Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Some would say SFV is Not Fun and Good. People have diverse opinions and we should all celebrate that. Unless they like Killer Instinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Okay, people might say "oh, bebop, you're just being a sour rear end in a top hat" about the other three, but the WORK you have to put in to get a tick throw in this game is ridiculous.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

General Morden posted:

capcom makes you work for those tick throws

cmon dias work for that pressure

why do i have to hit a one-frame link throw tho jeez

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If you don't have a normal that's +3 and leaves you point blank you literally can't tick throw chars with 3f normals.

Yep. Not even The Goddess of SFV herself, Chun-li, can do that off her cr.LP. Well, sometimes you can, I assume I'm throwing the last startup frame of the 3f normal but ugh, c'mon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The high level guys are still using throw a lot so what's the problem exactly?

Well, there are different uses for throws. Dashup throw in this game is a legit tactic and throw as a mixup on wakeup works fine still. You see a lot less throws to open up someone tho, because they're slower and short ranged. They're not USELESS, you still have to be aware of that threat, but it makes the pressure game weaker overall, especially when people figure out matchups. Also throw tech now is cr.LP or whatever your 3f normal is.

I'm poo poo at fighting games, but I'm okay at looking at stuff and puzzling out how they would work in a real scenario, I think. It's just that my reactions are that of an old man with ADHD and I have real bad anxiety sometimes, hehe, knowing all the stupid minute details don't serve well when I just blank out and eat every random thing the other guy does.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

I am also good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ZbH_FBofA

(love you baal)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Also Michael Ross and Ryan Gootecks are playing SFV with Combofiend Peter this week and to start off SFV mike hits 4 million buttons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEdyafRw9xk

Oh poo poo, look at them PRODUCTION VALUES.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Marvel EVO champs are exempt from any form of respect. They don't count.

Daigo is a drunk man that hates fighting games, Louffy is French, Infiltration hosts dangerous masked individuals on his house, Xian hosts Zhii on his house and Momochi...I got nothing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

I've had no luck with dashup throws. I get a good amount of throws in just doing them randomly here and there, but if I dash I generally get kicked or something. Speaking of grabs, I'm pretty rarely getting Laura or Mika's command grabs in, best time is after I block a Cammy move so far.

You have to make people stop pressing buttons first, people love to press buttons online because it's online gently caress i hate playing ranked with the characters i tend to pick

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just do st.HP, then some more st.HP.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RossCo posted:

I'm not sure if it's bad that I've got to the point of taking the "PC" logo next to someones name as a challenge to make them ragequit.

I guess PS4 ragers are slower on the draw.

Edit: Agree on the ham thing. It's late, I'm drunk, give my Bison VTrigger so I can mash buttons till you are dead please.

PC you can hit Alt-F4 super fast, console you might be sitting on the couch 10 feet away from the power cable.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

Sounds like he's just saying he resents defensive turtling play, in a nutshell?

I mean, most complaints about a fighting game from people that cleary don't play fighting games can be boiled down to "why are people blocking", "why are people doing combos when I don't block", and "why is this guy spamming projectiles instead of fighting me hand-to-hand".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

inthesto posted:

Does he act out supers after he does them

Juicebox should use Karin just so he can do the laugh after the super.

I mean, everyone should use Karin and do the laugh after the super.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cat Machine posted:

should be "Free To Birdie" imo, i still get dunked by this move at least once per match vs. birdie

also does anyone have any advice for consistent instant-air lightning legs, i saw this video and decided i'm playing chun wrong (please forgive the lianghubbbbb video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgfxCwQd1Y

I do 23692 (more like 2369 slide down to 2) + MK.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, people are falling over themselves to talk poo poo about the proverbial "Street Fighter 4" player in this new world of Street Fighter V, to the point they're lying to themselves about how the game works. It's amazing.

(that ain't about Novril's video, which is just...I could tell you "most buttons in SF have the same applications for the same characters. In fact I've said that multiple times on the last thread.)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

"gief please dont stare at my boobs it makes me uncomfortable"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gammatron 64 posted:

nothing to worry about, it's kind of an open secret that gief doesn't swing that way

she knows she's still uncomfortable

gief i agreed to be your beard but please don't embarrass me publicly

darealkooky posted:

e: actually watching this vid wtf is he saying? the only thing I got from it was "in guilty gear people use this button to poke/as up close pressure, except for the characters that don't, SFV works the same way"

He himself on the description gives a more reasonable explanation:

"I guess a very good alternative explanation would be to say that the latter part of the video is just general good FG design, and those things were also present in SF4, which is *technically* true, but they seem more prominent now that SFV devs increased pushback, nerfed light attacks and nerfed certain heavy attacks like sweeps. So maybe it's not an ASW thing but it's a clear deviation from the many versions of SF4. An interesting topic to discuss at least."

But also how is a "nerfed" sweep more GG/BB?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, SFV's normals system is just a simplified traditional SF system: lights are fast, short and weak, mediums are good all-around midrange pokes, heavies are slow, but have great range and the best reward if you can connect with them. It's a way to make it easier for new players to pick and play any character.

Jmcrofts posted:

Because now instead of sweep being your best long-range poke, characters have to use their "slash-like" s.MK, cr.MK, or whatever normals at midrange.

But which characters had sweep as their best long-range poke in 4 anyway? Switching from heavies to mediums I could understand as a point.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zaa Boogie posted:

Novril is at his best when making funny stuff but as soon as he actually talks about fighting games seriously you find out he has a lot of words and not a lot of thought.

Novril's site has the most in-depth resources for Jackie Chan Fists of Fire on the internet, I have no beef with the guy:

http://drunkardshade.com/2015/11/27/fists-of-fire-newbie-primer/

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

I think Sim gets wrecked by Rashid and Bison which is probably enough to keep him out of true top tier. Against everyone else though, especially shotos and grapplers, he's insanely good.

How does he get wrecked against Rashid, if you don't mind me asking? I think Sim would beat him easy on the neutral game, I still stand for my "Rashid is gimmicky as gently caress" prediction.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Foodahn posted:

https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/701947647398023168

SFV server maintenance extended "indefinitely"

Good thing I wanted to play XCom tonight!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

Vigilo Confido!

More like gently caress I Have No Soldiers Stop Sending Me On Hard Missions!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vanrushal posted:

Didn't work for me. :\ It actually tanked my fps to ~20, no matter what my settings were. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I was having similar issues and upgrading to Windows 10 solved them, which I assume had more to do with deleting all old video card driver information and reinstalling it than anything to do with Windows itself, so you could try that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

You guys know "SFVServer" isn't a real Capcom Twitter account, right?

It's getting retweeted by the official Capcom account. What is your point?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

Yeah apparently I'm wrong bc I thought the "sorry guys the servers are down indefinitely" tweet was an obvious troll, turns out Capcom is actually that bad at their jobs.

"Indefinitely" is more like "uhm, something weird's going on here and maybe this will take longer than it should" when it comes to these things.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Okay, really stupid question, but I'm having some trouble with training mode. I know you can set your dummy to perform certain actions when they guard or wake up. I was hoping to instead set some general actions that they would preform automatically without me attacking first. Specifically, I want Ryu to pump out fireballs so that I can practice countering them. How do I do that?

You can record actions with the dummy and then play them back too. It's a different dummy option in the training menu.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Timely Howard posted:

good point

uh oh sudden uncontrollable bathroom break time

you lame-rear end vega :v:

matches were fine tho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Australia should probably be segregated from the rest of the world, agreed.

(but really please limit your ranked connections to 4-5 unless you don't give a gently caress)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i mean if you don't mind i'll play you with 200 ping but don't subject people to that willingly

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

What's tacticool Taskmaster doing here?

fleeing from bad game marvel 3, clearly

i'll accept you in sfv taskmaster

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

can he zone

better than anyone in sfv

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

What game are you playing?

Oi, grade on a curve.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

Objectively speaking her buttons aren't great, but relatively speaking 5mk and 5hp are the best pokes in the game

I will accept back any previous games 5mp or 5hp in exchange for everyone else getting better hitboxes though

f+MP is a better poke and all of us should get used to using it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Well what's so great about it?

Better hitbox, similar range, even on block so you can ACTUALLY press buttons after doing it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Quiz gave me Chun and Vega, so yeah, it worked for me (GIMME GOOD NORMALS, EVERYTHING ELSE IS BLEH, I LIKE TO HOLD DOWN-BACK).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm looking forward to playing (against) burly Laura.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elf is El Fuerte. Much like the elfs of fantasy, Elf players are horrible beings that should die in a tire fire.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Double Bill posted:

Not having any characters as irritating as Fuerte is one thing this game has going for it... for now

I mean, I'm not in love with SFV (and I also wasn't in love with SF4), but it did fix a lot of the stupid BS SF4 had throughout its lifespan. Pity it also made the game MORE boring tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nogic posted:

^^^ that part is awesome

Some people are just really twitchy/spammy with extra inputs when they play. I've seen a guy who would piano HP-MP-LP twice real quick every time he broke a throw in 3S, which is like a <1 second animation or something.

I mash a lot of buttons when I get hit out of Melty habit, I can tell you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The next DLC for the female fighters will be to raid Karin's closet and come out looking like respectable, classy ladies.

Rose isn't using any of her outfits at the moment, she could lend a fancy dress or three to the non-Karin girls.