Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Is there a way I can make my stick a PS4 stick instead of PS3? I was using it this weekend at a local tournament and got noticeable lag on the PS4. Would rather mod instead of paying $200 if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

androo posted:

Oh shiiiit, I was all pumped to go to a big tourney today but I just realized my stick is PS3. Tourney is PS4. Is that not going to work, or will it be difficult to use?

poo poo's laggy anyway. I played at a small, friendly tournament over the weekend and my PS3 hitbox lagged enough that I was dropping some pretty easy combos.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I've been playing XCOM for the last 20 days. Has the update happened yet? Does the PC version have stick support, or do I still have to use Joy2Key?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Japanese think Westerners are freakish monsters.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Where's a good place to post rage quitters? "BlackSixteen" just pulled the plug right when I won. I remember as the KO flashed across the screen seeing he had 10 wins in a row and think, "How the hell did this guy get ten wins??" Then disconnected message. loving lol.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's the frame data for quick rise/no quick rise? Can't find it anywhere.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's up with people who have "auto" turned on there "okay" button? Every once in a while, I'll get a casual match with someone who repeatedly does light kick and clearly isn't present.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

darealkooky posted:

wow it's almost like this game that redesigned every single female character to be more attractive to specific fetishes and had literally every part of it outsourced wasn't made because capcom actually wanted to make it but because they just wanted some easy money

almost

I don't understand this comment. What other female character redesigns were there? I like concept art.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Literary guy looks like he could be cool but I find a president with a crazy blonde haircut to be a little far fetched.

Everything else is alarmingly bad.

The "fighting president" screams "THIS IS THE WAY JAPANESE SEES AMERICANS!!!!" sort of design.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, are the servers down right now, or is this my own personal problem?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Good:

Abel has a 3d model. Abel for season 2???

Bad:

African doll is literally a spear chucker.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Help Im Alive posted:

Do the dolls actually have unique movesets/what are the odds of them being added to the roster

The one with the heart eye patch used a poison move, and the African one chucked spears. Not a full moveset though, as far as I could tell.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Cat Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure the ""African"" doll is from Vietnam (she has a Vietnamese name??) but still, giving the spear-chuck move to the dark-skinned character is definitely a "should we have done this????" thing for the staff

But she has a bunch of "African" accessories.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
All I really care about is the core game versus other humans, and my internet connection is pretty good, so whatever.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

hiddenriverninja posted:

If only they changed Ryu as much as Ibuki or Juri.

Do you mean design wise? Because gameplay wise he's pretty different.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Pomp posted:

you have no way of knowing whether or not its making GBS threads out on the other guy

Roll back fixes a lot of that. Also, I actually reach out to local players and play offline.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Real hurthling! posted:

The story mode fights freeze on ko for what feels like an unintentional amount of time.

Sometimes when I load up the challenges mode (PC) it begins playing in slow motion. Makes completing some of the challenges very easy.

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed story mode a heck of a lot more than in the latest fighting games I've played, like Guilty Gear (the character stories consist of 99% static character models talking, and the story itself has virtually no gameplay) or DoA5 (kind of like this one but much more boring). I tried Mortal Kombat but I just can't get into that game at all.

Also, Ibuki is pretty fun to play, but I'm not sure I'm fond of all the changes since 4.

Yeah, without the vortex, Ibuki players will actually have to think and use footsies.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Countblanc posted:

i'm excited to tornado throw for no damage

Yup. Also, 10 frame start up, no throw invincibility, no hit invincibility on ex version, etc.

In Training posted:

If you skip any of the battles you don't get any FM ...

LMFAO.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 2, 2016

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, I play Ryu.

I know this probably sounds dumb, but I'm constantly playing against people who refuse to quick stand no matter what. Are they doing this as some sort of conscious strategy?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Jmcrofts posted:

They probably don't know how.

Naw, they're not that scrubby. I think they're just not afraid enough of what I'll do. They just wait, block and then when they are out of range, they run away. It's hard for me to maintain pressure with Ryu, even though that's his main strength since his normals are short.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

It's always the other guy's fault, right? LOL.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I play Ryu. How to fight Balrog?? Is there a way to punish him other than baiting a dash punch and neutral jumping?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I liked SF4, but I felt like I had to play it for at least 2 years before I really started to enjoy it. I started enjoying SFV right away. I also appreciate the increased aggression and reward for taking risks.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Golem II posted:

Why are the servers down?

"Maintenance." 

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, what do you guys who hate this game do? Stop playing fighting games for 9 years? Play and 15 year old game with a small group of friends? Just curious.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Baal posted:

I just play other fighting games

Such as? And how do you find people to play with?

In Training posted:

Contrary to popular belief, street fighter isn't the only fighting game series

But it's one of the few with a decent player base.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
That sounds like a lot of work, honestly. I can't pick and choose when I play. I'd like to play some obscure NEOGEO game from 1994 on an obscure online emulator client, but I don't have the time to set up matches like that. I guess I'm just glad I've got a good internet connection and I enjoy SFV.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You can literally hop on Fightcade and play random people from all over the world at most times of day in a ton of old rear end games.

It's not hard.

unless you're boxcar

lolololol yeah right. well I'll take a look if I want to play some random from Central Africa or whatever.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Does anyone who actually plays this game if the servers are down right now? Got kicked off in training mode and can't log back in.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's a good way to train against jump ins? I play Ryu, and I notice most of the time I get punished hard and lose due to people jumping over my normals/fireballs and getting big combos. I've gotten pretty good at using the standing jab to deter cross ups, but the damage is small and you can only get them with a mixup after aa jab a few times before they block everything. DPs are obviously the best way, but I feel like people always know exactly when to jump, whether they're waiting for a fireball or a slower normal.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Jmcrofts posted:

I made this a while ago maybe it'll help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fId0IjLrLE

I haven't played around with turning on multiple recordings, I'll try that.

Normally I just record about 60-90 seconds of moving, random normals and jump ins. I think my biggest issue is getting caught in the middle of trying to play neutral game, so many times I simply can't dp fast enough.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Sounds like a spacing issue mostly. IMO, play a few games where you only use DP and fireballs and don't worry about losing...just pay a lot of attention to how far away people are when they start to consider jumping in/over, back dash a bunch, and get a feel for that punish. For me I had to realize that this "game" happens at a longer range than I expected.

I'll try this too, thanks.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
This is all good advice! I'm about to get on in a few minutes, my tag is nickmeister, if anyone is up for some matches cool

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Besides no lag and being able to hear your opponent's controller clicking, was is it that makes offline play better? For some reason I feel like playing in person with someone makes them adapt and change their play style more often.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

which doll is going to be put in

I think it's going to be the Russian lady with a huge winter coat and no pants. Not necessarily a doll, but she's got the no-pants thing going on so

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Real hurthling! posted:

i really hope cammy can combo off her unsafe reversal now so that there's more of a reason to risk using it.

i also don't really understand why they would nerf midscreen throws when throws are already so weak.

i also also don't understand why its 5 new characters but i guess if they need to milk if till 2020 they can't just put out what people want right away

Considering how much they've been trying to drum up sales after the terrible launch, I'm surprised they're not bringing back more fan favorites. Because if they give us stupid characters like no-pants Russian lady, generic blonde-haired white boy in gray hoodie, etc. it's going to loving suck.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

fnox posted:

First one really, really looks like C. Viper going by how the top of the head looks like her pompadour sticking out, and how the side looks like a blazer or a jacket sticking out.

Number two could potentially be Rolento, going by how what looks like an antenna sticking out of his chest from a handheld radio (He doesn't have a handheld radio on his costume but eh, it would seem logical for a military guy to have it), and what clearly seems like a beret on his head.

I'm pretty certain number 3 is Sagat, huge dude who seems to be bald, with really prominent brow ridges and a chunky nose.

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't end up adding Decapre who seemed pretty fleshed out in story mode, but other than the shape of the head I'm not too sure she's the fourth one. It's obviously a woman though, potentially a new character.

Really no idea on the last one, it should be a new character. Seems to be wearing shorts, and either a jacket or a karate gi top with a belt.

Supposedly they're all characters never seen in SF before.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Dias posted:

If you really have to ask this, you haven't been around for too long.

To be fair to them, that includes some Final Fight characters or possible deep cuts from the extended universe. Like, I'm sure the massive fucker there is gonna be Haggar. There's some possibilities here.

I just really hope it's not going to be multiple versions of the lame rear end "doll" archetype.

Edit:

So I main Ryu. I can understand taking away the invincible DP. But apparently Ryu's normals outside of v-trigger are slower to come out. WTF? He already has the worst reach in the game, is it really necessary to make him slower as well?

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 4, 2016

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

InnercityGriot posted:

Since nobody posted it, Combofiend posted on Capcom Unity what the main focus of the upcoming balance patch would be.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2016/12/04/street-fighter-v-2017-season-our-goal

- Increasing uniqueness of character play styles
- Recovery changes after successful throws (Ryu getting free throw pressure after successful throws for example)
- Anti-Air Light attacks (This is weird for me because anti airing needs to be better in this game, but at the same time, anti air lights for certain characters are dumb as gently caress and put you in a ridiculous 50/50 even if you're on the other side of the character)
- Invincible reversal reliance (I actually agree with this one, having an invincible reversal isn't a big deal in other fighting games, but in this game where being on defense is a huge disadvantage, having an additional way to get people off becomes way more important as an option and effectively neuters some characters' offense, like Laura and Gief for example)

Full patch notes coming in a few weeks (lol) and Akuma on the 20th along with the new patch, from what I understand.

I wonder if they've put work into giving characters who only have a jab as an anti-air other options? With the invincible startup being taken away from Ryu's DP, I wonder if it will still be a reliable anti-air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I would imagine they remove the inv. frames from frame 1 or something, so you should still be able to use it as an anti-air, unless you do it right as they're on you, but it's not possible on wakeup, like nash v-trigger.

Then again, who knows.

I hope so. Otherwise, they may as well just nerf all anti-airs and make it a game completely about jumping.