Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
Has anyone seen Black Mass? Worth it?

My fiancee gets a free year round movie pass and gets to take me for free too. But we never go because we're lazy. Or we have other things to do. So we just wait til digital release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Hick Magnet posted:

Has anyone seen Anomalisa? Is it good? I really like Charlie Kaufman but I'm not a big fan of stop motion animation. They're showing it at Film Bar so I might go get drunk and watch it.

It's incredibly good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Macnult

I watched High Noon for the first time last night and it was very good. My only problem with the film is that Gary Cooper sounds like Hank Hill, and now I wish there was a King of the Hill version of High Noon.

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

alnilam posted:

I'll get us started by cross-posting myself from Cinema Discusso about a good movie i saw this weekend about chopping wood, called The Witch or The Vvitch:

So who remembers during the Nathaniel Hawthorne unit of high school english class, learning about how in puritan times "the woods" were a symbol of the spooky unknown? That is this film in a nutshell, and it's good.

To summarize the setup: a family is exiled from a puritan New England settlement and starts a homestead on the edge of :spooky:the forest:spooky:. The dad chops wood. A lot of it. They notice that every time they or the camera look at the edge of the dark forest nearby, creepy ambient music plays. Then their baby disappears, and the family starts to freak out. There's also a black goat - that's probably no big deal though, right?

First of all, it's an excellent, beautifully shot period piece of a 1600s New England puritan homestead. The dialogue was period-accurate which pleased me a lot but I could see it annoying some (subtitles wouldn't be a terrible idea). The way the house, barn, and fences were all built, the costume, the food they ate, the wood chopping... I'm not an expert in 1600s New England but there was enough attention to detail that I assume they did their research. Either way I found it very convincing.

Second, and obviously the point of the film, is that it's a great ambient horror piece. Not a ton actually happens, but there is a terrific sense of evil the whole time. Much like the family in the film, as an audience I found myself constantly on-edge and scared but not sure what I was afraid of. The times when there is actual action, it is realistic in a way that made me squirm and cringe a little. When there is an actual witchly ritual, holy poo poo is it disconcerting.

Cinematography note: the lighting and color balance stood out to me as particularly good. After the film, someone told me that apparently they used natural light to the maximum extent possible, which I think added a lot to the... primitive, squalid, inglamorous feel of the family's life.

The soundtrack contributed a lot to the ambient horror. It was a mix of scratchy creepy strings, and discordant stuff that reminded me of Ligeti (the guy who wrote the creepy choir stuff from 2001).

Oh also it has the breastfeeding lady from Game of Thrones.

Anyway it was the best horror film I've seen since It Follows. I give it 8/10, with 10/10 for the wood chopping scenes. Please discuss.

I went and saw this last night on your recommendation. I liked black Phillip. was beautifully shot and the period setting was nice. I think it was more psychological drama than horror.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i recently watched a bunch of coen brothers movies i'd missed

it was really hard to take true grit seriously after the unfiltered nihilism of A Serious Man

----------------

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
yeah

alnilam

ChairmanMeow posted:

I went and saw this last night on your recommendation. I liked black Phillip. was beautifully shot and the period setting was nice. I think it was more psychological drama than horror.

It's true, it reminds me a bit of rosemary's baby in that regard. I'm glad you liked it, black phillip is boss af

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

Has anyone seen Black Mass? Worth it?

My fiancee gets a free year round movie pass and gets to take me for free too. But we never go because we're lazy. Or we have other things to do. So we just wait til digital release.

it's really good. if you've seen the older mob movies: donnie brasco, goodfellas, the godfather 1-3, the departed, scarface, heat, public enemies, the untouchables, etc, it's gonna be similar to some of those but has it's own twists of course. the brutality in black mass was refreshing. give it a watch and tell us what you think?

----------------

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gremlins still owns.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Yobgoblin posted:

Gremlins still owns.

----------------

ScrubLeague

Saw that 10 Cloverfield Lane tonight, it's pretty good.

----------------

deep dish peat moss

Pomp posted:

i recently watched a bunch of coen brothers movies i'd missed

it was really hard to take true grit seriously after the unfiltered nihilism of A Serious Man

A Serious Man is really good, and I'm a serious man about this.

gmrfrlife
I just watched Zootopia, it is a kids movie but it was still interesting to watch. A rabbit wants to make a name for herself in the big city. It wont spoil it for anyone.

MrWillsauce

Double Dragon is a work of genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrWillsauce posted:

Double Dragon is a work of genius

the ending was sweet

----------------

• Locked thread