Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

F2B posted:

It's a good thing user interface isn't what makes a fighting game good. Right now the UI won't allow to me click or focus the OK button at the intro box for maintenance time.
I got stuck in a guide tutorial but managed to roll my face around the keyboard sufficiently to break it out of that one.

I say better than 4. Because 4 was so awesome with all it's risk-averse play styles and being about forcing the opponent to make mistakes rather than actually playing the game well in your own right.
Fight-by-the-numbers / "Street Fighter Hero" with all its sing-along baked-in combos made it felt like you were just getting spoon fed a game that what once was based on improvisational fighting styles as much as it was about winning an actual game. It's better than 4 broke.

Thanks to this post I now know that forcing the opponent to make mistakes is not actually playing the game well

Thank you goon sir for this revelation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This thread is too high level for me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

General Morden posted:

just make everyone elphelt and be done with it

Watashi fighto!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mika cheats by calling in her partner in a one on one fight, probably when the ref's back is turned.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Who is this Kazunoku guy, I hear James Chen talk about him all the time but I've never seen him play

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

cams posted:

is this a real thing? i'm not sure i don't commit internet people to memory so i don't know if this is jokes.

if not, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_9qEnm_Nik

Nah man that's Kazunoko, I'm talking about this other guy.

(the joke is that James Chen is really bad at Japanese people's names/nicks and constantly mispronounces Kazunoko as "Kazunoku")

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

cams posted:

that is a poo poo hole

fill it with poo poo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

So my Hori RAP4 Silent showed up today. Initial thoughts:
  • Haven't noticed any lag yet
  • I'm pretty sure I can push these buttons with a strong thought. Lots of accidental presses thanks to years of bad practice on arcade machines with some play in the buttons. Are these things touchscreens or something?
  • Man this stick is short
  • Four degrees of freedom in a joystick feels effin weird, and the DP motion feels like it's getting resistance in all the wrong places. Is there an aftermarket plate I can put in this thing or is just just an eccentricity I need to get used to?
  • Speaking of freedom on a joystick, I'm not sure I've been to the planet where this thing is silent. Every move has a noticeable clunk sound associated with it.

"Silent" in this case is like when you attach a silencer to a pistol. It's not "there is no sound" but rather "it is quieter than this other, extremely loud thing."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

When a professional gamer feels the need to tweet about beating the cpu you know you poo poo's hosed up

bhsman posted:

So Patrick Miller (who is a great follow on Twitter and wrote a free e-book on learning fighting games that you should check out) tweeted about a Necalli player who made a public spreadsheet of most-efficient punishes for every character in the game for those of you interested.

Wolfkrone is a person I've heard some not-great things about (Something like giving SuperYan poo poo after her dog died for not being Christian and yelling at Yohosie for being a lesbian) so this isn't a good look for him.

You don't need to hear the not great things, you can just look at his twitter/facebook and see them for yourself

Dude is loving bonkers

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 24, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wow that's like a billion times better than what we got

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I like it when Laura's hair clips through her arm in her winning animation

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Reznor posted:

Sports bra and boy shorts is valid. It's the basic uniform of WMMA. Some how Capcom made it worse than, mostly naked.

Serious question though. R Mika mad me question something. Is it Zang eef. Or Zan gi ef. How do we pronounce his name?

The Japanese is the latter, but English speaking westerners pronounce it as the former. I dunno which is right.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Zan gi ef. Listen to a Russian speaker for a little bit.

Edit: It's secondary to my hate of people who pronounce Ryu, Roo. Like what the gently caress?

I've heard Ryu pronounced correctly by English speakers like maybe three times in all the time I've watched fg streams do I pretty much gave up on that one

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i went to wednesday night fights and all i learned was LAURA IS THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME

Snakeeyez agreed

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

i have some real autistic FG people stories like a guy who named himself (irl too) after the combination of two pokemons' names, and his dad came with him to the first meetup he showed up at

You mean like Crunchyroll Sonic Fox, multiple time Mortal Kombat champion and furry who named himself after Sonic the Hedgehod and Fox McCloud

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

What's also hilarious is when I went to TFC, all the Smash players were cordoned off in this little room way the gently caress far away from everything else on the opposite side of the hotel :lol:

I approve of this recent trend of including Smash players to get their money and then quarantining them in a separate room for the actual tourney

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Going to tournaments you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning is actually way more fun and less stressful than entering one you're planning on winning

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Netcode is a myth

Toady posted:

"Netcode" is a made-up umbrella term; game network programmers rarely use it. I'm not sure why you're mocking the phrase "frame-dependent gameplay" either, since it differentiates a fighting game from a shooter, where players rarely interact with each other beyond hitscans. Shooters can get away with more tricks to mask the effects of latency, and they can make philosophical adjustments (e.g., preferring interpolation in order to favor the shooter). The usual tricks aren't as effective in frame-based gameplay like a fighting game, so there's no solution that won't make gamers unhappy. SFxT had a rollback system, and people bitched about frame skipping.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

fnox posted:

It's not a myth but it's just easier to explain that the code for the networking is called "netcode" instead of going through how networking for fighting games have to be designed into the engine and isn't actually a separate module or something that is put as an afterthought and can be swapped easily.

In the case of SFV the problem is that instead of having both networked machines trying to maintain a concurrent state, its sync is unilateral and causes imbalanced performance, which creates an advantage, which is dumb considering the only part actually complete in the game is the competitive end.

I was joking, that dude goes on forever about how netcode doesn't exist in the MKX thread and there is literally nothing that can ever be done to make an online experience between any two given connections better or worse

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

cams posted:

i uploaded every one i had for most of my time in ranked, i just gotta go through my youtube account and properly name them. will make a post on srk.

all i want is proof of cuntiness to pop up on google if you look them up.

Jebailey is doing you one better.

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/702685963718365184

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Okita posted:

I'm having a hard time telling if Momochi is actually hit confirming Ken's b.MP alone or if he just knows it's going to hit in certain situations.

He does it a couple of times in round 1, but here's the one I was looking at(happens at 1:05):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6-NB5MgJKk&t=63s

It looks like he might be punishing the chun dash after the blocked kikoken. Does he just know that it often comes after the kikoken so he pre-emptively throws out the b.MP and confirms the dash + b.MP together?

The chun dash is 15F, the b.MP is 21F from start to finish. I could see him confirming those two together, but if he's confirming the b.MP alone, jesus christ that's inhuman.

The addition of hitstop adds frames where he could confirm and tag on the target combo in situations where he's already expecting it to hit.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ag Bengip posted:

I think I'm with you, but how does Xrd normalise it?

All attacks in GG series have one of 5 attack levels, going from 1-5 in previous works and 0-4 in Xrd (exactly the same, just numbering system changes). Attacks can have special properties on hit like launching or stagger or whatever, but for blocking, a level 0 attack will always cause 9 frames of normal blockstun, 7 frames of blockstun on instant block, 10 frames of blockstun on a faultless defense, etc, while a level 4 attack will always cause 18 frames of blockstun, 14 frames of blockstun on instant block, 20 frames on a faultless defense, etc. Therefore if you know the attack level of a move and how many active/recovery frames it has you will always know how much frame (dis)advantage it has on block.

e: For an example, Ramlethal has a move called Dauro that has (on the just frame version) attack level 3, 3 active frames, and 16 recovery frames. Assuming I block the first active frame, that means there are 18 frames of recovery, and since it's attack level 3 (where all attacks cause 16 frames of blockstun) I know that Ram is -2 when it's blocked, which by GG standards is safe since the pushback of the move is far enough that I can't grab her. However, if I instant block the attack, I know that it becomes -6 because level 3 attacks lose 4 frames of blockstun on instant block, and -6 is quite easy to punish.

More importantly, knowing attack level blockstun values allows you to suss out frame gaps in moves that cancel into/out of each other as well. A common chain blockstring that Elphelt likes to use is her far S into crouching HS. Far S is attack level 3, which again means it has 16 frames of blockstun, or 12 if I instant block. The startup of crouching HS is 18 frames, so armed with those values I can easily see that I would need a 1 frame move (or an invincible reversal) to interrupt her in between the two moves, and no such move exists in GG. But if I instant block, suddenly the gap between the moves becomes 6 frames (far S causes 12 frames of blockstun, crouching HS takes 18 frames to come out canceled as fast as possible from the far S) and so I only need a 5 frame move to interrupt, which is very feasible for many characters.

I'm not sure if SFV actually has something like this in place already or even if it needs it, but it's pretty cool and good in GG.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 26, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

But super chip causes death

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fellblade posted:

I straight up can't do footsies.

I assume I get the idea but I stick out a limb when they're just walking into range and always lose the trade. I don't know what else to do. :(

You're doing the footsies wrong. You cannot stick a limb into a place where they are going to be and have them enter that space and still beat you. There are a few options to explain what's happening to you:

1) The move you're doing is so slow that they have entered the space already and hit you with their move before it comes out, in which case you either need to press the move even faster or pick a better move.
2) The move you're doing doesn't actually reach to the space where you think it does, so the opponent is sticking out their move and hitting your move with it. Pick a better move or change your mental definition of where the right space is.
3) The move that the opponent is doing as they enter the space where your move is alters their hurtbox such that it exits the space (think of it as if you do a sweep and they do a move that makes them hop over the sweep). In this case you're being outfootsied, and must git gud.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Burn meter not tobacco

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Are you all seriously surprised that Bebop it's playing a game he thinks is poo poo while uploading tech for it like mad, he does this with like every game including Yatagarasu and MKX

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm the delivery of "BOOM!" that sounds like your aunt trying to tell you about a meme she likes.

BooooOOOoom

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shimmy is a valid term because it describes the strategic usage of multiple prolonged microwalks

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm one of the biggest Capcom apologists out there, but I really, really don't get how they designed survival. Why give you 25 brain-dead enemies and 5 real fights? Does Ono really think anyone is getting anything out of spamming HK for twenty minutes?

I'm pretty sure that Survival mode is designed to make you hate it so much you buy the colors off the ingame store with real moneys instead, so that they can say it's technically totally free while pushing you to spend more money on the game

I mean, if color unlocks weren't tied to costumes instead of characters I might give them the benefit of the doubt but yeah

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Potemkin was really really good in Guilty Gear XX AC, but I don't remember if he was actually top tier or not

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Double Bill posted:

That's an organizer fuckup though, they should've been offline from CFN in the first place

The fact that a game is required to be offline to play is the real fuckup

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Not sure if this is a joke or I've just entered bizarro world.

Do you not see how weird it is that I'm required to sign out to play this game with someone sitting next to me without fear that some server fuckup will boot us out of our match

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

This last episode was excellent but goddammit I wanna see Hank's date! I hope his waiter spying plays into it.

Same

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Even discounting unblockables, Aegis is entirely too powerful to be a vtrigger in SF5. You already have rough equivalents with Rashids tornado which leads to one mixup with generally low reward and Dhalsims which has high potential reward but doesn't actually lock you down. Aegis locks you down and always guarantees two mixups, the first with huge reward and the second with low reward.

So either a Real Aegis will be his super or we'll get a lovely Aegis as his vtrigger.

And that's just when he puts it right on top of you

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It will appear a fixed distance away from where you are

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It will reflect projectiles but disappear after doing so once

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

it will be boring and people will defend it because sfv is about hard reads or something

Reading is hard, that's why it's called hard read

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah... but I kinda feel like he just does crazy random poo poo though and either wins big or blows up. See: his Seth.

I'm wondering if I should stop being a sad whiny baby and just deal with it or drop her, I dunno. I went 0-2 at my last two tournaments and watching Cammys get crushed over and over in Winter Brawl is making me feel a little down in the dumps.

Toward the end of SFIV Poongko's Seth was really solid and a lot of the stuff that he did that looked like hard reads were in fact situations that were heavily weighted in his favor.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ronnie's mom is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Well the Balrog one matches up with his appearance in Bison's story

Those three shadaloo people that have unique outfits are probably future characters or something idk

I'm pretty sure they're just dolls