phone number before me, so they either got his details from somewhere or he willingly gave that up at some point. Been getting them for a year and they’re always due to expire the next day. What luck.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my number just must be on so many lists, either due to previous owner stupidity or bad luck. I don’t tend to make/take calls super often these days as I tend to use online tools as I speak with people internationally, so my recent calls list for the week tends to look like this. No reason to expect any of these are legit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry I’ve been dodging your calls, Mr. Likely.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gently caress, I have super vague memories of hearing a story recently (I don't *think* it was in here, but on a radio show or something) where one hip hop guy was attempted to be scammed by someone pretending to be another famous rapper. It got pretty far along too until something tipped them off. I wish I could remember who it was, but maybe someone else will remember it. It was pretty interesting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would tell her, by a text or something. We had someone hijack a works email here and it’s crafty to the point where it set a rule to auto delete any new incoming email too, so anyone telling us it was spamming was sent straight to trash.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably, I opened up a new account with them recently and my god they don’t stop emailing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's quite funny that the generation of kids growing up will probably use vinyl, tapes, but barely any CDs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

An idea pioneered in SA Mart, except it often costs $0.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most likely someone just typed their cell number incorrectly into the site.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

StubHub let’s you buy seats for like an hour after the start, so people crash their prices down just to get something too. The secondhand market sucks, but you can get good deals. I’m lucky to live in a market that doesn’t care about hockey, so my tickets are already cheap and I can often pick up good deals. Still see scalpers at the games though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For the last week, I've gotten the usual spam email but they've changed the sender name to Stormy Daniels. At least it gave me a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sanford posted:

What the gently caress is Shark Tank and why does all my spam for a fortnight tell me that whatever poo poo it’s trying to hock is available on Shark Tank? I’ve just deleted thirty-six spam emails from my work account and thirty-four of them mention Shark Tank either in the title or the text.

It's a TV show. Same thing as Dragon's Den if you're in a non-US country that has that instead.